Justin doesn't get his nose broken. How does the fight go?

TerraRayzing

Little eagle soars again
@Brown
Reaction score
It's interesting because even Max said he was almost glad he caught Justin with the spin kick and broke his nose as that was the perfect start for him.
Suppose that spin kick didn't land, would the result been the same? More competitive?
Gotta say tho. Having a broken nose and standing with Max is a fucking nightmares. Justin is tough AF.

Broken nose, and two eye pokes to start the fight off. Nose aside, that kick was pretty brutal and would have taken a little bit out of him regardless. Tough to recover from that for anyone. I would still think Max takes the fight but it would have been closer no doubt.

It would be more competitive, but Justin would still have lost. He was clearly stumped by Max's footwork and distance management in there. Seemed totally at a loss as he was getting out-volumed and had no answers beyond lunging in while winging big hooks or landing the occasional good calf kick.

You have to really rewrite history and stack the deck to create a situation where Justin would've won, IMO. Like one where he emphasized that stiff jab from the get-go, committed more to the calf kick, and maybe mixed it up a bit more in the clinch/dirty-boxing range rather than constantly trying to land singular kill shots in open space. But at that point it's the epitome of "Whatiffery" and I say that as a dude who picked Gaethje pre-fight. Max was simply the better man in the cage.

Yeah my first thought watching the fight was "Justin was already done after that flush spinning back kick to the nose" at the end of round 1

It was noticeably bothering and distracting him throughout the rest of the fight (not to mention the 2 bonus eyepokes)

I don't know how it would go if he hadn't taken that kick to the nose, but rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5 slightly overrated Max's dominance or being the "superior striker" because Justin was already f*cked from his nose

Last edited:
I'm sure Max was more than just a little glad that the kick landed and broke his nose.

It would be more competitive, but Justin would still have lost. He was clearly stumped by Max's footwork and distance management in there. Seemed totally at a loss as he was getting out-volumed and had no answers beyond lunging in while winging big hooks or landing the occasional good calf kick.

You have to really rewrite history and stack the deck to create a situation where Justin would've won, IMO. Like one where he emphasized that stiff jab from the get-go, committed more to the calf kick, and maybe mixed it up a bit more in the clinch/dirty-boxing range rather than constantly trying to land singular kill shots in open space. But at that point it's the epitome of "Whatiffery" and I say that as a dude who picked Gaethje pre-fight. Max was simply the better man in the cage.
I generally agree, with the caveat we don't know how Justin would've adjusted between rounds with a good nose and unpoked eyes. I also think his puncher's chance of landing a one-shot KO or a blow that stunned Max and allowed him to get a TKO would be higher for sure. That said, I'd still pick Max based on what we saw before the kick.

Let's not forget Max won the first round. Before the nose and the pokes. And that's where you would expect Gaethje to be the most dangerous.

Last edited:
Max was ahead the whole time. The only thing that he was having issues with was the leg kicks. His jab was on point. His kicks were effective. His defense, head movement, entries and exits were all working for him. Even the gameplan coming in was correct. Justin would have been more dangerous and it would have been more competitive, but once it became evident that Max could hurt him, Gaethje was in trouble.

imho, Justin nose played a major factor on how the fight went. He have always been a crazy guy, it's possible that without breathing difficulties from that broken nose, he could have push a harder pace and brawl like a madman in r3 or r4.

I'm not sure who would have won though, both men are very hittable from what we've seen previously. It's really who would have landed the perfect shot even without the broken nose.

Holloway would still beat him, people forget Gaethje was a sloppy striker that threw over hands & hooks, low kicks whilst forward movement with minimal defense other than using his head to block punches.

Holloway is a better striker due to having proper technique, incorporates combos and better cardio. I said this back in January when this fight was announced that Holloway was going to light him up.

We need a rematch but this time Justin wears a mask and goggles so no broken nose and no eyepokes.

Back