Social I think I'm quitting the gym

Life happens. I don't know your situation, but as you get older life gets more busy. At least for me it's family and kids and less time for myself, which then makes it more challenging to workout and train the way I want to. Not to mention setbacks from various reasons including injuries. It's fine though. I've learned to be flexible with fitness. I still lift, but I also try to find other ways to stay active even it's just getting more steps in daily, wrestling with my kids, playing soccer with my 8 year old or doing pullups with my 5 year old at the playground.

I say whatever you do just put in some type of work and find something you enjoy. Prioritize health (both physical and mental) because that's one of the most underrated investments adults neglect.
Underrated investment indeed. I tell my friend who has let himself go because of four kids to try to find a little time to exercise and try employ a healthier diet. If anything, if you want to maximize your time on earth for your kids... Gotta prioritize health. Don't want to be dead at 50 something of a heart attack.

Last edited:
I'm 37 and got bored of just lifting eventually and over lockdown basically quit working out and ballooned to 30lbs heavier than I am now.

bbSkdid.png

I picked up BJJ again about a year ago to get back in shape and just started doing 30 minute HIIT sessions with light dumbells just to work on muscle endurance and this was the change I made in 8 weeks getting ready for a BJJ tournament.

qF1YwAQ.png
Great transformation.

What do mean by lack of freedom? I'm 44 and I'm seriously considering TRT. I'm probably the fittest, strength-to-leaness I've ever been in life, but I feel I'm at the time in my life where I'd get the most from TRT, not just lifting wise, but energy and libido as well.
I would highly recommend you not get on trt unless your levels are legit low and cannot be increased naturally.

Of course there are people with medical reasons that will hinder T production that you can't control. But Id think about sleep, stress, diet, etc. first.

What do mean by lack of freedom? I'm 44 and I'm seriously considering TRT. I'm probably the fittest, strength-to-leaness I've ever been in life, but I feel I'm at the time in my life where I'd get the most from TRT, not just lifting wise, but energy and libido as well.
TRT is just rebranded steroid abuse at a low dose. You are pretty much going to be on it for the rest of your life. The injections are going to be 1-2 times a week. It depends if you are actually self administering the shot or you have to visit the doctor to receive the injection. For the first year you need to get a blood test every 3 months. You aren't also getting your prescription refilled without checking in with a doctor. If it's the regular GP then it might be easier or you might have to be connected to some random clinic. Your life has to revolve around it. Flying overseas might become an inconvenience especially if you are running hcg. You need to pack an icepack along with getting all your paperwork sorted for the syringes and medications.

Don't get me wrong. Certain people legitimately need some form of HRT because their levels are way below 300ng/dL or they are long term steroid abuser who can't really go back to their previous baseline. I am just seeing more people in their 20s-30s starting TRT. I just feel like it isn't being prescribed properly. There are too much online clinics that offer this service to people who don't really need it. They are in the business of making money from each prescription. Most people I see on TRT have other health issues or lifestyle changes that they need to sort out before they start this type of therapy.

Take a break; give yourself a chance to miss it. Come back in a month or so. Try a different style of training.

Jim Wendler squatted 1,000lbs in gear, but in his own words, "I couldn't really do anything with that strength except waddle up to the mono-lift". He lost weight, changed his training and eventually developed the 5/3/1 Program.

Wendler hasn't touched a barbell in at least a couple of years. He had reached the stage where he had accumulated so many injuries he couldn't push himself in training with free weights. So he now trains Calisthenics with a Weight Vest exclusively. Wendler says this allows him to challenge himself in training while remaining healthy.

So yeah, your training will evolve over time as you age. Doesn't mean you can't train. It just means you have to work smart as well as hard.

Good luck.
Training only has to change that much when doing roids or training stupid. That's approx 90% of people. If you train smart and stay of the roids it's not that big of a cliff you fall down.

Love it when roiders develop their special training regime after having destroyed their body. Yeah if we only knew the secrets of these supersmart people

Weight lifting has played a massive part of my life - for the past 23 years, I have dedicated myself to the routine of going to the gym, and at my peak, I was a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter. At one point, I weighed 293lbs and had tried virtually every steroid under the sun.

I recently turned 39, and I've noticed that my passion for training has fallen off a cliff. I use to get so excited to go to the gym - it was a social hub and my "happy place", but over the years it has become an inconvenience - something I have to do in order to look a certain way. Because of some pretty severe injuries, I'm in constant pain, and the lifts I used to love to do (bench, OHP, squat) I can no longer do. I'm still "strong", but I find myself navigating towards machines and full body workouts.

As of now, I am about 235lbs, still on a mild cycle, and training 3-4 days per week. My plan as I enter my 40s is to switch over to TRT, drop to 200lbs, and just focus on being really lean - I have a decent amount of equipment at home, and will try and focus on lifting for general muscle maintenance and some mobility.

This is actually a surprisingly difficult decision to make, as for my entire adult life, I was known as the "big guy", and so much of my identity was tied to my physical appearance. The last real "cycle" I did was back in the late summer (I stacked Tren and Superdrol), and I felt like absolute garbage), When I was in my 20s and early 30s I could get away with taking anything, but now, I just can't endure the abuse/toxicity.

I know there are alot of other lifters on here, and I would love to hear your thoughts as to how you transitioned you training and approach as you got older.

Try hot yoga, boxing and Tang Soo Do.

- Günter Schlierkamp, Lou Ferrigno and others dropped weights. And they do make a living of their bodies. There's no point in juycing up to get complement from stangers. You're a MD, you know you already schreded some years of your life, just life i probably did from mine.

For some reason i come back to watch Jeep Swenson and read about him. Dont you think his familly would be happy if he was still around? Or Dallas Mccarver?

Even pro-wrestlers are smaller today, and to be sincere. the matchs are far better.

1700948306011.jpeg
FD4lGEJVkAIeueR.png
4691aa30524a2e49c03f93c0bcf6f3d1.jpg

I'm 37 and got bored of just lifting eventually and over lockdown basically quit working out and ballooned to 30lbs heavier than I am now.

bbSkdid.png

I picked up BJJ again about a year ago to get back in shape and just started doing 30 minute HIIT sessions with light dumbells just to work on muscle endurance and this was the change I made in 8 weeks getting ready for a BJJ tournament.

qF1YwAQ.png

- Looking great, Bro.

TRT is just rebranded steroid abuse at a low dose. You are pretty much going to be on it for the rest of your life. The injections are going to be 1-2 times a week. It depends if you are actually self administering the shot or you have to visit the doctor to receive the injection. For the first year you need to get a blood test every 3 months. You aren't also getting your prescription refilled without checking in with a doctor. If it's the regular GP then it might be easier or you might have to be connected to some random clinic. Your life has to revolve around it. Flying overseas might become an inconvenience especially if you are running hcg. You need to pack an icepack along with getting all your paperwork sorted for the syringes and medications.

Don't get me wrong. Certain people legitimately need some form of HRT because their levels are way below 300ng/dL or they are long term steroid abuser who can't really go back to their previous baseline. I am just seeing more people in their 20s-30s starting TRT. I just feel like it isn't being prescribed properly. There are too much online clinics that offer this service to people who don't really need it. They are in the business of making money from each prescription. Most people I see on TRT have other health issues or lifestyle changes that they need to sort out before they start this type of therapy.

- I do agree with you. But that's more the case with juycing up. Were guys spend a hour or more administrating drugs..Trt is kind fast. You can miss here and there.

Did you like go completely bald and have liver damage ? I considered peds but just briefly and always think they would turn me moody. And hair loss would be fatal, I already did a transplant recently. What side effects can you notice. Are steroids overrated, as in the danger and maybe even the effects.

At the end of the day its your call bro. I would think it is important to still train but you seem yo be physically broken so a time off might be good. Then you can do 2 or 3 times at week of lightweights (not like Ronnie). Maybe bodyweight stuff which is better for mobility in general.

Regarding the steroids... that is a medical stuff but I think you are headed to TRT anyways. I would quit the actual cycle because of why not.

Sometimes we can get burnt out on it, and we have to get away from it a bit to give ourselves the chance to miss it. As others have said, consider modifying your program and trying a new routine depending on the goals you have for yourself. You mentioned wanting to stay lean, which is always good. Especially as you get older, remember to always focus on staying healthy even if you aren't focused on putting up as much weight as possible.

I post this as someone who got frustrated last year with no progress, then modified my routine, and have been seeing really great results. I'm actually returning tomorrow after a month away due to surgery/recovery. Wish you good luck and results with whatever direction you decide to go in.

Just dragged myself there, really couldn't be arsed. Thankfully the scenery made up for it.

Gyms r shit. I moved to the base of a mountain at 36 and have gone hiking almost every day for the last couple of years. Way better.

I’m 44 & kicking ass. I’m better/fitter overall now than earlier in my life.
Lost a good amount of muscle but walk around at 10% body fat year round and feel a million times better than I did when I was lifting seriously.
A little over a year later I am in better shape than I have ever been [..]

All natty and happy as hell.
I still get stronger at 44. [...] While I know I'm close to my genetic limit I'm okay with it.

[...] and I'll stay jacked the rest of my life.
I'm probably the fittest, strength-to-leaness I've ever been in life
At 50, I look better than I did at 35.
One of the best things of Sherdog.

Once you start you are on it forever and will need it to just to stay at baseline. Getting older will have some downsides but you can correct some of that through lifestyle changes like diet and removing processed sugars and chemicals from your diet. Lowering bodyfat also helps. So does better sleep and stress reduction. . It's like anything--people that use caffeine daily, NEED IT. People that take melatonin or sleep aids then NEED them because they fucked with their chemistry. Unless you have a medical issue, your body WILL do its job on its own.

I would highly recommend you not get on trt unless your levels are legit low and cannot be increased naturally.

Of course there are people with medical reasons that will hinder T production that you can't control. But Id think about sleep, stress, diet, etc. first.

Thanks for the feedback, pretty much reinforces why I never tried it to date. It's weird, but the reason I want to do it is because I feel like I'm peaking, physically, socially, and professionally, and as downer as it sounds, it's all downhill for me as I get older. I already feel the libido waning, and I know they make pills for that, but I want to stave that off until I really need it. So, I think I'd get the best "bang for my buck" by doing it now if that makes sense?

I got tested at my regular doctor and came in at 370, this is while using creatine and a testosterone support supplement from Costco that has Ashwagandah. While technically not below 300, I feel there's room for improvement. Would I be able to do it for say 3 months and then cycle off for another 3 months to not totally fuck up my body chemistry?

Thanks for the feedback, pretty much reinforces why I never tried it to date. It's weird, but the reason I want to do it is because I feel like I'm peaking, physically, socially, and professionally, and as downer as it sounds, it's all downhill for me as I get older. I already feel the libido waning, and I know they make pills for that, but I want to stave that off until I really need it. So, I think I'd get the best "bang for my buck" by doing it now if that makes sense?

I got tested at my regular doctor and came in at 370, this is while using creatine and a testosterone support supplement from Costco that has Ashwagandah. While technically not below 300, I feel there's room for improvement. Would I be able to do it for say 3 months and then cycle off for another 3 months to not totally fuck up my body chemistry?
You either do TRT for life or you do not do TRT at all.

Back