looking to buy a new nice watch

Hamilton khaki is a solid watch at an affordable price.

yup. I think the are the best watch u can get for undrr 500$ but that just my IMO and dont have a ton of info on alot of the wwtches out there.

Nah I think that first one is ugly too. :D
I was just fuckin w ya anyway.

Im guessing you bought said watch, since youre so angry about my opinion on it.

You have no idea what Im worth, and only a crybaby child would respond with "You are poor".

I was.

I've read that these sometimes have accuracy issues out of the box. Running fast/slow. But the movement is easy to work with so a simple regulation can have it running within cosc standards.

Agree if looking for a dive style...if going with a more casual/subtle look then hamilton khaki is a solid choice.

The skx is a solid buy at around $200. If looking at a dive style $500 and under I would opt for the sumo. But that's me. I have both the skx007 and a sumo and the sumo is a nicer watch but that also comes with a higher price (still under $500 though).

While I generally agree with your thoughts on quartz....I have spent more than $200 on a quartz movement. I wanted an ABC watch but wanted a certain look also. I decided on a suunto. It has been great for the past 2 years.
I wouldn't put Suunto in the same category to what I was referring to (overpriced quartz fashion watches). I have a suunto core. You're paying extra for the ABC capabilities, not overpaying for a fashionable look.

I wouldn't put Suunto in the same category to what I was referring to (overpriced quartz fashion watches). I have a suunto core. You're paying extra for the ABC capabilities, not overpaying for a fashionable look.
Absolutely agree.

For guys who like the skx, seiko also put out the SRP which has a slightly different movement(hacking and manual wind) and the old school turtle case.

I'm big time into watches. That being said, I don't own a prestige watch, because I don't have that kind of expendable cash.

General rule of thumb. Never spend more than $150-$200 on anything that has a quartz movement or non-Swiss made mechanical movement (I.e. movado). A movado is basically a severely overpriced timex.

A higher end Swiss prestige watch is a status symbol. If you got ballin money, then sure, it's arguable it makes sense to buy one. But when I see a regular guy wearing a $6K+ watch, all I can think is this guy is an idiot that can't control his spending. It's the exact opposite of a status symbol.

Regular guys are allowed to save cash and buy nice things too, some are into nice watch, other buy expensive mountain bikes, some are addicted to pricy gis, nice cars, holiday trip, suits, geek stuffs, restau gastro,...just cant spend in everything

Last edited:
Regular guys are allowed to save cash and buy nice things too, some are into nice watch, other buy expensive mountain bikes, some are addicted to pricy gis, nice cars, holiday trip, suits, geek stuffs, restau gastro,...just cant spend in everything
Anyone can buy anything they want. But there's not a ton of reasons out there for someone to buy a prestige Swiss mechanical watch. It's not more accurate than a cheap quartz watch. Maybe you're someone that's super interested in mechanical design and fascinated by the complexity of gear driven measurements of time, but there are vastly less expensive watches you can buy to satisfy that interest. The real reason most people spend $6K+ on a watch is because they want to wear a representation of wealth and a status symbol on their wrist for others to see. Again, anyone can buy anything they want, but if you're someone that wears a watch like that, and clearly don't have that kind of income to go with it, it's the opposite of a status symbol in my opinion. When I see that, I think here is a guy that wants people to think he is something he's not. Maybe he thinks it's going to impress women, or make others think he's super successful, but really it looks like someone putting on a pretend show for others and it's not working.

So yeah, regular guys are allowed to save money and spend it on a super expensive watch. And I'm allowed to see that guy and think he's an idiot.

Who the fuck wears watches anymore? Unless you have to wear something simple to keep track of time during work, just use a phone. I refuse to spent more than $30 on a watch anymore. It's 2017. You no longer need this accessory. Invest that money in a company or something

Who the fuck wears watches anymore? Unless you have to wear something simple to keep track of time during work, just use a phone. I refuse to spent more than $30 on a watch anymore. It's 2017. You no longer need this accessory. Invest that money in a company or something
Nobody needs anything other than basic transportation to get to and from work. A $15,000 stripped down model will get you there just the same as a $50,000 model. Turns out people enjoy different things and chose to spend their money on those things.

Nobody needs anything other than basic transportation to get to and from work. A $15,000 stripped down model will get you there just the same as a $50,000 model. Turns out people enjoy different things and chose to spend their money on those things.

That's true and is why I just went and sold my luxury car for a basic model that saves me several thousand a year. I'm a boring and cheap engineer.

Anyone can buy anything they want. But there's not a ton of reasons out there for someone to buy a prestige Swiss mechanical watch. It's not more accurate than a cheap quartz watch. Maybe you're someone that's super interested in mechanical design and fascinated by the complexity of gear driven measurements of time, but there are vastly less expensive watches you can buy to satisfy that interest. The real reason most people spend $6K+ on a watch is because they want to wear a representation of wealth and a status symbol on their wrist for others to see. Again, anyone can buy anything they want, but if you're someone that wears a watch like that, and clearly don't have that kind of income to go with it, it's the opposite of a status symbol in my opinion. When I see that, I think here is a guy that wants people to think he is something he's not. Maybe he thinks it's going to impress women, or make others think he's super successful, but really it looks like someone putting on a pretend show for others and it's not working.

So yeah, regular guys are allowed to save money and spend it on a super expensive watch. And I'm allowed to see that guy and think he's an idiot.

Agree. If you are not wealthy there is like a million things more important than an expensive watch.
Even more once you have a familly..

just use a cell phone or carry a wall clock around to tell time.

Has anyone mentioned using your cell phone to tell time yet?

I agree on some points. not everyone should buy a 6 g watch. just like no one really needs an expensive car or going to a expensive college. you can just go to your local community college or buy a cheap car. if you have the disposable income for me why not treat myself. im in my 40's and have worked hard all these years. I want something nice for me I could care less about status. you can make the argument about everything you spend money on. why do you need a cell phone find a pay phone or just wait till you get home that's how we old timers did it back in the day. why pay for cable tv when you can throw up an antenna and get 2,4,5,7,9 and 11 channels in the ny area.

I agree on some points. not everyone should buy a 6 g watch. just like no one really needs an expensive car or going to a expensive college. you can just go to your local community college or buy a cheap car. if you have the disposable income for me why not treat myself. im in my 40's and have worked hard all these years. I want something nice for me I could care less about status. you can make the argument about everything you spend money on. why do you need a cell phone find a pay phone or just wait till you get home that's how we old timers did it back in the day. why pay for cable tv when you can throw up an antenna and get 2,4,5,7,9 and 11 channels in the ny area.
I don't at all disagree with you about spending some money to treat yourself, or buying watches. I've been collecting watches for a long time. I just think spending $6K on a watch on an average guy salary is a bad move.
You're analogies don't really line up. If you really could care less about the status symbol of it, why buy a $6K watch from one of the top prestigious brands when you could spend $500 on a watch that tells time just as accurately, and does so mechanically almost identically? Like you said, no one needs an expensive car. I'd feel the same way about someone buying a Mercedes on a regular guy salary. Not everyone needs a phone, but most of your cell phones are relatively inexpensive on a regular guy salary. If a guy bought a $4K phone, I'd think that's a bad move too.

Back