I have never used the Cruise Control feature on any car I've ever driven

On the highway outside of major cities, with light traffic, of course...hope you're not one of those assholes who doesn't use it and constantly switches speeds, and passes me, then I'll pass you, back and forth, all while I'm at the same speed on cruise control...

<31>

I just typed that before I looked at the comments.

It doesn't save gas at all imo. I use and and wish others would use it to keep a consistent speed instead of a 15mph variance for 2 hours. Shit is extremely annoying to be behind. Or when I'm on cruise at 70 and every other fuckwad keeps passing me then I pass them 10 minutes later going the exact same speed. It honestly makes me want to side swipe people.

It's not an opinion... via physics and it will save gas.

But, good on using it.

Last thing in the world we need is people paying even LESS attention to what they are doing while driving

You can't even really use cruise control unless you're out in the middle of no where with no traffic because you always have to react to the other drivers on the road.

My car has adaptive cruise control and lane keeping. Pretty much drives itself on long stretches of highways with light traffic.

I grew up driving in the panhandle of Texas so it's straight flat land for miles and miles with nothing in between besides the occasional car or truck. You'd be dumb not to use it there. I've barely touched it since moving to Oregon/Pennsylvania. The roads feel cramped, windy, and busy as hell. I miss driving in that open space, it's relaxing.

i dont use it every day but on the open road i love it

I don’t get much chance to use it because i’m usually in traffic. But on some longer trips through the Central Valley with no traffic, it is nice to have.

I grew up driving in the panhandle of Texas so it's straight flat land for miles and miles with nothing in between besides the occasional car or truck. You'd be dumb not to use it there. I've barely touched it since moving to Oregon/Pennsylvania. The roads feel cramped, windy, and busy as hell. I miss driving in that open space, it's relaxing.

I get so angry driving in NorCal, but then when I have to visit SoCal family in Los Angeles........... it is so frustrating. Traffic is life there. Maddening .. Why waste your life trying to get places?

My current vehicle doesn't have it, but my last one did. Yeah, i liked using it at night on the highway driving home. It's great when you're tired and there's not a lot of cars on the road. It helps make sure you don't speed if you have a lead foot, which i do.

I very rarely use it. Don't have a real need for it.

I use it almost every time I drive. I hate being behind people who don't use it and vary their speed constantly instead of keeping a steady pace.

I can keep a dead-steady pace without having to use cruise control. Unless you have something new with adaptive cruise control, it would just get annoying due to people driving all different speeds.

I use it when I think about it but I don't think of it often.

Me neither. My father was a big fan of it though. I remember when he was helping me learn to drive, and he'd always try to get me to use it on the highway. I'd always question the point of it, because you can just drive normally, and I thought it gave you less control. He'd get frustrated trying to reason with me, and eventually just gave up trying to get me to use it. Every time he was driving me around though, he'd always jokingly emphasize that he was putting in in cruise control, and talk about how great it is.

Me neither. My father was a big fan of it though. I remember when he was helping me learn to drive, and he'd always try to get me to use it on the highway. I'd always question the point of it, because you can just drive normally, and I thought it gave you less control. He'd get frustrated trying to reason with me, and eventually just gave up trying to get me to use it. Every time he was driving me around though, he'd always jokingly emphasize that he was putting in in cruise control, and talk about how great it is.

Your father is a smart man.

I've used it mostly at night when making long drives on a highway. I use it to avoid speeding tickets.

It's not an opinion... via physics and it will save gas.

But, good on using it.

It actually uses more gas, unless you are on a dead flat road, then even still I don’t think it’s better.

Since it’s trying to keep a constant speed with hills it will accelerate and coast and accelerate and coast using more fuel.

I can keep my foot dead flat, and the vehicle will slow down and speed up a few mph going up and down hills but the mpg reading stays constant at 17mpg going 70 on the highway.

Turn on cruise control and it’s bouncing between 15 and 12 most times and dips to 8 up hills and briefly 30 down hills.

I wish there was a constant peddle position setting instead of speed setting with some variables thrown in there like “if < 5mph or set speed accelerate to set speed” and go back to constant peddle after that.

That would be much better on saving gas.

I only use it on road trips when there aren't a lot of drivers around. It's nice cause it's once less thing to worry about while driving.

It actually uses more gas, unless you are on a dead flat road, then even still I don’t think it’s better.

Since it’s trying to keep a constant speed with hills it will accelerate and coast and accelerate and coast using more fuel.

I can keep my foot dead flat, and the vehicle will slow down and speed up a few mph going up and down hills but the mpg reading stays constant at 17mpg going 70 on the highway.

Turn on cruise control and it’s bouncing between 15 and 12 most times and dips to 8 up hills and briefly 30 down hills.

I wish there was a constant peddle position setting instead of speed setting with some variables thrown in there like “if < 5mph or set speed accelerate to set speed” and go back to constant peddle after that.

That would be much better on saving gas.

With all else equal, if one maintains a constant speed all the time, it will save gas compared to constantly changing speed.

With all else equal, if one maintains a constant speed all the time, it will save gas compared to constantly changing speed.
No it won’t, the cruise control is constantly changing throttle trying to stay constant speed.

It’s very easy to measure your self if you have instantaneous mph readout.

Hold your foot perfectly still on flat land leading up to a hill and watch your mpg as you ascend and descend the hill. The mpg readout stays constant. You dip and few mph going up the hill, gain a few going down and level off where you were on flat land.

With cruise control on the shit will dip speed, downshift increase throttle drink gas , go over the set speed and coast a little fall down lower and accelerate again to maintain. It’s constantly fighting to maintain speed and drinking gas doing it.

It’s just hard as f and annoying to try and keep your throttle position flat while driving up and down hills and flats but better on gas.

So you give up and let the cruise control do it’s thing.

I wouldn’t drive on the highway without it. I had to make a 4 hour drive last week with a guy who also never uses it and I thought I was going to puke from the constant acceleration/ slowdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back