In hindsight, Silva’s performance vs Adesanya is impressive

Silva did alright defensively.
But he also did not attempt much offensively. (Sure, part of his style to bait for counters - but still)

I feel like Whittaker gave himself a better chance of winning. He threw several hard shots that could've landed.
Silva never seemed close to landing much and never came close to winning a round. His attempts to counter looked less dangerous than Whittaker's attempt to bum rush.
Whitaker never came close, rewatch the fight. All his punches missed except for like 2 jabs. Not only could Rob not connect, but he was over extending and getting off balance because of it constantly.

Sure... Two great fighters have a great fight.

After two great fighters compete, only one fighter is now great?
I did not say that. What i said was, are we giving credit for losing now?
Anderson Silva does not need to be congratulated for losing "not that bad" , he has enough accolades of him winning

Incorrect.

It's unusual but it does happen. For instance Fedor admitted to go easy on the armbar vs. Hunt to avoid injuring him badly.

The fact that you ignore these things in MMA doesn't mean they cannot happen.

Cheers.
That is very different. If Fedor felt that kimura slipping, or Hunt didnt tap, he would have given it full force, and broke the elbow, but no need breaking arms if you still win.

He was 28/29 years old, is that not a fighters prime or what?? He also was better in a cage and not a ring

Cormier is old too and easily controlled him. Dc murders at heavyweight and he would mop Anderson.

Just like GSP sucks because he lost to Serra? Now you are being silly.

Dc is not slow :l. Anderson is great but no way he’d be that good at light heavy. He cut down for a reason and he didn’t wanna fight shogun
Sure, Anderson was probably better at MW, and that is why he stayed there, but I have no doubt he would beat Shogun. Anderson always said he didn't want to fight Brazilians, unless he had to/they were first in line.

DC is slow and sloppy, but always a strong, big wrestler, and was nearly 40 lbs heavier than Anderson that night. A prime Anderson would KO the big man. DC couldn't do much, except lnp, even with the huge size advantage. I do like Israel vs DC.

Jones probably beats prime Anderson.

Andersons the GOAT. Also dont forget Brad Tavares's performance vs Style

I actually really enjoyed this fight. Have watched twice.

I did not say that. What i said was, are we giving credit for losing now?
Anderson Silva does not need to be congratulated for losing "not that bad" , he has enough accolades of him winning

Nothing new about giving credit for losing.

Fight of the night ? It usually takes two great performances to get that bonus.... Being congratulated with accolades of cash is as real as it gets.

I saw enough "flashes" of old Anderson in the fight with Israel to enjoy the matchup... And he is pretty old to be performing that well against a guy Bobby Knuckles couldn't last two rounds against..

Sorry if you thought I was twisting your words Bro... It's an interesting conversation and the Israel title fight against Whittaker sort of makes Anderson's performance against him at least a bit more interesting.

He'd old and tired, but god damn it he's one of the best to ever do it. Always put hespect on Anderson's name.

Sure, Anderson was probably better at MW, and that is why he stayed there, but I have no doubt he would beat Shogun. Anderson always said he didn't want to fight Brazilians, unless he had to/they were first in line.

DC is slow and sloppy, but always a strong, big wrestler, and was nearly 40 lbs heavier than Anderson that night. A prime Anderson would KO the big man. DC couldn't do much, except lnp, even with the huge size advantage. I do like Israel vs DC.

Jones probably beats prime Anderson.
Shogun, Rumble, Machida, Rashad, Rampage, Wand, Liddell, Romero, Rockhold, Weidman, Jones, Cormier, Mousasi, are all tough fights for him. No way he beats all of them except Jones. Anytime he faced a wrestler he was controlled, against sonnen he resorted to cheating the second time.

OP ain't wrong. The fact that Silva was 43/44 years old at the time and lost a split decision to the future champion is crazy.

Better yet; How many strikers have made it past 40+ years and can still hang with the top 5? Strikers tend to age worse than wrestlers.

Shogun, Rumble, Machida, Rashad, Rampage, Wand, Liddell, Romero, Rockhold, Weidman, Jones, Cormier, Mousasi, are all tough fights for him. No way he beats all of them except Jones. Anytime he faced a wrestler he was controlled, against sonnen he resorted to cheating the second time.
Sure. Many good fights. Out of the Wrestlers, I only think Jones poses a treath, but Machida would be fun. Mousasi too.

Prime Anderson had one of the highest td % in all of mma. Sure, a wrestler could take him down, but a slow, sloppy one would probably be KOd cold.

Izzy was playing with Silva.

This, don't think he was really trying. Israel was hardly aggressive and didn't bother pushing the pace like he has against other guys who didn't fight him aggressive. Just being kind to the old Silva so he could make him look better.

Sure. Many good fights. Out of the Wrestlers, I only think Jones poses a treath, but Machida would be fun. Mousasi too.

Prime Anderson had one of the highest td % in all of mma. Sure, a wrestler could take him down, but a slow, sloppy one would probably be KOd cold.
But sonnen, hendo, lutter, and Weidman all got him down, lutter even mounted him. Someone like Romero would be a tough matchup for him. Appreciate ur conversation even though we disagree, respect to all legends

Silva embarrassed himself in that fight.

That is very different. If Fedor felt that kimura slipping, or Hunt didnt tap, he would have given it full force, and broke the elbow, but no need breaking arms if you still win.

Not the kimura, the armbar. He went easy on that and that cost him losing postion. He could have lost because of that, and Fedor had a lot to lose.

But sonnen, hendo, lutter, and Weidman all got him down, lutter even mounted him. Someone like Romero would be a tough matchup for him. Appreciate ur conversation even though we disagree, respect to all legends
Sure, like I said, a wrestler will prob get him down sometimes, but he still had some of the highest tdd % in all of mma, And a lot of the fight will stay on the feet. To be fair, Weidman And Sonnen were both past Andersons best years, And in Sonnen 1 he was injured. That is why the rematch was so good to see. Hendo And Lutter were good fights And decisive wins.

Romero is fun And a special fighter, but he is sloppy And easy to hit. He Also slows down after the 2nd. He never does lnp. I am also not sure how good his wrestling is the last couple of years. He has had little success with it, And even been «outwrestled». I think he would be a perfect opponent for Anderson.

Yes, all legends deserve respect :)

Not the kimura, the armbar. He went easy on that and that cost him losing postion. He could have lost because of that, and Fedor had a lot to lose.
That is not the same as going easy on one of the most dangerous strikers in all og mma for the entire fight. Nobody would do that, And risk that.
It is not a movie. Try to stand in front of someone in a ring yourself. No matter What kind of opponent, you will be «terrified» of making a mistake, especially when leading by points. DC And Israel had everything to lose. They knew that one good hit from Anderson would end the fight. It is also illegal.

Again, if Fedor knew it was slipping, he would have broken it. I am
Also not so sure about his «story». That was a special time in Fedors life And career.

Nothing new about giving credit for losing.

Fight of the night ? It usually takes two great performances to get that bonus.... Being congratulated with accolades of cash is as real as it gets.

I saw enough "flashes" of old Anderson in the fight with Israel to enjoy the matchup... And he is pretty old to be performing that well against a guy Bobby Knuckles couldn't last two rounds against..

Sorry if you thought I was twisting your words Bro... It's an interesting conversation and the Israel title fight against Whittaker sort of makes Anderson's performance against him at least a bit more interesting.
I have an issue when the highlighted gets mentioned
If we look at that fight in context of that fight alone, yes we can argue that Anderson performed better or Israel performed worse
But I don't buy mma-math
All cool bro

The Chris vs Israel book it. According to performances against Silva and Silva’s primes logic The Chris should murder Israel

ANderson should fight WHitaker!

Back