Last nights fight proved that Sean Strickland is not a fluke

jko1355

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit that I gave Sean zero chance against Izzy.

I like most was very surprised to see Sean win a clear decision.

When Dricus completely dominated Whittaker I had him as the clear next champion.

What Sean did in a losing effort proves that Sean Strickland is clearly a top 5 talent in that division and nothing was luck or a one off performance.

I thought Sean won but round 2 was so close I understand the split.

Great fight war Sean, war Dricus.

He is legit top 5 MW in this era.

I underrated the shit out of him in the past, but he will be competitive against any of the current division.

Super good defensively, maybe the best jab in the biz right now. His jab alone busted Dricus up gnarly.

If he can get a bit more offensive, he can make another run.

He could use a little more crack on his punches. His consistent stand in the pocket hands on point fighting style is great at tattooing his appointments face though. And his defense against grappling is also solid - blocks take downs and neutralizes ground attacks. I was actually super impressed with how he stood in the pocket with Alex and then got caught but jumped up fast. He's a shoe in for bare knuckle when the time comes.

it's baffling to me how effective his arm-flailing parry defense is. i cannot argue with results whatsoever but i don't see how only pereira has been able to body/head combo his way to a KO. sean's chin is right there as his arms flail away, his head doesn't move much at all.

jabbing with him, going down to the body, then coming up to the head is a foolproof method of beating a philly shell/parry-heavy fighter. maidana did it to broner (and mayweather a bit), as well as dozens of others. jab the body, use it to set up the right hand upstairs. they can't block everything.

I will be the first to admit that I gave Sean zero chance against Izzy.

I like most was very surprised to see Sean win a clear decision.

When Dricus completely dominated Whittaker I had him as the clear next champion.

What Sean did in a losing effort proves that Sean Strickland is clearly a top 5 talent in that division and nothing was luck or a one off performance.

I thought Sean won but round 2 was so close I understand the split.

Great fight war Sean, war Dricus.
I thought the same, bro.

Enjoyed the fight last night. Better than the co-main event. A mate that was over started to fall asleep during that fight, but the main woke him up. It was a close fight, so I couldn't really pick a winner.

Yeah I expected DDP to truck him but then again Sean’s a much better defensive fighter than Rob who blocks punches with his face. If anything it makes me think maybe the Whit win was overrated. Hopefully Paulo shows up this time so we can find out.

I feel like the middleweight is just not as good as it was.

We used to have mousasi, weidman, rockhold, jacare, and yoel. Dont think Strickland and DDP can both be top 5 in that era.
Birthdays will not not be ignored.

Back