I'm Fine With GSP Not Defending BUT Not McGregor

Belt or no belt, Conor is one of if not the most talented fighters in the organization. There has never been a striker in the sport that has been better at dictating the fight.

Did you post this after he vacated? I'm confused as you don't defend a title if you've vacated It?

He does not have to force himself to eat in order to fight at MW. I am not arguing that it's ideal for him to fight at MW, but he chose to fight there and he became the champion. I would prefer to see him honor what he said before the fight that it's in his contract and Whittaker is next. His illness can be both real AND an excuse.

If course he is a natural WW. I didn't make him fight at MW nor did I want him to fight here. He took that circus show title shot. It is not true that he can't make MW. He just doesn't want to without bulking up first.

Okay, you actually are reasonable which makes me hopeful. In the past two weeks, you're the first person I wrote to who isn't completely irrational about that whole thing.

I understand what you're saying. I also think it would have been nice if he fought Whittaker, but at the same time, I can't really fault him for deciding to not put himself at a weight disadvantage. He's 36, he has 3 fight left at best, maybe 2. He said he wanted to come back for high profile/money fights and the UFC tried to twist his arm.

Now, this is my opinion, I can't prove it, but giving everything that I read, I think he really, really wanted to comply and defend the belt. Even Freddy Roach who first said he shouldn't stay at MW was starting to talk about GSP fighting Whittaker. But with his weight cut going atrociously, I think he said to himself : "Fuck this shit. I don't need this. It's not good for me. I have to think about me first"

And... well, he's not wrong. I just wish he came back at WW instead and stuck there.

Double standards on Sherdog.

Anyway...Conor wins again.
The UFC should make them fight as punishment. The would give GSP his three weigh class championships. And everyone is happy!

GSP put his time in he was one of the most influential fighters in the UFC growth and a great champion. Always fought legit contenders (aside from diaz) and defended his belt multiple times. Conor won a few fights got a gift title shot and just sits around during his athletic prime

That would be absolutely stupid, and it's silly to try to suggest that he should do that rather than heal and then come back at a weight class that he belongs in.

He chose to fight at that weight class. Nothing silly about expecting a champion to defend rather than run because someone might have a few pounds on him. Whittaker isn't exactly gigantic.

Why should he be obligated to defend something that he vacated? what's the problem? who cares if he never planned to defend the belt? If Dan Henderson won the belt against Bisping, he planned on retiring. You're not obliged to Defend the belt—you're obliged to defend OR VACATE, which is what he did.

Are you mad that he mislead you or something? it's business, that's all.

I'm just calling it like I see it. The problem is his lying to get the fight that didn't make any sense and then running from the legitimate middleweights. I don't like that he was allowed to have that stupid fight and that some people are ok with him taking that handpicked fight and running. It makes the "sport" look really stupid.

He chose to fight at that weight class. Nothing silly about expecting a champion to defend rather than run because someone might have a few pounds on him. Whittaker isn't exactly gigantic.

I'm just calling it like I see it. The problem is his lying to get the fight that didn't make any sense and then running from the legitimate middleweights. I don't like that he was allowed to have that stupid fight and that some people are ok with him taking that handpicked fight and running. It makes the "sport" look really stupid.

He made the sport look stupid by getting colitis and vacating and thus allowing the sport to progress unhindered by him? Holy shit man. Relax. The division will move on as it should. I suggest you do the same.

You honestly seem to think that he wants this disease.

McGregor is way more egregious because he's sitting on the belt while he doesn't defend. GSP's move, while disappointing, doesn't blockade his division.
He blockaded the division for a year to prepare for the fight. Fuck! Jacare and Romero are older and I would have loved to see them fight. Do people not know that Bisping the great MW champion was under pressure to defend again after giving the 46 year old Hendo gift? When he got a whiff of that GSP money he had an injury to take care of and wait for GSP. A whole year of that bs and Rockhold isn't getting younger and we lose Mousasi

Yeah he wouldn't want 8-900k PPV buys, he'd be better of sticking with DJ headlining a card.
If GSP wants a WW title fight he'll get it. Who else is there to fight Woodley?
Lol if GSP wants to fight Woodley. Know GSP's personality and you know he would never, ever go into a cage with Woodley.

He made the sport look stupid by getting colitis and vacating and thus allowing the sport to progress unhindered by him? Holy shit man. Relax. The division will move on as it should. I suggest you do the same.

You honestly seem to think that he wants this disease.

The disease isn't forcing him to leave. He wanted to leave from the beginning which people conveniently ignore. It's a convenient excuse. Vacating and not holding up the division is better than what Conor did but it doesn't magically make the stupid fight and running vanish.

The disease isn't forcing him to leave. He wanted to leave from the beginning which people conveniently ignore. It's a convenient excuse. Vacating and not holding up the division is better than what Conor did but it doesn't magically make the stupid fight and running vanish.

Where is your proof?

In my eyes, he had two options: vacate, or hold the division up while he recovers from his health issues.

He chose the right option.

They both disappoint their fan by not defending. However, more respectfull to others in the division to let the belt go...

I mean GSP actually defended the WW belt loads of times before.. is not in his prime.. fighting at a weight to heavy

While McGregor is yet to defend either of his 2 belts.. is in his prime.. talks loads of shit

Hardly close but whatever ts

If you're making excuses for either man, you're just being a blind fool.

Two fake champions, but at LEAST Conor actually beat the real champion. At LEAST Eddie beat a true champion in dos Anjos.

I hate Conor more than anyone, but this fake GSP rewriting history angle is just ridiculous. The guy ducked Anderson for years, now he pulls this stunt?
I do not understand your point. Bisping beat a true champ as well to get his belt? WTF?

The UFC and GSP completely fuck over Whittaker and the MW division if GSP doesn't defend.

The UFC and GSP completely fuck over Whittaker and the MW division if GSP doesn't defend.
How, you think the belt will no longer be legit? If GSP looked invincible, than yes (like JBJ always dropping the belt to the #2 guy). But everyone expected Whittaker to destroy him, thus Whittaker belt will have enough prestige IMO.

Bisping and mcgregor both have a record number of title defenses.. ZERO! Its so impressive! well at least bisping tried to defend.
Bisping defended vs Hendo... and almost lost

Even prime Anderson Silva couldn't get the Roy Jones Jnr fight made.

What kind of comparison is that? The fucking UFC wouldn't let it get made! Just like they refused to let Aldo challenge for another belt
<bball1>

Long post, which makes it a little bit difficult to address, just because of the sheer amount of bullshit, here... but let's try to address a lttle of it, anyway:

1. The whole "I'll fight, but only for the right payday" shtick isn't exclusive to Conor. It applies to literally every fighter on the roster. Your delusional if you don't think that GSP would fight Whittaker for the right payday, just as much as Nate would fight Woodley for the right payday, just as much as Conor would fight Tony for the right payday. Hell, MM would fight Stipe for the right payday. Your whole argument that Conor has stated he wants to fight, but only if he gets paid enough, is a non argument. The same is true of everyone.

2. GSP's titles are every bit as "lineal" as Conor's. Conor won his FW title from Aldo, who was promoted to champion in 2010. GSP won his WW belt by beating the lineal champ (BJ Penn) in a title eliminator and then the current champ (Hughes) in a title fight. Conor won his LW belt 8 years after it was last stripped from a champ. GSP won his MW title 15 years after it had last been stripped from a champ.

3. Bisping fucked up MW, not GSP. GSP held the MW belt for a month before relinquishing it back to the rest of the division to fight for. Conor has held the LW belt for 392 days without defending and, like it or not, may never defend.

I'll leave it there for now.
Great points. Rest our case

How, you think the belt will no longer be legit? If GSP looked invincible, than yes (like JBJ always dropping the belt to the #2 guy). But everyone expected Whittaker to destroy him, thus Whittaker belt will have enough prestige IMO.

How can a belt be legit when the 2 previous champs relinquish at the same time?

Back