Karate Combat

you told me why you don't like it, that's not the same as telling us why it should disappear.

UFC champions who are karateka...lets see here...GSP, machida, chuck Liddell, bad rutten, there are more, but I'm sure you can use Google spacetime.
Hey.. dork as spacetime, when Lidell used Karate? he is from Kempo even, that means Shaolin. Gsp other than didn't use karate, and he is from Kyokushin. Bass Rutten kyokushin..

Hey.. dork as spacetime, when Lidell used Karate? he is from Kempo even, that means Shaolin. Gsp other than didn't use karate, and he is from Kyokushin. Bass Rutten kyokushin..
kempo is karate retard. hence why it's called kempo karate. chuck liddell was a black belt in karate when he entered the UFC, and is currently an 8th dan

how didn't GSP use karate? kyokushin, again is karate hence why it's called kyokushin karate...

do you have a special assistant who helps you get through the day?

kempo is karate retard. hence why it's called kempo karate. chuck liddell was a black belt in karate when he entered the UFC, and is currently an 8th dan

how didn't GSP use karate? kyokushin, again is karate hence why it's called kyokushin karate...

do you have a special assistant who helps you get through the day?

lol Don't say things you can't say face to face dork

Kempo is not the classical Karate im referring to, doesn't matter if has Karate in his name. Kempo wasn't the key to his success
Kyoukushin.. the same, not the classical Karate, wasn't even accepted in Japan as Karate, and wasn't the key to his success either

Kempo is not the classical Karate im referring to, doesn't matter if has Karate in his name. Kempo wasn't the key to his success
Kyoukushin.. the same, not the classical Karate, wasn't even accepted in Japan as Karate, and wasn't the key to his success either
kyokushin most certainly is accepted in Japan as karate, Kempo I don't think is popular enough over there to be accepted or rejected...

How are their base styles not relevant to their success?

Jesus you get more retarded with every post you make

kyokushin most certainly is accepted in Japan as karate, Kempo I don't think is popular enough over there to be accepted or rejected...

How are their base styles not relevant to their success?

Jesus you get more retarded with every post you make
Says the retard.. lol
Nobody saw Kempo in Lidell and nobody saw Kyokushin in GSP
Go watch cartoons boy, you are a waste of time, nobody can discuss nothing with you, you get butthurt easily

Says the retard.. lol
Nobody saw Kempo in Lidell and nobody saw Kyokushin in GSP
Go watch cartoons boy, you are a waste of time, nobody can discuss nothing with you, you get butthurt easily
Not butthurt at all, just tired of people sitting their children in front of a computer and forcing us to babysit their mistakes.

How were Liddell or GSP supposed to fight for people to 'see' Kempo or kyokushin in the way they fought?

You literally don't even train an actual style, you follow a philosophy created by a movie star who was a mediocre boxer as a child.

Please understand that the "classical Karate" you are referring to (Shotokan/WKF) is the most modern and NON-CLASSICAL Karate ever.

In many ways Kempo and Kyokushin are "more classical" styles since they follow Okinawan fighting philosophies and sparring concepts closer than then Kendo-infused Shotokan. I've penned a thread on the Kendo influence in modern Karate back in 2018 - maybe you'd like to read it:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kendo-the-shift-in-karate-mentality.3731269/

Even though Kyokushin is a modern style timeline-wise, it is still way closer to its Goju roots than Shotokan is to its Shorei or Shorin roots. At this point Shotokan is more Kendo than (Okinawan) Karate.

Please understand that the "classical Karate" you are referring to (Shotokan/WKF) is the most modern and NON-CLASSICAL Karate ever.

In many ways Kempo and Kyokushin are "more classical" styles since they follow Okinawan fighting philosophies and sparring concepts closer than then Kendo-infused Shotokan. I've penned a thread on the Kendo influence in modern Karate back in 2018 - maybe you'd like to read it:
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/kendo-the-shift-in-karate-mentality.3731269/

Even though Kyokushin is a modern style timeline-wise, it is still way closer to its Goju roots than Shotokan is to its Shorei or Shorin roots. At this point Shotokan is more Kendo than (Okinawan) Karate.
Both modern and classical karate styles are interesting. I talk as a fan. Never practised Karate.
I watched this video today that demonstrated the techniques of Motobu style, which I guess it's as "classical" as it can get, right?

Interesting techniques that could be relatively easy to teach to an untrained person and would be very practical for him/her.

Shotokan lacks stuff like that, but through the sparring and competition circuit a person can train footwork, feints, anticipation, timing.
Stuff that's needed in order to pull off any technique by any style classical or modern.

Both modern and classical karate styles are interesting. I talk as a fan. Never practised Karate.
I watched this video today that demonstrated the techniques of Motobu style, which I guess it's as "classical" as it can get, right?

Interesting techniques that could be relatively easy to teach to an untrained person and would be very practical for him/her.

Shotokan lacks stuff like that, but through the sparring and competition circuit a person can train footwork, feints, anticipation, timing.
Stuff that's needed in order to pull off any technique by any style classical or modern.

Motobu-ryu is a bit of an outlier and way less popular than the "classical" Goju, Shorin, Shuri etc, though certainly a distinctly Okinawan style. Frankly, I know very little about Motobu-ryu - mostly because it is barely available to train anywhere outside of Okinawa or Japan.

For the sake of argument, I don't even like the "classical vs modern" juxtaposition (since so many ppl have different opinions on what classical is). I prefer the "Okinawan va Japanese" juxtaposition. In this case, Okinawan Karate is mostly self-defense in-fighting, while Japanese Karate is mostly sport competitive out-fighting. Neither is inherentny "good" or "bad" (depends on your teachers and goals) but the focus is vastly different. Training both can be very beneficial, since together they cover pretty much all aspects and methods of standup fighting. Goes to show that "Karate is one".

I see that Karate Combat is still going strong? Maybe I should follow it then. I remember having a look at it like 2 years ago and finding it pretty good.

Due to this thread I checked out Karate Combat. I watched two videos from youtube and it seems ok, but uh, what's with the audience dressed up as cult members?

Due to this thread I checked out Karate Combat. I watched two videos from youtube and it seems ok, but uh, what's with the audience dressed up as cult members?

Fixed wrestling promoters figured this out a long time ago; pageantry attracts normies.

Karate is a cult, duh! ;)

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, karate nerds! :)

Fixed wrestling promoters figured this out a long time ago; pageantry attracts normies.

Well when I watch the fights it makes me feel left out. What cult is this? How do I join? Where do I pick up my sweet druid clothes?

Someone should have thought this through.

I have no clue how they make money since they don't have ads on YT for their events, and I don't see any sign of sponsorship, but the audience seems to just be paid models/actors that are currently used to help sell the theme which currently seems to change every 2-4 weeks.

It's an interesting concept. Real, legit fights in a pit, in the middle of a crowd of hot girls, monks and CGI surroundings. It looks like a video game on purpose.

I also wonder how they make money. No add, no sponsor, no gate. I don't think that these productions are very expensive to do. Fighters must be dirt cheap, they likely produce in the same warehouse in a cheap location, too, the crowd is likely hot waitresses from local bars and Chinese buffet attendants that they pay 100$ a pop. I imagine that the cameras and a couple of computers are all it takes. Setting up that pit must not be very expensive either. Flying in 6 fighters per event is also cheap...

But still you need to pay all that.

It's an interesting concept. Real, legit fights in a pit, in the middle of a crowd of hot girls, monks and CGI surroundings. It looks like a video game on purpose.

I also wonder how they make money. No add, no sponsor, no gate. I don't think that these productions are very expensive to do. Fighters must be dirt cheap, they likely produce in the same warehouse in a cheap location, too, the crowd is likely hot waitresses from local bars and Chinese buffet attendants that they pay 100$ a pop. I imagine that the cameras and a couple of computers are all it takes. Setting up that pit must not be very expensive either. Flying in 6 fighters per event is also cheap...

But still you need to pay all that.

They have investor money + sponsors (bitcoin sponsored one of their events I remember)

Lyoto fucking Machida will be a sensei on Karate Combat!

Back