Imagine Islam asking for BJ Penn (almost Stipe's age) as a champ lol. That's basically what Jones is doing...

The fight hasn't even happened and it's aged poorly.

New MMA fans in the future will not be more generous.

This fight took way too long to happen.

Stipe likely can compete with the top 10 or maybe even top 5, but isn't where he was - whereas BJ can't even compete with the top 15 at LW or FW.

It's more like if a champ called out Aldo after he lost a couple fights and seemed like he should retire, or if O'Malley called out Cruz right now.

BJ Penn?? Not exactly the best comparison lol. Stipe has one lost and prior was champion. He's just been incactive but still highly ranked and a top HW.

Not even close to the same but keep thinking ur brilliant bro I'm sure ur mom agrees

How the fuck you relate Bj Penn ... is astounding.

Dumb. As. Fuck.

Stipe beat Francis and DC
Stipe is still in UFC.
He lost to DC, and got revenge. Then DC dipped, as did Francis.

Penn's last win was 2010 against Matt Hughes. Remember that guy?
Bj then fought 8 fuckin times without a win.

And this is "Stipe" due to ... age?

EbPX1.png

BJ's last win was in 2010 lol.
Stipe is still amongst the cream of the crop at HW.

TS what is you talking about son?

Stipe will be 42, will not have fought for more than 3 years and will be coming of a loss. Yeah he's a HW legend, rightfully so, but the champ shouldn't be fighting old washed up legends. You are free to do it if you don't have the belt, but not as a champ. But if you have the belt, that's wrong and weak from you to be asking for that fight when there are better contenders.

I also really don't see what a win over Stipe right now will do for Jon's career. You can't fight a legend totally out of his prime and say you're the greatest in that division.

Uriah Hall defeated Anderson Silva when he was washed up, no one is calling hall the MW greatest of all time. This whole thing is just retarded.

90% of the fans want to see Jones vs Aspinall. Dana just won't book it because Jones told him he's only fighting Miocic or not at all and ofc Dana would prefer making money than not at all.
Jones knows Aspinall can cause him problems while Miocic is a joke.

100%

there are a few JJ stans flailing but even they know

The funny thing is how many people accused Khabib of retiring because he’s “afraid” to lose his 0 and negatively comparing him to JBJ, meanwhile it’s pretty clear that Jones is cherry picking Stipe to protect his 0 lol. The irony.

The difference of course being Jon has been champion longer than Khabib was even in the UFC.

Championship history doesn't do that much to warrant a title shot when he's coming off a loss and hasn't won in nearly 4 years when the fight can take place.

Even that pales compared to the fact that an interim champion has been crowned though. When there is an interim champion there is no excuse to not unify the titles as soon as the champ is ready, save for the interim champ getting injured when the time comes. Everything else is invalid if one wants to keep things legit.
laugh-smile.gif

This guy still thinks the interim title means anything other than to justify the cost of a PPV / tickets.

Obviously any comparison of BJ to Stipe is silly, but I get what TS is saying… this whole situation is just fucking ridiculous.

If it’s not logical that any champ, no matter what weight class should only fight top game (#1 contenders and in some cases, LIKE THIS ONE, the interim champ), then it’s all just a joke.

Not a funny one.

I’m really surprised at how many ppl have been completely writing off Stipe in this possible matchup. MMA fans have very short memories. Before beating Gane, Jones had several very poor performances against lesser competitors.

Obviously, this isn't a fair comparison by any means. HW fighters fall off much later, so you cant compare a LW and HW based only on age. Also, beyond that, BJ Penn had a truly incredible fall off in his fighting ability. We've never seen someone in MMA plummet so drastically as BJ, there's really no evidence Stipe has done the same.

Jon is only 5 years younger than Stipe. Islam is 13 years younger than BJ.

Totally stupid comparison, they are absolutely nothing alike.
Almost exactly what I was going to say too

When did Stipe go on his 8 fight winless streak? Then retire. ....

Stipes 8-2 in his last 10

Till then these situations are not the same...

Stipe is still active and was champion before Ngannou...and is the HW GOAT ...
Well he's clearly not still active. It'll be more than 3 years between fights, nearly 4 since his last win, and over 6 years since his last win over someone who wasn't also a semi retired 40 something.

I do agree that Jones should vacate the belt if he wants to fight Stipe. The fight against Aspinall is much more compelling. I also understand why Tom is frustrated, putting on a lot of solid wins in the division against top contenders only to miss out on the real title shot, while another fighter got the title shot based on accomplishments from a lower weight class. It kind of reminds me of Conor getting the LW title shot before Khabib due to his fame.

I don't think Jones ever claimed to be the greatest HW (correct me if I am wrong). Most people saing he is the HW GOAT are probably trolling, can't be a divisional GOAT with 1 or 2 wins in that division.

Also with your thread title, i think the big difference is Jones is 36 while Islam's 32. So Jones calling out Stipe would be like Islam calling out someone who is 37 and retired for many years
Jon should keep fighting as long as he keeps winning, HW has always been the old man division. He can find success there imo.

Stipe is trying to make a few mill and would like you all to STFU.

I was thinking it's more like Islam asking for Conor but sure

The difference of course being Jon has been champion longer than Khabib was even in the UFC.
So your argument is that if you have a long reign as champ it's ok to duck in order to protect your 0? Lol. Dumb argument. If you're against fighters who duck to protect their 0 you should be against it for everyone. Double standards.

Back