Leon Edwards’ gym closes doors to Ian Garry over alleged ‘doubts and insecurities’

His name?

• Total voters

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
upload_2023-11-2_16-54-3.png

Ian Garry recently revealed that he has been removed from Leon Edwards’ Team Renegade gym in Birmingham, England.

While Garry (13-0) has trained in several gyms throughout his career, his recent squads have been Kill Cliff FC (formerly Sanford MMA) in Florida and Edwards’ Team Renegade. However, the undefeated welterweight prospect was recently booted from Team Renegade. Something he isn’t very happy about. According to Garry, Edwards (21-3) and his coach Dave Lovell were concerned about training with another ranked contender inside the gym.

“Leon and his head coach had an issue with me training on the mats and recently have asked me not to train there, because ‘Leon doesn’t want any insecurities or doubts on his own mats, within the gym,’ which I don’t fully understand,” Garry told The Independent.

“I get that we’re both in the Top 10 and you might see me as a threat, but I’m not a threat to you right now; I’m not fighting for the title right now. His coach said the words: ‘Ian is a threat; I cannot have Leon having any doubts or insecurities.’

“That makes me think someone is weak-minded and can’t have another contender training on the mat. That’s why gym conflict is annoying. For me, why not have that other elite guy on the mat? Why not train with him? Why not have him push you? Why not learn and grow from each other?”

Garry also categorically mentioned that Ash Begg and Tom Breese, who run Team Renegade, were welcoming to him and there are no issues between them.

Team Renegade subsequently issued a statement to The Independent clarifying their decision to deny Garry time on their mats.

Continue Reading
https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/L...y-Over-Alleged-Doubts-and-Insecurities-191586

Let’s be honest here, Garry is about 1 -2 stellar performances away from being pushed HARD by UFC. Leon isn’t dumb, and is making sure Ian doesn’t close the skill gap between them too fast under his own coaches training.

he’s being built up the right way. He has 13 fights. Khabib didn’t fight his first ranked opponent till he was 22-0 lol

Khabib went 4-0 in the UFC and fought #9 Pat Healy and then was scheduled to face #2 ranked lightweight Gilbert but the fight fell through so he was scheduled vs #6 ranked Dos Anjos.

At 6-0 in the UFC Ian Garry has I think a single top 15 win though I haven't looked through his record with a comb.

Not sure which way to vote, but I don't fault Leon at all. Athletes at all levels need their mind just right and if that's what it takes then that's what it takes. Other athletes have certainly done far worse (drugs, beating wives) in struggling with their mindset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back