Kid knocks over 132k statue, museum sends bill to parents

talk about idealism. Your "no nonsense" bullshit is the conservative equivalent of gay pride virtue signaling through rainbow attire. The insurance company insured an object that is IN PUBLIC VIEW AND ON PUBLIC DISPLAY. Children aren't banned from museums. This is an insurance problem, regardless of not watching your kids properly.

The insurance company can go after the parents if they showed neglect . Which it looks like they did. Not sure if the court will give them any money.

It's simple, watch you kids.

I think most of us agree that the parents should have to pay some amount. The museum and insurance company have a percentage of blame on their hands too. The parents won't be paying the full amount and it's just standard for the insurance company to try and pay as little as possible. The insurance company agreed to pay for the damages at the museum I assume the inspected the museum to determine their risk. They seemed to be ok with the manner the statue was presented so they should have to cover most of the cost.

If the museum displayed the statue in a manner that violated their insurance policy then they carry the most blame.

The parents are awful and shouldn't be raising shit head kids.

I agree with this.

Sure sounds like both the parent and the museum should have made more of an effort. Having a statue out that can be toppled over by a five year old is fucking crazy dangerous. Imagine if someone else's child was just walking around when this thing was knocked over and it busted open their head. The mom should have also been more careful as well that goes without saying. Frankly if you're going to setup a museum like this there needs to be age restrictions put in place.

Did youwatch the video? Nothing short of bolting that bitch down was keeping it in place.

From a legal standpoint the parents obviously have vicarious liability for the kid fucking around. In the meantime I’m not sure the museum would have any liability here. I don’t see how it could be called contributory negligence to not put up barriers around the exhibit. Is it smart to not protect it from bystanders? Absolutely not. But is it contributing to the damage. I wouldn’t think so.

That being said I don’t do much tort law in my practice so I’m not the best lawyer to weigh in here.

Thoughts @Quipling @panamaican @Trotsky ?

Edit: Trotsky got banned?

If you're kid can't be taken into public places without breaking other people's shit and you're too lazy to supervise them, then maybe you should be billed.

When I went to a place like that I was told "Don't touch anything!" And I was very clear that consequences would be had if I did.

Yet some parents think that it's ok to outsource all parenting responsibility to others.

"Well you should know my kid is uncontrollable and I am way too lazy to properly supervise him, so society should micromanage my kids for me, creating physical barriers and assume that I am going to be an utter failure in rasing responsible kids... Oh and where's my tax break and free money?"

I am not surprised this entitled POS thinks someone else is to blame.
if there was a work of art with a really nice rack, I'de be compelled to touch it. It should be bolted down in case I slip and grab on accident.

From a legal standpoint the parents obviously have vicarious liability for the kid fucking around. In the meantime I’m not sure the museum would have any liability here. I don’t see how it could be called contributory negligence to not put up barriers around the exhibit. Is it smart to not protect it from bystanders? Absolutely not. But is it contributing to the damage. I wouldn’t think so.

That being said I don’t do much tort law in my practice so I’m not the best lawyer to weigh in here.

Thoughts @Quipling @panamaican @Trotsky ?

Edit: Trotsky got banned?
I don't do anything like this and I don't like comparative and contributory negligence.

@HomerThompson said that he was thinking about pardoning Trotsky.

Parents that don't discipline their kids seem to be the norm these days. I'd hold them responsible.
That said, anywhere with children and public traffic you need better protection for the exhibits. Be that attendants, glass or what have you.

If you're kid can't be taken into public places without breaking other people's shit and you're too lazy to supervise them, then maybe you should be billed.

When I went to a place like that I was told "Don't touch anything!" And I was very clear that consequences would be had if I did.

Yet some parents think that it's ok to outsource all parenting responsibility to others.

"Well you should know my kid is uncontrollable and I am way too lazy to properly supervise him, so society should micromanage my kids for me, creating physical barriers and assume that I am going to be an utter failure in rasing responsible kids... Oh and where's my tax break and free money?"

I am not surprised this entitled POS thinks someone else is to blame.
if there was a work of art with a really nice rack, I'de be compelled to touch it. It should be bolted down in case I slip and grab on accident.
Is it cool if I walk on you brand new car with golf cleats? There's no sign...

Is it cool if I knock over your child's custom made birthday cake right before they blow out the candles? I mean there was no barrier to stop me

The fact that it wasn't displayed at a museum, but at a community centre that holds wedding receptions (the family was at a wedding reception), changes things though.
I don't know what wedding receptions are like in Kansas, but over here you'd really want to make sure there was nothing fragile and valuable in reach of guests.

https://www.opkansas.org/things-to-see-and-do/community-centers/tomahawk-ridge-community-center/

gaGG7EK.jpg

Xxx768N.jpg

Last edited:
city's fault if no signs. Any museum in LA with high ticket items will have docents brush the kids away. It's unreasonable to think kids will just leave it alone.

I dont know maybe dont raise your kids like a fuckin animal

Can't you people read? It was a community center, not a fucking museum. And it probably wasn't worth anything near that they were claiming. Shit that expensive is put in a plexiglass box.

Someone is going to tell me that this is worth 132k?

aphroditie-di-kansas-abc-news.jpg

Can't you people read? It was a community center, not a fucking museum.

Yeah, the reporting in the first link is sub par. I don't think the woman in the video is the mother either, judging from other reports (claims she was farewelling the bride and groom at the time and didn't see it happen).

Yeah, the reporting in the first link is sub par. I don't think the woman in the video is the mother either, judging from other reports (claims she was farewelling the bride and groom at the time and didn't see it happen).

Community Center
02_26_11_06-577x1024.jpg

MRCC-Pool-Zero-Entry.jpg

Child-Thumb.jpg

MRCC-Game-Room.jpg

Fitness04.jpg

Community Center
02_26_11_06-577x1024.jpg

MRCC-Pool-Zero-Entry.jpg

Child-Thumb.jpg

MRCC-Game-Room.jpg

Fitness04.jpg

Yes, I know. The second article in the OP spells that out, as do the reports elsewhere.
What I'm saying is that the combination of referring to it as a museum in the report's title, and misreporting that the woman sitting down was the mother, is suspiciously bad.

Lock him up! Maybe there is room in one of the migrant camps.

Tough situation.

The parents should have kept an eye on her child better. But at the sametime are you telling me the place did not have any counter measures in place to prevent stuff like this from happening? What's a 130k statue doing in a community center anyway?

Blame the parents first. The buck stops with them.

If the museum took no measures to protect their fragile, expensive sculpture, then they are to a lesser extent blameworthy as well. Seems like most museums have glass cases or at least some sort of rope dividers around their good stuff.

Back