• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

in 26 months, Usman won the title and defended it 4 times

I'm NOT a fan of Tyrone Woodley, BUT the ONE thing I'll give him credit for is within 365 days of winning the WW title he had defended the belt 3 times.

Look it up.

If Usman winning the title and defending it 4 times within 26 months makes him nearly the WW GOAT over GSP... well, that means Woodley has the stronger case for surpassing GSP over Usman.

So, am I saying that? Woodley > GSP > Usman? Absolutely not. I'm saying that the number of title defenses within a certain time frame is irrelevant. Its impressive, yes, but the number of impressive and dominant performances against top competition is far far more important.
Win streak

Win streak

Yeah, Usman's last 7 opponents are the only ones that can be described as 'Top Talent.' While each and every one of GSP's fights in the UFC... including his very first fight against Karo Parisyan... were against Top Talent.

That's 22 fights, 2 of which he lost and avenged, 16 title fights, winning the WW title twice and the MW title once.

I'm not saying Usman has a LONG way to surpassing GSP because even as GSP said the competition gets better and better, but, IMHO Usman needs a few more title defenses to have a convincing argument to be considered the GOAT WW Champ. GSP won the belt for a 2nd time in the rematch against Serra (unifying it, he won the interim belt in the 3rd match with Hughes) and defended it 9 times, so I'd say Usman needs a minimum 6 defenses before being in the WW GOAT discussion.

I will say that Usman KOing Masvidal - which no one has ever done before in 50+ MMA fights - is a big feather in his cap.

He’s a real fighter & a true champion. He’s a little cringe I suppose but as a fighter you cannot deny him.

Now he is one win away from Matt Hughes most dominant streak of 5 consecutive title defenses(13 consecutive wins total).

What a champion, he is making Welterweight great again!

Clear cut p4p #1 fighter in the world and legitimate challenger to GSP's legacy

Approximately 2 fights a year is pretty standard for a champ.

(1 fight/6 months is pretty much equivalent as 1fight/ 5.2months)

Matt Hughes would look like a LW in the cage with Usman.

Hughes is a legend and was damn good in his prime, but Usman eats him all day.

Yeah I was annoyed with his calling out of Masvidal, but at least he didn't hold much up and did it quickly

Khabib is P4P more dominant than Usman, but if he moved up, I would favour Usman. Usman dwarfs Khabib, size isn't everything but Usman is well rounded, hits hard, very big & excellent wrestler. If Usman was not such a great wrestler, stylistically it would be a much better fight for Khabib, but as it stands, Usman is a great wrestler who also happens to have a good size advantage on Khabib
Nah. Burns is better than anybody on khabibs resume

That’s like 2 fughts a year which is commendable

I like the Matt Hughes hate. Get at me when usman fights all over the world beer various rule sets and has almost 60 fights.
dude hughes lost to Hallman twice, and only lasted like 15 seconds each time.

he is rubbish and was never good

Nah. Burns is better than anybody on khabibs resume

I think Burns is 1 of the best WWs but who has he actually beaten that was highly ranked & in their prime? Woodley & Maia are dinosaurs, the 2 oldest guys in the division basically. Based on resume, you cannot logically argue Burns is better than everyone on Khabib's resume

I think Burns is 1 of the best WWs but who has he actually beaten that was highly ranked & in their prime? Woodley & Maia are dinosaurs, the 2 oldest guys in the division basically. Based on resume, you cannot logically argue Burns is better than everyone on Khabib's resume

Who has gsp beat that’s as well rounded as burns? He never finished any threats like that. Usman did. It’s not like gsp knocked out Thiago alves

Khabib is P4P more dominant than Usman, but if he moved up, I would favour Usman. Usman dwarfs Khabib, size isn't everything but Usman is well rounded, hits hard, very big & excellent wrestler. If Usman was not such a great wrestler, stylistically it would be a much better fight for Khabib, but as it stands, Usman is a great wrestler who also happens to have a good size advantage on Khabib

Agreed. Usman has never been taken down and he’s faced stiffer competition with wrestlers / grapplers. Conor pretty much took Khabib down and was able to get to his feet when taken down.

Usman is outstanding in areas that can give Khabib fits and I can’t see Khabib finding success where he is at his best.

Yeah, Usman's last 7 opponents are the only ones that can be described as 'Top Talent.' While each and every one of GSP's fights in the UFC... including his very first fight against Karo Parisyan... were against Top Talent.

That's 22 fights, 2 of which he lost and avenged, 16 title fights, winning the WW title twice and the MW title once.

I'm not saying Usman has a LONG way to surpassing GSP because even as GSP said the competition gets better and better, but, IMHO Usman needs a few more title defenses to have a convincing argument to be considered the GOAT WW Champ. GSP won the belt for a 2nd time in the rematch against Serra (unifying it, he won the interim belt in the 3rd match with Hughes) and defended it 9 times, so I'd say Usman needs a minimum 6 defenses before being in the WW GOAT discussion.

I will say that Usman KOing Masvidal - which no one has ever done before in 50+ MMA fights - is a big feather in his cap.

Finally a rational GSP fan. Realistically, Usman needs 2-3 impressive wins at WW to be the GOAT WW, and 1 impressive MW win (doesn't have to be a title shot) to surpass him in all-time rankings.

Pretty much everyone thinks Usman is easily 1 of the biggest guys in the division. You are 1 of the few that think otherwise. You are actually the first person I've read who suggests Usman is between 180-185 on fight night. Every thread I read refers to Usman being the bigger guy (eg read the threads on his fights vs Burns, Colby, Mas, even Woodley).

In fact, people say the fact he has crazy cardio is suspicious for a guy who is so jacked & muscular. He is 2 inches taller than Khabib too. He definitely looks bigger than Mas IMO (& almost everyone else on this forum). Khabib looked out of shape at his 170 fight, does not carry the weight well, Usman looks like a action hero at 170 fight. You are entitled to your opinion, I will disagree respectfully

I estimate Usman to be just under 5'11, lowest 5'10.5 (he's slightly shorter than Rashad) and Khabib to be slightly under 5'10, lowest 5'9.5. I would estimate an inch to an inch and a half in height difference. Usman has a way the bigger upper body and way longer limbs. However Khabib has a bigger lower body, Kamaru is Joneseque when it comes to legs.

I do agree that Usman is bigger, but I feel that Khabib is a bigger 155 than Usman is a 170er. From the fact that Usman weighed in at 169.5 his last fight and Khabib missed weight before. Keep in mind Leon Edwards, Damian Maia, and Khamzat make 170 and are in the 6'1-6'2 range filled out .

Also, here is an interesting video on how deceptive weight could appear.

Who has gsp beat that’s as well rounded as burns? He never finished any threats like that. Usman did. It’s not like gsp knocked out Thiago alves

What the heck are you talking about? My post that you replied to was about Khabib being P4P more dominant than Usman, not GSP being more dominant than Khabib (I still said Usman is too big & would beat Khabib though). Now you change it by talking about GSP instead of Khabib? I think you need to reread or get some rest, maybe you're too tired

I honestly didn't expect Usman to smoke Masvidal the way he did. But hanging around with Ngannou and Stick Bender will have you upping your striking.

If he's not the best WW ever, he can be considered with just one more defense to go.

As long as Usman keeps making improvements and goes on a finishing tear. I am fine with him being champion.

Finally a rational GSP fan.

Hell, I don't even consider myself a GSP fan. I just call balls and strikes.

Putting it simply - He's the only one in the GOAT discussion that has never lost against someone he didn't later avenge, even when he was now considered 'Out of their prime.'

With the other fighters in the GOAT discussion who are now retired, Fedor and A.Silva, we like to remember their dominance of their prime years... and not afterwards when their records were... well... not dominant.

The P4P GOAT discussion is different than the P4P Prime GOAT discussion.

Now he is one win away from Matt Hughes most dominant streak of 5 consecutive title defenses(13 consecutive wins total).

What a champion, he is making Welterweight great again!

Clear cut p4p #1 fighter in the world and legitimate challenger to GSP's legacy

i know right, and more dominant than anyone at the moment

Back