Nate's Boxing Is So Overrated

Nate is a Hall of Famer and been in the game ten plus years. Made more money than anyone in the lightweight division except for BJ Penn. He also has 15 wins with some questionable decision losses. But yeah , some Sherdogger says he's overrated, so it must be so.
I think you’re mistaken Nate for Nick. Only questionable decision loss I can think off the top my head was against Guida & Conor. Other than that most of his decision losses were very clear losses.

Hard to call something so effective “overrated.” The rating comes from his ability to box up guys who are known to have good mma boxing. Oh, and Andre Ward disagrees. You know, the guy who is a former undefeated champion, that constantly topped pound for pound rankings.

It is awful

But most of this forum thought conor and ronda had amazing boxing
So what do you expect

Oh wait... because some pro boxer training partner or kiss ass says it
Then you must have good boxing
some pro boxer? you mean undefeated former world champ lol. troll detected.

Yeah yeah, I know this is coming

SMMHmG2S0WPp9Lc050HR5o5R7rtvAaxHaANmuI6Y2PA.gif

What's amazing is that you know exactly why your post is bullshit, but you still posted it anyway.

You should watch them again.
Should I? Is my memory failing or did Ben Henderson not clown him on the feet too? How about Josh Thomson moving laterally and avoiding all of Nates punches before landing that headlock?

Tremendous 1-2.

His head movement gets better as the fight goes on. Or maybe, his opponents get slower as he outworks them.

He and his brother never learned to cut off the octagon. They grew up with a mentality that fighters eagerly engaged, and never learned how to deal with fighters who are more picky with their shots. To their detriment.

But the fact is, he beats his opponents through pugilism. And a tremendous 1-2 is in fact good enough to put him in a category of "great MMA boxing", IMO. He's certainly no Mousasi though, on that we agree.
I was gunna say something similar. It's not that his footwork is bad it's just he's awful at cutting guys off. For some reason the Diaz bros are just content not learning how to do that. When he does get in exchanges he's able to box pretty well.

I was gunna say something similar. It's not that his footwork is bad it's just he's awful at cutting guys off. For some reason the Diaz bros are just content not learning how to do that. When he does get in exchanges he's able to box pretty well.
Unfortunately footwork is a very big part of boxing as a whole. Boxing does not consist of just punching but footwork and defense as well. So going by that TS has a point

Bullshit. Michael Johnson is a sound technical striker and Nate pieced him up for 3 straight rounds. Some have blasted him with low kicks, but you can’t name someone that outboxed him and he has fought plenty of top talent to have an adequate sample size. Aesthetically pleasing and good boxing are two different things. He has excellent timing, distance control, jab and clinch work is excellent.

The supremacy of Nate Diaz's boxing relative to his peers is perhaps the biggest myth on Sherdog history (okay not really, but it is still untruthful).

For some reason, people mistakenly assume boxing to be a simple act of throwing hands. This however, is not the case.

Boxing is much more than just spamming the 1 and 2. Footwork, striking defense, bobbing/weaving, countering, etc etc, all play an integral part of being a 'good' boxer.

Nate's striking defense is non-exist - unless you count blocking punches with your face as striking defense.

Nate's footwork is absolutely horrendous - he uses his upper body to throw punches, hardly ever getting any torque from his legs.

Nate doesn't bob, weave or counter - instead he stands upright and takes punches to the dome.

Yes, MMA boxing is different from regular boxing and often times a traditional boxing stance is a negative in this sport. That however, does not explain the lack of striking defense nor the lack of footwork.

But yes, Nate does have a splendid 1, 2.

<36>
anyone who judges his boxing by saying "he has a splendid 1-2"

Immediately expose themselves

if you aren't even aware of what he does well, you don't have any credibility and shouldn't even be making a thread.

I agree.
We both have to admit something though.
He looks uncoordinated, slow and sloppy, but somehow he manages to light a lot of people up.

Overrated? Yes.
Effective? Yes.

He looks so goofy and i laugh watching him throw hands. Everything he does in a fight looks like it shouldn't work, but it usually does.

That's because both diaz bro use a really old timey style of boxing. But it is a legit style and other boxers have used it to success. You just have to have certain attributes to use that style. But they do.

Also as far as mma striking goes, it helps a lot that neither bro is terrified of the takedown, because of their gracie bjj.

Unfortunately footwork is a very big part of boxing as a whole. Boxing does not consist of just punching but footwork and defense as well. So going by that TS has a point
There's lots of effective high level pro boxers who've had very plodding footwork.

Especially among the Mexicans.

You don't need to be Ali to be effective and dance around the ring to be a good / effective boxer.

Nate doesn't move well but that's not where he like to fight anyways. He's a pressure fighter who wants to swarm you. eventually after playing cat and mouse for a bit, he does work, largely because his ability to walk forward, take all strikes and his vastly superior cardio.

eventually they just can't keep up with the pace and pressure, which is where you see Nate start to find a flow.

Last edited:
There's lots of effective high level pro boxers who've had very plodding footwork.

Especially among the Mexicans.

You don't need to be Ali to be effective and dance around the ring to be a good / effective boxer.

Nate doesn't move well but that's not where he like to fight anyways. He's a pressure fighter who wants to swarm you. eventually after playing cat and mouse for a bit, he does work, largely because his ability to walk forward, take all strikes and his vastly superior cardio.

eventually they just can't keep up with the pace and pressure, which is where you are Nate start to find a flow.
I'm just saying, theres ways to be a pressure fighter without taking the amount of punishment that Diaz does. I'm just not convinced he's one of the best boxers in mma. Diaz is surprisingly great in the clinch at wearing people down though.

That's because both diaz bro use a really old timey style of boxing. But it is a legit style and other boxers have used it to success. You just have to have certain attributes to use that style. But they do.

Also as far as mma striking goes, it helps a lot that neither bro is terrified of the takedown, because of their gracie bjj.
Lots of oldschool boxers had some plodding ass footwork.

Mexicans..lol

but they throw the fuck down.

effectiveness is what matters, not looking pretty

I'm just saying, theres ways to be a pressure fighter without taking the amount of punishment that Diaz does. I'm just not convinced he's one of the best boxers in mma. Diaz is surprisingly great in the clinch at wearing people down though.
Well, mas and Conor are among the best strikers in mma as well, they're also incredibly accurate

you can see how using those fights as a frame of reference might paint a picture of his defense being a lot weaker than it actually is.

Well, mas and Conor are among the best strikers in mma as well, they're also incredibly accurate

you can see how using those fights as a frame of reference might paint a picture of his defense being a lot weaker than it actually is.
Fair point, those two definitely light up most fighters

Fair point, those two definitely light up most fighters
id have to go back and watch old tape

I feel like he wasn't hit much at all against Michael Johnson

Still, I wouldn't call his defense great and his head movement is non existent

but he rolls with punches for sure

Last edited:
Back