Let's Be Real: Trash Talk Ruined Colby Covington's Career

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
1703456852624.png
Looks to me like Colby panicked, adopted this 'Captain Chaos'-esque South Park-type character, even calling himself a 'super villain'.

1703456936589.png
But here's the thing.

What the UFC want, and what's best for the fighter, are two separate things.

1703456995314.png
And that, right there, is where it all went wrong.

Leaving ATT was the death of Colby's career as a top level fighter. Performances have got progressively worse without the super-gym American Top Team, and he landed almost half the number of strikes registered in his final fight under ATT - against Kamaru Usman - in the rematch.

Beating the ghosts of Tyron Woodley and Jorge Masvidal combined with his trash talk kept getting him title shots gifted by Dana White, but...

... it was too late. His pathetic performance against Leon Edwards will be his last major fight, and he blew it.

This is a cautionary tale. Yeah, you can get title shots by running your mouth - but running your mouth at the expense of your career? Colby done fucked up. I keep hearing about how he increased his value to the UFC, sure, but he also lowered the ceiling on his own potential. He was never going to win the belt, but I think it was a possibility if he hadn't pissed it all away on this 'super villain' bullshit.

Always keep it real, folks.

Merry Christmas!

Colbys biggest issue is his one dimensionality.

His strength was always relentless pressure and solid wrestling.

But guy can't do much beyond blanketing and peppering his opponent with annoying punches, with not much on them.

He has always lacked the ability to finish. No power, no submissions.

The latter part is what kept him from greatness and the title.

The "The ufc was gonna cut me after the Maia fight" is a complete lie.

There's 0 proof it's true beside Colby's word.

Rarely in Ufc history, a fighter has been cut after a win even less in a winstreak. It's only cuts because of things outside of the fight. You never get cut for underperforming is a winning streak.

Colby started his heel turn before the Maia fight because he got into wrestling.

View attachment 1019673
Looks to me like Colby panicked, adopted this 'Captain Chaos'-esque South Park-type character, even calling himself a 'super villain'.

View attachment 1019674
But here's the thing.

View attachment 1019675

Leaving ATT was the death of Colby's career as a top level fighter. Performances have got progressively worse without the super-gym American Top Team, and he landed almost half the number of strikes registered in his final fight under ATT - against Kamaru Usman - in the rematch.

Beating the ghosts of Tyron Woodley and Jorge Masvidal combined with his trash talk kept getting him title shots gifted by Dana White, but...

... it was too late. His pathetic performance against Leon Edwards will be his last major fight, and he blew it.

This is a cautionary tale. Yeah, you can get title shots by running your mouth - but running your mouth at the expense of your career? Colby done fucked up. I keep hearing about how he increased his value to the UFC, sure, but he also lowered the ceiling on his own potential. He was never going to win the belt, but I think it was a possibility if he hadn't pissed it all away on this 'super villain' bullshit.

Merry Christmas!
His shtick made him more money and garnered him more fame than his fighting skills ever could have dreamed to.
This is prize fighting at the end of the day and his “persona” multiplied his prize 100 fold.

The "The ufc was gonna cut me after the Maia fight" is a complete lie.

There's 0 proof it's true beside Colby's word.

Rarely in Ufc history, a fighter has been cut after a win even less in a winstreak. It's only cuts because of things outside of the fight. You never get cut for underperforming is a winning streak.

Colby started his heel turn before the Maia fight because he got into wrestling.

There was a thing about fighters who were 'boring' getting cut after a random loss though, as opposed to a losing streak.

Fitch, Shields.

Perhaps he figured if he dropped one single fight, he wouldn't have enough to fall back on. Perhaps he was paranoid.

Either way, the heel turn thing was dumb.

His shtick made him more money and garnered him more fame than his fighting skills ever could have dreamed to.
This is prize fighting at the end of the day and his “persona” multiplied his prize 100 fold.

What are the actual figures, rather than an arbitrary and probably untrue '100 fold'?

I've no doubt it made him money, but it likely cost him any chance of holding a title. He went from being competitive at the championship level to just another guy.

Not really. Everyone who stayed at ATT declined more than he did, while Colby headlined 6 cards in a row without being champ or having much of a highlight reel, and there are still several threads about him on the front page every day. I understand that people don't want to admit that the shit talking worked, or that they were the marks, but it very clearly did.

It certainly wasn't half the number strikes from the 1st Usman fight to the 2nd. He landed 36 fewer strikes in the 2nd fight, but Usman landed 53 fewer strikes.

Not really. Everyone who stayed at ATT declined more than he did, while Colby headlined 6 cards in a row without being champ or having much of a highlight reel, and there are still several threads about him on the front page every day. I understand that people don't want to admit that the shit talking worked, or that they were the marks, but it very clearly did.

It certainly wasn't half the number strikes from the 1st Usman fight to the 2nd. He landed 36 fewer strikes in the 2nd fight, but Usman landed 53 fewer strikes.

You forgetting one of the guys he fell out with was Poirier, who went on to beat Conor twice and Mike Chandler?

For me, that's more impressive than beating the now-retired pairing of Woodley and Masvidal, and I bet he made a fuck load more money too.

There was a thing about fighters who were 'boring' getting cut after a random loss though, as opposed to a losing streak.

Fitch, Shields.

Perhaps he figured if he dropped one single fight, he wouldn't have enough to fall back on. Perhaps he was paranoid.

Either way, the heel turn thing was dumb.
Don’t forget “I blame Obama” Jacob Volkmann. He was 6-2 but got subbed by The King and was gonzo’s. He got relegated to fighting in the World Series of fighting whatever that was 🤷‍♂️

Don’t forget “I blame Obama” Jacob Volkmann. He was 6-2 but got subbed by The King and was gonzo’s. He got relegated to fighting in the World Series of fighting whatever that was 🤷‍♂️

Haha, yeah, WSOF ended up being the precursor to PFL, but that's where he joined the likes of Jon Fitch!

I 100% agree with his act being detrimental to his actual performance, as his antics got him booted out of a premier gym, away from an elite stable of fighters he had been learning from and into B level camp.

That said, he is supposedly worth 2-4 million, and managed to talk his way into three title shots. So it could be that, if he had just been the type of heel who did not backstab and alienate everyone around him, he could have had his cake and eaten it too. This is all hypothetical though; I think that Colby is a garbage human being and once he achieved even a minor level of fame, his scumbag behavior was something that he could not control.

View attachment 1019673

View attachment 1019674
But here's the thing.

View attachment 1019675

Merry Christmas!
People keep talking about him so he's doing something right.

Back