Jumping Full Guard. Opinions?

It is jumping gward 2.0
Stop living in the past.
I’m pointing out that even people who are entirely opposed to jumping guard generally have no opposition to flying triangles/armbars or jumping guillotines or rolling kneebars or whatever.

Conflating the two is not going to convince anyone who is opposed to jumping guard.

I’m pointing out that even people who are entirely opposed to jumping guard generally have no opposition to flying triangles/armbars or jumping guillotines or rolling kneebars or whatever.

Conflating the two is not going to convince anyone who is opposed to jumping guard.

I'm opposed to jumping guard. There are situations where I'm fine with flying submissions though. Like I said earlier, I can't think of a situation where jumping guard would be the best option for that moment. If you can't perform a takedown, go for a throw. If you can't execute a throw, pulling guard (properly - you have to do it properly) gives you a better position with more control and less over-all risk.

I'm against flying submissions in most cases, BUT, a flying submission happens a little differently than jumping guard. If you have the athleticism and the body type (Edwin Najmi is a good example) and you can't get the sub any other way, then go for it. It's going to end badly more often than not (I actually have footage of Gordon Ryan from a few years ago where he attempts a flying triangle, misses it and bangs his head off the mat pretty hard), but there are rare occasions where it makes sense to try a flying triangle or arm bar. There's not ever a situation in which I can see jumping guard as the best (or even a good) move.

EDIT:

For the flying submissions - I'm talking about BJJ matches. NEVER attempt flying submissions in a self defense situation. Just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:
Jumping into submissions is not the same thing as jumping guard.
It seems to me the situation in the video isn't quite the same as a "flying submission". He already seems to have the choke hold, and then just promptly decides to jump into guard (he even has to re-work the submission later, while still up there). Although, this is still not obviously the same scenario as being in a regular clinch and then blatantly just going full koala.

After 4 pages of insightful (albiet sometimes rude) opinions on this thread, I'm very much on the side of Crotalis' explanation. I think it CAN work sometimes but with an expanded repertoire of takedowns, throws, and guard pulling techniques, jumping guard isn't going to be your best option.

However, maybe there could still be a rare "when the stars align"-situation where it could be a good decision. I don't think "inviting full guard" is something you should ever do, but (supposedly) Oleksiy Oliynyk purposely did it to secure an ezkial choke in the UFC.

Last edited:
I jump guard all the time. Mostly on ppl my lvl/weight. Gotta kno how to do it correctly. There's this real high lvl feather i go with who I sometimes get desperate with enough to jump. What ill do is jump and before my weight settles open my legs and pull em in

@Allos :

You may have misunderstood my last post. To clarify - I am *very occasionally* alright with flying submissions. I am never ok with jumping guard. IMO it's lazy, dangerous, and not nearly as good as your other options.

Troll tread. I'm not going to read paragraphs upon paragraphs of troll posting, but I think jumping guard is terrible and a product of the sport mindset.

It makes me cringe when I see reckless, aggressive guard jumps in competition. It's even worse since the guy being jumped on has to make sure to set the other guy down light as a feather or they'll get DQ'd. If you jump guard, and your opponent manages to avoid injury, they should have a free pass to slam.

It makes me cringe when I see reckless, aggressive guard jumps in competition. It's even worse since the guy being jumped on has to make sure to set the other guy down light as a feather or they'll get DQ'd.

Not true, it's super common for the top guy to fall down and nobody gets DQ'd for that.

Back