Lets be honest, its complete b.s. strikers cant grab the cage to prevent the takedown

every fight starts standing so strikers start with the advantage

True but to be fair this sport would be alot different if I had my say

Only 2 rounds. 1 single 15 min round. Then a final 5 min round. 2 minute break between rounds for corner advice

No gloves
Kicks to down opponent legal
Large ring

I don't know about cage grabbing but if strikers could land a kick or knee or even 12 to 6 elbow to prevent low takedowns, all the wrestlers in the UFC would had worse records without an exception. It's pretty much known at this point that current MMA ruleset favors wrestlers.

Still, Khabib beat the shit out of McGregor and that had nothing to do with the ruleset. However I tend to agree that McGregor was not 100%.

The rules also give the advantage to the guy who is on top or pushing against the fence, even when he is doing nothing.

Do you know the current rules are not the ones from UFC 1 right?

I'm saying this isn't new that the rules favour the grappler. They've been that way since the UFC's inception, though the switch to rounds and removal of the gi switched the favour to the one on top instead of the guy on the bottom.

At UFC 1 Royce really only had to worry about not getting knocked out. He was the only one who knew BJJ so he wasn't getting submitted by people who didn't know BJJ, and the unlimited time limit meant so long as he didn't get KO'd he'd get the submission eventually.

Last edited:
I don't know about cage grabbing but if strikers could land a kick or knee or even 12 to 6 elbow to prevent low takedowns, all the wrestlers in the UFC would had worse records without an exception. It's pretty much known at this point that current MMA rules favors wrestlers.

Still, Khabib beat the shit out of McGregor and that had nothing to do with the ruleset. However I tend to agree that McGregor was not 100%.

I understand why people are saying this but this thread has nothing to do with the Khabib/Mcgregor fight. This is just a random shower thought I had a few weeks back

every fight starts standing so strikers start with the advantage
I have always disagreed with this statement.

A wrestler has just as much of a opportunity to land a takedown as a striker has a strike from a standing start.

Conor would still have lost, Khabib would have benefited far more from those rule changes.

The rules also give the advantage to the guy who is on top or pushing against the fence, even when he is doing nothing.
I agree, if your not inflicting damage you're not winning a fight in my opinion.

It's a part of the environment you should be allowed to use it in any way you see fit. Running up it and launching off it with a kick to someones head is ok. But instinctively reaching for it to stay standing is not

Could you imagine Jon Jones with the ability to knee a downed opponent. If anything it protects people from the high level wrestlers

Conor would still have lost, Khabib would have benefited far more from those rule changes.
Exactly, if you are near the fence and already in a dominant position, your opponent is fucked...

strikers and grapplers dont exist in the cage, only mma fighters. mma is biased towards people who can apply an mma technique without breaking a rule of mma. thats like saying soccer is biased towards people who can kick a ball, well yeah no shit.

mma is a fallback sport.

Lol it's called MMA. Learn everything and get great at what you think will work best.
This thread is dumb. Strikers have a advantage because each round starts out on the feet.

Back