IGN's Lists 125 Top Nintendo Games Of All Time...

The list is good.
I would personally put mario rpg and goldeneye in the top 10

still can't believe i have my nintendo and legend of zelda: ocarina of time, and majora's mask.

Killer instinct not in the top 150 best nintendo games? Right....

I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it :eek:

How could you omit a game with the best title theme for a fighting game, of all time? I mean this shit is epic. Literally. Defines the ninties's in one song..

It's an IGN list what do you expect. They got shit ass games like Excite Truck, Blast Corps. and other games I've never even heard of on there. Like the Wonderful 101, F-Zero X Expansion Kit, Pushmo, Mario Artist, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan? They couldn't fit Wave Race Blue Storm and Killer Instinct in there over one of these?

Last edited:
I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it :eek:

How could you omit a game with the best title theme for a fighting game, of all time? I mean this shit is epic. Literally. Defines the ninties's in one song..

It's an IGN list what do you expect. They got shit ass games like Excite Truck, Blast Corps. and other games I've never even heard of on there. Like the Wonderful 101, F-Zero X Expansion Kit, Pushmo, Mario Artist, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan? They couldn't fit Wave Race Blue Storm and Killer Instinct in there over one of these?

Jesus, that really is the 90's in a song.

I think the list may be restricted to Nintendo development. Nintendo published Killer Instinct, but they didn't develop it- Rare did.

The one thing I remember most about Killer Instinct in the arcade was the "Coming 1995...Nintendo Ultra 64!" message at the beginning. It was also in Cruis'n USA.

Jesus, that really is the 90's in a song.

I think the list may be restricted to Nintendo development. Nintendo published Killer Instinct, but they didn't develop it- Rare did.

Then why is Goldeneye, Blast Corps. Perfect Dark and several others in the list? Rare was owned by Nintendo for a time, so essentially they were a first party developer for Nintendo.

Then why is Goldeneye, Blast Corps. Perfect Dark and several others in the list? Rare was owned by Nintendo for a time, so essentially they were a first party developer for Nintendo.
I didn't read the list over looking for other examples. Looks like IGN gunna IGN.

No Contra?
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

And I feel the original Metroid should get a higher spot.
That game was brutally hard and incredibly complex for it's time

This list, and IGN in general, are just abysmal.

I think we, the posters of these hallowed halls, should make an online gaming website, to churn out quality article and rankings.

I'll fund it.

I'm dead serious.

No Contra?
Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

And I feel the original Metroid should get a higher spot.
That game was brutally hard and incredibly complex for it's time
Jesus, Contra is missing, too?

You know, this shit might have been acceptable in 1988 when the magazine itself was responsible for retrieving and compiling...no, you know what, not even then. A simple phone call could get a list of games. Now with Wikipedia they literally have the entire catalog of games at their fingertips, and they still omit some of the most beloved classics of all time.

If Nintendo failed as hard at video games as IGN does at reviewing them I'm pretty sure I would be on a ranch seething with hatred for computers and preparing for the impending war against the robots.

Jesus, Contra is missing, too?

You know, this shit might have been acceptable in 1988 when the magazine itself was responsible for retrieving and compiling...no, you know what, not even then. A simple phone call could get a list of games. Now with Wikipedia they literally have the entire catalog of games at their fingertips, and they still omit some of the most beloved classics of all time.

If Nintendo failed as hard at video games as IGN does at reviewing them I'm pretty sure I would be on a ranch seething with hatred for computers and preparing for the impending war against the robots.

Final Fantasy getting no love either.
The original was groundbreaking and set the stage for the genre on consoles and helped form one of the biggest franchises in gaming history, yet gets beat out by the likes of Banjo-Tooie, Excitibike, like 15 Pokemon games and Paper Mario...

Bullshit, even if you don't like FF, it still is a travesty for it to not make the list in any of it's Nintendo incarnations is just a kick in the dick.

Hell, I bought the SNES for the express purpose of kicking Kefka's ass and it was a GREAT game, one I am currently playing on my Ipad.

Ugh...I don't know why I even read it when it is done by IGN.

Really tho, we should combine our powers and create a tech/gaming website, complete with a forum.
For gamers, by gamers.

I'll join you on your ranch and prepare incendiary rounds for the upcoming robot army

To the people posting obvious omissions like castlevania, dragon warrior, final fantasy, contra, etc...

Those were not made BY nintendo. Killer instinct (hell, even KI2 was awesome) is the only egregious omission... especially with some of the utter trash that made it on the list.

And the arcade version of KI was made by Rare and released by Midway.

To the people posting obvious omissions like castlevania, dragon warrior, final fantasy, contra, etc...

Those were not made BY nintendo. Killer instinct (hell, even KI2 was awesome) is the only egregious omission... especially with some of the utter trash that made it on the list.

Exactly. I think they missed the point that it's top 125 First Party Nintendo games.

And the arcade version of KI was made by Rare and released by Midway.

Published by midway and nintendo, developed by rare...thus why there was a nintendo advertisement during the game and on the cabinet.

As others mentioned, perfect dark was published by rare and nintendo, and developed by rare but is on the list.

Lol this

Actually, that's not accurate as our collective presumption, as it were, appears to be erroneous; according to IGN, Nintendo was NOT a first-party developer on Rare games, but had exclusivity in publishing their second-party development of games like Killer Instinct. All this confusion could have been avoided if the TS cared to print the criteria and/or link:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/the-top-125-nintendo-games-of-all-time
IGN said:
1) Developed by an internal Nintendo studio. The bulk of the games on the list fall into this category.
2) A Nintendo-owned brand, with development handled by a third party, in close cooperation with Nintendo itself. Examples include F-Zero GX, Wonderful 101, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
3) Developed by a second-party developer and released exclusively for Nintendo platforms. Most Rare games fall into this category.

Nintendo merely publishing a game that was developed by a third party does not make it eligible - for a game to be considered a "Nintendo game" in our eyes, Nintendo has to have had a hand in the development process itself. This excludes games like Golden Sun (developed by Camelot and published by Nintendo) and Meteos (developed by Q Entertainment and published by Nintendo).

Back