NBA urges players to voice themselves on social issues.

Are we likely to see the NBA promoting social justice this season?

• Total voters
They already tried this with ESPN. I think the majority of people are in agreement, sports are an escape and the more you inject politics into them, they aren't entertainment anymore. Do you sit down and watch a panel of CNN hosts debate racial issues when you want to relax after a long week?

I'm not following you man.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts co-signed a preseason letter to the league's players encouraging them in the pursuit of social consciousness.

In the letter, obtained by ESPN, Silver and Roberts told the players, "None of us operates in a vacuum. Critical issues that affect our society also impact you directly. Fortunately, you are not only the world's greatest basketball players -- you have real power to make a difference in the world, and we want you know that the Players Association and the League are always available to help you figure out the most meaningful way to make that difference."

i

espnapi_mag_nbasilver01_py_576x324_wmain.jpg

Michele Roberts and Adam Silver are encouraging NBA players to be socially conscious. Jennifer S. Altman/Washington Post/Getty Images
The NBA's letter comes as the NFL grapples with its players' social expressions, including players kneeling during the national anthem.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20621478/nba-union-pen-letter-players-urging-social-awareness

yes, if there is a shining instance of blacks being oppressed and impoverished it is the fucking NBA.

See Chris, I understand that you think that politicos don't have anything to add to sports, but this is America and it would be discriminatory if you were to exclude them. It doesn't matter if they want to derail the game with protests or have nothing to add to your enjoyment, it would be sports segregation otherwise. So unless you support safe spaces like a triggered snowflake, you're going to let them in the event and deal with whatever baggage they bring with them, and like it.

There are no battlefields, there's only free speech and not free speech. Stop contributing to politico genocide.

Fair enough but I dont want to hear any complaining about white racists when people decide that it doesnt feel like the enviorment people want to hang out in and the revenue goes down or certain players cant get signed. Everyone has the right to free speech but most people really hate the consequences

I didnt ask if it was legal I asked if it was appropriate. People with kids and shit dont want to get bogged down in any kind of heavy political lecture they just want to have some family time.
I think rights are always complex man im not saying they dont have the right to say what they want but that the time and the place is not appropriate . I dont tell dirty jokes when im around little kids or in a family environment for the same reason not that I dont have the right but because I dont want to be an asshole

This move reeks of asshole. You wont catch me at a boycott or a protest im just stating my opinion

I mean...

I don't actually care about what players think about the social climate. Adam Silver is a snake, but I'm still gonna enjoy games.

People who "stop being fans" because a player with 14 college credits said something they don't like are weak.

Great. Now the country will not only be figuratively talked down to by more extremely wealthy entertainers, but literally too.
Good post.

I already don't watch the nba. But this will now be my reasoning.

You either turn on the TV or you don't.

There's a difference between "ban them!", and "go for it, fuck off, I'm watching something else".

Lefties try to ban Trump flakes.
Righties just don't buy Hillary flakes.

Everyone pisses on each other all day long, at least the parties are equal there... Yay.

I already don't watch the nba. But this will now be my reasoning.

My reasoning is that it's rigged and basketball is a stupid game anyways. Show me another game where the team that's down points late intentionally gets caught cheating in order to drastically improve their chances of catching up.

Lol, is this a joke?
No. Hockey players are openly allowed to fight. They're more likely to aggress all the way to outright assaults like hitting each other on the head with hockey sticks and making guys hit their heads on the ice. They've engaged in brawls with fans in the stands, yet there was much more "thug" allegations the one time NBA players did the same thing.

I find it funny how hockey fans will call basketball players and fans "thugs" even though they're fans of a much more inherently violent sport which rewards thuggish behavior to a much larger extent. Funny how that works out, huh? ;)

I'd say the NHL has more of a thug culture. Funny how nobody ever says that, though. ;)
Well with hockey, that fights are pretty much part of the sport right?

The refs sorta just let them get a couple shots in and then break it up.

Well with hockey, that fights are pretty much part of the sport right?

The refs sorta just let them get a couple shots in and then break it up.
Yes, but it's gone much further than that many times, yet without any of the thug allegations that NBA players get for a lot less violence.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and National Basketball Players Association executive director Michele Roberts co-signed a preseason letter to the league's players encouraging them in the pursuit of social consciousness.

In the letter, obtained by ESPN, Silver and Roberts told the players, "None of us operates in a vacuum. Critical issues that affect our society also impact you directly. Fortunately, you are not only the world's greatest basketball players -- you have real power to make a difference in the world, and we want you know that the Players Association and the League are always available to help you figure out the most meaningful way to make that difference."

i

espnapi_mag_nbasilver01_py_576x324_wmain.jpg

Michele Roberts and Adam Silver are encouraging NBA players to be socially conscious. Jennifer S. Altman/Washington Post/Getty Images
The NBA's letter comes as the NFL grapples with its players' social expressions, including players kneeling during the national anthem.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20621478/nba-union-pen-letter-players-urging-social-awareness
NBA run by Cultural Marxists confirmed.

Yes, but it's gone much further than that many times, yet without any of the thug allegations that NBA players get for a lot less violence.
Well probably because punching is part of the sport, for a few blows anyway.

Obviously not as much as mma or boxing.

I took a knee during the National Anthem wowww I'm soo edgy.

Why do none of the black athletes speak out against black on black violence? Or the lack of co-operation with Police in black communities?

Because whites have a problem with it for some reason

No. Hockey players are openly allowed to fight. They're more likely to aggress all the way to outright assaults like hitting each other on the head with hockey sticks and making guys hit their heads on the ice. They've engaged in brawls with fans in the stands, yet there was much more "thug" allegations the one time NBA players did the same thing.

I find it funny how hockey fans will call basketball players and fans "thugs" even though they're fans of a much more inherently violent sport which rewards thuggish behavior to a much larger extent. Funny how that works out, huh? ;)

You're talking about a singular incident in the history of hockey when Mike Millbury went into the stands. KOing someone with a slash to the head has happened maybe twice in the history of the NHL.

I won't even address the fighting comment because anyone who actually played hockey or is a fan knows there is nothing thuggish about the fighting aspect of the sport, that's just ignorance on your part.

More importantly, I'm under the impression that when people say a sport has a "thug culture", they're not talking about the actual on field play. They're talking about the character of it's participants. So if lots of nfl players are getting caught selling or in possession of drugs, beating up their wives, dog fighting, getting popped on weapons charges, gang related activity etc., that would be the "culture" part of the sport.

That's my understanding, hence my astonishment at your labeling of all those suburban, white hockey players as thugs, lol.

Fair enough but I dont want to hear any complaining about white racists when people decide that it doesnt feel like the enviorment people want to hang out in and the revenue goes down or certain players cant get signed. Everyone has the right to free speech but most people really hate the consequences

I didnt ask if it was legal I asked if it was appropriate. People with kids and shit dont want to get bogged down in any kind of heavy political lecture they just want to have some family time.
I think rights are always complex man im not saying they dont have the right to say what they want but that the time and the place is not appropriate . I dont tell dirty jokes when im around little kids or in a family environment for the same reason not that I dont have the right but because I dont want to be an asshole

This move reeks of asshole. You wont catch me at a boycott or a protest im just stating my opinion

Guys like him are always trying to shoehorn in the "need a safe space, snowflake?" type of shit into anything they can. As if making a thread on Sherdog and saying "hey I'd rather not hear political commentary when I'm watching sports" is the same thing as burning the flag and destroying property when an election doesn't go your way, or rioting and no-platforming speakers who you disagree with. Or needing colouring books, etc.

Hockey has more of a thug culture on the ice, because it's basically a thuggish game. Played by gentlemen for the most part. Not many hockey players getting arrested for murders, drugs etc or getting hit with paternity suits from multiple women. But I guess there are probably exceptions.

The NHL can't stop allowing fights, or they'll lose half of the fan base. They know this.

And I'm pretty sure McSorley paid a price for what he did. That guy will be shit on forever. What names do you think he's been called for the last 25 years? I surely hope he wasn't called "thug".
That incident is all that he is. It's like talking to Scott Norwood. Uhhh... so... how bout that Super Bowl miss? Uh... why'd you nearly kill that guy?

Hockey has more of a thug culture on the ice, because it's basically a thuggish game. Played by gentlemen for the most part. Not many hockey players getting arrested for murders, drugs etc or getting hit with paternity suits from multiple women. But I guess there are probably exceptions.

Hockey is an extremely rough sport, the roughness of a game has no correlation to the culture of said sport being "thuggish".

It also doesn't mean that the roughness of the sport can be equated with "thugishness".

"Thugishness" is associated with criminality, in this regard it would be how common incidents of serious criminality are with the participants of a particular sport.

If it were true that the roughness of a sport was correlated to "thuggish participants" than rugby, hurling, wrestling, mma, boxing, sambo, etc. Would all be full of thugs, which isn't the case.

You're talking about a singular incident in the history of hockey when Mike Millbury went into the stands. KOing someone with a slash to the head has happened maybe twice in the history of the NHL.

I won't even address the fighting comment because anyone who actually played hockey or is a fan knows there is nothing thuggish about the fighting aspect of the sport, that's just ignorance on your part.

More importantly, I'm under the impression that when people say a sport has a "thug culture", they're not talking about the actual on field play. They're talking about the character of it's participants. So if lots of nfl players are getting caught selling or in possession of drugs, beating up their wives, dog fighting, getting popped on weapons charges, gang related activity etc., that would be the "culture" part of the sport.

That's my understanding, hence my astonishment at your labeling of all those suburban, white hockey players as thugs, lol.
I never called anyone thugs, just pointing out the double standards. Unlike some other people I'm willing to call out double standards and hypocrisy on both sides. Different people get treated differently for the same behavior. I think society should try to have a single standard as much as possible.

Back