Let's Be Real: Trash Talk Ruined Colby Covington's Career

It might have saved his job, who knows. He’s not an unknown guy, he will sell some PPVs or at the very least pad a main card, but I still think relatively few will tune in solely because of him. He has been fighting elite guys/champs, and I think that has been the main selling point and not his trash talk. Would anyone care if he fought someone like Brady or Neal? I sure wouldn’t give a damn.

It’s time for Colby to either start fighting frequently and with a vengeance or retire.

Actually, trash talk got him three UFC title shots, otherwise he would've been in bum Bellator or PFL.
Isn't that embarrassing, though? He's out there telling people he's pretending to be something he's not, just so he can get publicly beat up in title fights that he hasn't earned, and his now former friends can tell people he isn't actually acting about the stuff he says publicly and is much worse about the stuff he does privately.

There is absolutely no evidence that he he was in danger of being cut off a win, other than his own words. His timeline for his heel turn doesn't reflect the reality of when he did it, making his version of events suspect to begin with. And it's likely that he would have earned that first title shot if his win steak was what it was when he had his first fight with Usman, who had beaten most if not all of the division other than Colby. What his mouth really got him was the second title shot after just 1 fight, and a third after his win over Jorge. But he got beat in both those fights. Had he not talked his way into 2 title fights with more than a year off before them, he probably would have done better. Trash talk got him those fights, and those fights now define his career. Therefore, trash talk ruined his career.

His shtick made him more money and garnered him more fame than his fighting skills ever could have dreamed to.
This is prize fighting at the end of the day and his “persona” multiplied his prize 100 fold.
How? He never got a pay rise or ppv points

I remember when Chael fought Bisping, after the fight he continued to pump Bisping up, he said he got hit with the hardest shot in his career, Chael would talk shit and talk his opponent up at the same time.

Colby doesn't get it, he sounds like a big baby when he talks down his opponents the way he does, and goes onto to lose to them, a little humility goes a long way in shit talking.

Cut the promo and his next fight was for the interim belt - which he won. Followed by 6 main events in a row - 2 of which were Fight of The Night winners. Headlined MSG. Got the president of the USA to show up for his shows.

Might not be a flawless win/lose ratio, but "ruined" career, the fuck?

No one even knew his name before he started his goofy schtick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back