Last night's fight = Proof that Fedor time Pride HW Division was vastly superior to modern UFC HW

UFC rules and cage are lot worse enviromment for submissions than Pride ring, so it is not just "evolution and improvement" . With 10 minute rounds with enough time to work, restarts in the middle with no wire barriers to limit movement of your body on the ground, and with GI kimonos allowed, emphasis was much bigger on submission game in Pride. Nowadays in UFC nobody wants bottom position any more, because he wold be easily cutt by cheap elbows and got his head pinned against the fence. Nogueira and Pride guys were foremost fighters of different rules and enviromment, and in that environment their skills and habbist would be successful. In terms of footwork, it is now running around and dancing on distance in big octagon, while in the ring it was a lot more direct.

Size matters less in the ring.
It is a lot easier to reach taller longer guy in the ring where he has less space to move and where he can be closed to corners. Also, with no wire fence, weight matters less becuse you can not use size of your body nowhere that much as in the cage to controll the body of your opponent and enforce.

That's why short guy with brick in his hands like Igor Vovchanchyn, had no problems to reach full sized 190cm HWs like Valentijn, Yvel, Goodridge, Kerr, Baretto in the ring, and they were not able to pinn his body against the wall and enforce size.

One dimensional game + strenght like Lewis, Tuivasa, Rozrnstruik, JDS, Ngannou is just as enough to carry you to the top of modern UFC.
I can agree with part of that. Guys like Cro Cop used to stalk and circle in a ring and did much better for striking. It was a different era for sure under another ruleset. Also their yellow card system prevented much of the lay and pray or smothering you see today when there's a stalemate today.

theres a reason why big nog and cro cop look b level fighters in the ufc

yeah for sure,30 years old who started practicing MMA at 35 are for sure better than the
whole UFC division,examples? crocop who smoked schaub,fedor vs hendo and many more,
fedor is the best to ever do it,fought hardcore fighters at the 90`s with deadly skills
and insane MMA game

Fedor, Nog, Cro-Cop, Coleman, Randleman, etc of the Pride Heavyweight Division were vastly more skilled than the current UFC Heavyweight Division, and last night's fight proved that. Unfortunately, the UFC Heavyweight Division has devolved into a bunch of one-dimensional strikers that suck at all other aspects of MMA. The only exceptions to this rule being Curtis Blaydes, Tom Aspinall, and now Jon Jones. Opinions? Discuss.
For starters, hws had TDD.

Yes, Pride was much better then UFC back then. More fun, felt big and epic. The HW division was wild and competitive. 2005 Pride was better than any version of UFC.
But no, the fighters were not better, nor had superior skills/trainings/plans. Most of it was basic. That’s what made it fun. It was raw and dangerous. Knees to downed opponents like it should be. Soccer kicks to actually make wrestlers wary. Good times.
But again, fighter skills were not on the modern level, which is only logical.

Fedor, Nog, Cro-Cop, Coleman, Randleman, etc of the Pride Heavyweight Division were vastly more skilled than the current UFC Heavyweight Division, and last night's fight proved that.

Unfortunately, the UFC Heavyweight Division has devolved into a bunch of one-dimensional strikers that suck at all other aspects of MMA. The only exceptions to this rule being Curtis Blaydes, Tom Aspinall, and now Jon Jones.

Opinions?

Discuss.
garbage! widow detected !
besides pure juice,

Randleman/Coleman white belt zero bjj, zero striking
images

Nogueira = zero takedown defense, zero wrestling

Cro-Cop
Overrated striking, weak TD
vide Schaub, Mir, Nelson defeats...

RIP widow
let's move on...

The elites of today would be elites in the Pride of yesteryear. Whether they'd all be able to beat prime Fedor, Nog, CC, Aleks, Werdum, etc is up for debate but they'd be right there at or near the top. Outside of the Top 5 in the HW division right now though, not a chance. Sloppy brawlers like Tuivasa would have been absolutely massacred by the beasts Pride had in their stable back in the day.

Fedor was so superior, he left his prime at 32

Reactions: Kb7
lol prime fedor got brutally humiliated in a drug testing organization
90 percent of his wins where unknown fighters
tf are u smoking?

maybe fedors weakness is drug testing or better competition?
u decide

Reactions: Kb7
lol prime fedor got brutally humiliated in a drug testing organization
90 percent of his wins where unknown fighters
tf are u smoking?

maybe fedors weakness is drug testing or better competition?
u decide
hmmmm or it's the fact that he might have been dealing with back issues all the way from his late 20s? And also the fact that he was following the rules?

Some things allowed in Japan = No cheating
Some things not allowed after Pride = Cheating
Fedor slowing down early 30s = Normal human being
HW fighters in their prime into their 40s = You think for youself.

The new guys as a whole are ahead in terms of technique. Even someone as one dimensional by today's standard is probably more knowledgeable than the average Pride HW. It's just the way training is structured nowadays and the sport moved on.

HW has always been like this. You have maybe the top 5-6 guys then everyone else looks somewhat meh. You have to look at all the HW fighters from that era as a whole.

I think heavyweight mma probably peaked around 2008-2013 period. Unlike other divisions I just don’t see the same evolution in heavyweight MMA, and with stricter drug testing the athleticism has declined pretty drastically

I watched overeem vs jds about a week ago and I swear you can’t find better heavyweight striking in anyone nowadays. They were bouncing around, throwing kicks, great head movement, checking kicks too, fast paced for such big guys. Maybe I’m just technically illiterate but they just look so much more skilled than the guys now. Especially since JDS holds wins over like 3 of the current top 15 at heavyweight, lewis tai and tybura, and that was past his prime after being finished by stipe. Even overeem beat pavlovich too

I think heavyweight mma probably peaked around 2008-2013 period. Unlike other divisions I just don’t see the same evolution in heavyweight MMA, and with stricter drug testing the athleticism has declined pretty drastically

I watched overeem vs jds about a week ago and I swear you can’t find better heavyweight striking in anyone nowadays. They were bouncing around, throwing kicks, great head movement, checking kicks too, fast paced for such big guys. Maybe I’m just technically illiterate but they just look so much more skilled than the guys now. Especially since JDS holds wins over like 3 of the current top 15 at heavyweight, lewis tai and tybura, and that was past his prime after being finished by stipe. Even overeem beat pavlovich too
And overeem beat rozenstruik also, forgot to mention that

Fedor was probably the most all round skilled HW we've ever seen and one of the fastest too, but overall I do think Prides HW scene gets a little overly romanticized while the modern era gets shat on too hard. I mean OP didnt even get through 5 Pride era names without having to list 40 something barely able to move or throw something resembling a punch Coleman and 5'9 Randleman.

Fedor, Nog, Cro-Cop, Coleman, Randleman, etc of the Pride Heavyweight Division were vastly more skilled than the current UFC Heavyweight Division, and last night's fight proved that.

Unfortunately, the UFC Heavyweight Division has devolved into a bunch of one-dimensional strikers that suck at all other aspects of MMA. The only exceptions to this rule being Curtis Blaydes, Tom Aspinall, and now Jon Jones.

Opinions?

Discuss.
I mean .. pump HW guys with gear and they will preform better.

fighters now are far more evolved than those guys. back then, getting mounted meant the fight was about to be over. that’s the reason commentators like rogan still make “oh he has full mount” a big deal when 99% of fighters get half guard back or find another way to sweep/scramble from there. it used to mean the end of the fight most of the time. fighters didn’t escape submissions as often, the fundamentals of striking are far better now.

it’s less competitive than it was then, and you still have some low level ufc HW’s for sure (regardless of era) but the elites now shit on the elites of fedor’s era.
I am not convinced Cyril Gane runs through PRIDE's HW division. Not with that non-existent ground game

And overeem beat rozenstruik also, forgot to mention that
He lost that fight. Bigi boy split his mouth open. I was pretty bummed out about it.

Last edited:
The elites of today would be elites in the Pride of yesteryear. Whether they'd all be able to beat prime Fedor, Nog, CC, Aleks, Werdum, etc is up for debate but they'd be right there at or near the top. Outside of the Top 5 in the HW division right now though, not a chance. Sloppy brawlers like Tuivasa would have been absolutely massacred by the beasts Pride had in their stable back in the day.
Tom and Jones would be top 5 but that's it

Fedor
JBJ
 Nog
Werdum
Crocop
Tom

Depending on who fights who in the top 6 some spots would shuffle around

Back