Let's Be Real: Trash Talk Ruined Colby Covington's Career

I don’t know if this is the point TS is making but I do think there is an argument to be made that the effort he put in and the sacrifices he made for the act he puts on have ultimately prevented him from reaching his full potential as a fighter.

Obviously the counter argument to that is he may not have been given the opportunities he has without the act so whether he reached his full potential would be irrelevant, but I still think it’s a fair question to ask.

no way. the trash talk is what got him the attention and it got him the title shots you watched. it also made him a lot of money. i don’t think it was all in good taste, but if you think it hurt his career, you’re in denial. but you know what actually hurt his career? losing that fight. if he had won, his stock would be sky high.

see, the people that hate colby are really, really mad at him. these are the sorts of people who think everyone is as outraged as they are. in reality, most people don’t care, as they understand he’s selling a fight. others may find colby’s words objectionable, but they are annoyed by the sorts of people who are perpetually seething about colby (you know, “shitlibs,” “woke,” “social justice” types). you’re going to have to accept the fact that colby’s life isn’t ruined, no matter how much you wish it were. he simply lost a fight that you got emotionally invested in.

He had 3 title shots, only 1 of which was earned. I’d say it made his career.

Internship championship fight earned
Woodley fight earned but denied
Usman fight earned, robbed
Usman fight earned, after the first performance

Leon fight earned? But the other option is belal and he deserves nothing

Leon rematch? Earned cause Leon couldn't do anything against injured Colby

Agree
His style required to be pushed at training and needed to be at a big gym like ATT, Kill Cliff, Couture, etc.
He cannot be pushed just by training with Tampa Gambino

There's being a fan and then there's just being delusional, you've gone far beyond that into stupidity.

He didn't make that much more money out of it, in fact it might've cost him endorsement deals.

Technically, Colby was about to be cut when he ramped up teh shit talk & then rose to teh top becoming a millionare, so I'd say it worked pretty good~

He had 3 title shots, only 1 of which was earned. I’d say it made his career.
A winner would have won one of those.

Huh? He got stopped in the first fight with Usman, how was he robbed? The only time Colby has been robbed was when he mugged himself of his gym, his friends, and his business relationships because of his mouth and his actions.

Reactions: CPH
It saved his career more like.

Without his trash talk they might eventually have cut him even on a win and he would have ended up in Bellator.

Colbys biggest issue is his one dimensionality.

His strength was always relentless pressure and solid wrestling.

But guy can't do much beyond blanketing and peppering his opponent with annoying punches, with not much on them.

He has always lacked the ability to finish. No power, no submissions.

The latter part is what kept him from greatness and the title.
The guy also never shut the fuck up about EPO and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a large reason he had such cardio i.e. pure projection. Chael was the same way and I like him, but without EPO he doesn't make it past the 2nd round with Silva.

His lackluster performance against Leon may have sealed his fate.

Actually, trash talk got him three UFC title shots, otherwise he would've been in bum Bellator or PFL.

What are the actual figures, rather than an arbitrary and probably untrue '100 fold'?

I've no doubt it made him money, but it likely cost him any chance of holding a title. He went from being competitive at the championship level to just another guy.

i mean everyone talks about him all the time even though he hasn't fought for like 2 yrs. nobody gave a shit about him before he started talking shit because nobody talked about him.

Back