Is it legal to burn a rainbow flag?

There has been outrage and a man ticketed in Canada over rainbow coloured crosswalks having tire-marks on them.

Driver ticketed after skid marks left on Pride crosswalk in Grande Prairie

Saskatoon’s rainbow crosswalk damaged by tire marks

Fort McMurray Pride crosswalk defaced week after it was installed

Fort Langley's new rainbow crosswalk defaced by heavy tire marks

png0917nrainbow-01.jpg

giphy.gif

Lmao this is actually what got me thinking about this in the first place. But the news item I saw about tire marks on a rainbow crosswalk was from Halifax.

Something just came to my mind, I wonder if any lawyers or anyone well versed in the laws of the US or Canada would know the answer to this. I know that in these countries as well as a few others, it's completely legal to burn the nation's flag as an act of protest. Obviously if the flag is stolen from someone, or if the fire is started in a reckless way that presents the danger of causing injury or property damage the person can be charged. But if it's a contained fire as part of a protest you would be covered under freedom of expression to burn an American or Canadian flag. As low as my opinion of people who tend to do that is, I fully agree with the law.

But what if someone burned a rainbow flag under the same conditions? Could they be charged with hate-crime offenses at all? Does anyone know if something like this has ever come before the courts? Sorry if this is a topic that has come up and been played out before but I can't remember anything like it. Closest I can think of was all the drama with people burning Qurans a few years ago.
is it legal to burn any other flag in america like a mexican flag or french flag? thats what i want to know.

is it legal to burn any other flag in america like a mexican flag or french flag? thats what i want to know.

Not illegal to burn any flag as far as I know. If I see the US flag being burned, I'm going to get triggered and intervene.
Any other flag, I don't care enough to intervene, but I probably don't see the point in it, either.
Either way, you're trying to desecrate what that flag stands for, I'd say. No other reason to burn one, right?
<Fedor23>

I really like rainbows. They are cool and magical and shit. Rainbow is also a badass band, praise Dio!

I hate how rainbows have been hijacked by the gays. I support your rights and all but can you please stop monopolizong the concept of rainbows? Leprechauns came up with it first, stop stealing! Rainbows used to be cool but you made them lame and gay.

Make Rainbows Great Again!
1976_Rainbow-Rising.jpg
Strong AV to post correlation here.

I think that's a bit different

If he did it on purpose, no matter what was painted there, that's vandalism

Could be hate speech in Toronto...

Thats what I was just thinking. In the us the first protects you but i could see it being against the law in canada now days and maybe england too

Yea I would definitely think it is. Some countries have laws where you can't burn any national flag though, not just their own but any country's. Some European countries have laws like that I believe.

Something just came to my mind, I wonder if any lawyers or anyone well versed in the laws of the US or Canada would know the answer to this. I know that in these countries as well as a few others, it's completely legal to burn the nation's flag as an act of protest. Obviously if the flag is stolen from someone, or if the fire is started in a reckless way that presents the danger of causing injury or property damage the person can be charged. But if it's a contained fire as part of a protest you would be covered under freedom of expression to burn an American or Canadian flag. As low as my opinion of people who tend to do that is, I fully agree with the law.

But what if someone burned a rainbow flag under the same conditions? Could they be charged with hate-crime offenses at all? Does anyone know if something like this has ever come before the courts? Sorry if this is a topic that has come up and been played out before but I can't remember anything like it. Closest I can think of was all the drama with people burning Qurans a few years ago.

This just shows how hate crime laws are a trojan horse to destroy free speech.

If you are a real liberal, you support free speech, whether that is burning American flags, rainbow flags, Israeli flags, doesn't matter. It is speech, and to be protected.

Then we have the NPC liberal, who thinks what the MSM tells them to.

Probably a hate crime. Which is no surprise as the only ppl that would burn one also burn kaepernick jerseys and crosses in their moms backyard.

Thats what I was just thinking. In the us the first protects you but i could see it being against the law in canada now days and maybe england too

You would be crucified by the media and then charged with a hate-crime in Canada for burning a pride flag. Even the prime minister, Justin Trudeau, would condemn it through twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but it doesn't seem like a very productive thing to do. I don't really see the point in burning flags.

Nope, not illegal. Immoral, yes, but not illegal

Is it a hate crime? or a freedom crime?

I really don't care, i'll burn every flag in the world at the same time.

What does burning a flag accomplish?

It's legal in the US, period. I'm not sure it would be legal in Europe in general. You probably wouldn't get any prison time though but in many euro countries that could be considered as an incitement to violence and be penalized.

“Persecution fantasy”

Learn a new terminology everyday here...

Back