Nuclearlandmine's journey to detonation V1: I hate douchebags

Status
Not open for further replies.
DivineComedy,

Well you are a coach so you should know better than me. I just think the pace and intensity could definitely pick up. I am not asking for him to do it all the time but post one round of hard boxing on that bag every once in a while would be nice. and if he loses his form then he'll see it on vid and work on it more when he's doing it slowly.

i don't know that's just me. i am an impatient person so i guess i am just echoing how i would be doing it which i guess would be wrong...

I ment on impact, it hurts less if its a semi closed fist vs a fully closed one, so the focus of the sparring session is to tag the other guy but not hurt him... Your hands should always be open and loose

I ment on impact, it hurts less if its a semi closed fist vs a fully closed one, so the focus of the sparring session is to tag the other guy but not hurt him... Your hands should always be open and loose

I always keep my hands open when sparring. ALWAYS.

Since this is the end of the year and celebration of this thread reaching 1000 replies, I'm gonna elaborate a bit about my usual training for the past 6 months. Now i train by myself, and i have other shits to do in the day that i can only train around 12am to 2am in the morning when everybody is asleep.

Now the reason i don't run is that my knees are pretty wack from the basketball playing days, so i want to rest it as much as possible. So i did HIIT in bicycle but that was a while ago and i stopped doing it already (maybe start to do it again but idk). As for jump rope, Sinister told me NOT to use it for the moment. Why? Go and ask him.

Every time i train, i often split my time into rounds. For example today (the first day that i finally incorporate conditioning works into the training so it will be the template for the future - in the past there's only techniques and skills block) i did 2 time blocks:

block 1: 5x5 minutes round (this block is focus on techniques and skills)
round 1: tile exercise w/punching (yes, this is my warm up)
round 2 and 3: shadowboxing
round 4 and 5: double end bagworks

after that block is done, i rest for 10 minutes and switch to the next block:

block 2: 4x3 minutes round (this round is conditioning)
round 1: punching endurance drill
round 2: jumping jacks drill
round 3: rest (first time doing this so i was quite tired lol)
round 4: medicine ball toss (the medicine ball is DIY so it is basically goddamn rock i toss up and down)

And as the warm down, another 5 minutes of tile exercise, but with rolling.

So totally, i worked around roughly an hour of training include rest inbetween intervals. Personally, i think by using this intervals kind of training allow me to train cardio at the same time, as it gets used to the intervals in an MMA fight. And if i happen to do boxing, I also have enough cardio to work with too. Also, it allowed me to squeeze the most work out of an hour, both techniques and conditioning-wise with the limited amount of resources i have. Now i don't do these daily, but i try to be consistent at least 3 or 4 times a week. This is not including the time where I read and research on my own.

single legs are very high percentage in the right hands. there are lot of different ways you can finish one and they are easier to get because you only need one leg as opposed to two.

anderson silva has very good takedown defense, chael sonnon can take anobody down, hes a southpawn and he doesnt have any trouble taking down orhtodox fighters i am sure.

some people actually prefer the single leg over the double.you can fight in this stance but i know it flies in the face of everything that is taught "mainstream", even in mma and kickboxing.

keep in mind if a wrestling can get that front leg, there are many options, he can even switch it up to a double (but he doesnt have to), you dont want them to get that leg at all.

i am sure its fine but it makes me wonder how to defend takedowns the best way.

single legs are very high percentage in the right hands. there are lot of different ways you can finish one and they are easier to get because you only need one leg as opposed to two.

anderson silva has very good takedown defense, chael sonnon can take anobody down, hes a southpawn and he doesnt have any trouble taking down orhtodox fighters i am sure.

some people actually prefer the single leg over the double.you can fight in this stance but i know it flies in the face of everything that is taught "mainstream", even in mma and kickboxing.

keep in mind if a wrestling can get that front leg, there are many options, he can even switch it up to a double (but he doesnt have to), you dont want them to get that leg at all.

i am sure its fine but it makes me wonder how to defend takedowns the best way.

Like i said there are many ways for me to defend takedown. As i said, i prefers to be proactive in defense, like using footworks and such. IMO Sprawl is when my proactive defense already fail or the opponent have speed advantages. That's when you need to be reactive

Thats good, but out of curiosity how can you parry with ur hands that low?? Thats why I keep my rear hand glued to the chin to parry off jabs but maybe its different for southpaws

Rear hand parry can be done from hand that low because it is a quick and economized motion, so there's really no need to let your hand up to chin level as upper rib level is enough. This is not mention that i can use my lead hand to parry as well, but i have to watch out for lead hook in this case.

My style is lead hand low, rear on the chin... Its also usefull for "answerin the phone" block, but that would be imposible from ribs level

Edit: and congrats!!! 1000 posts!!!

Like i said there are many ways for me to defend takedown. As i said, i prefers to be proactive in defense, like using footworks and such. IMO Sprawl is when my proactive defense already fail or the opponent have speed advantages. That's when you need to be reactive

Rear hand parry can be done from hand that low because it is a quick and economized motion, so there's really no need to let your hand up to chin level as upper rib level is enough. This is not mention that i can use my lead hand to parry as well, but i have to watch out for lead hook in this case.

are there any manuals on how fighters used to wrestling out of the old school stance i wonder? it would be interesting to read.

are there any manuals on how fighters used to wrestling out of the old school stance i wonder? it would be interesting to read.

Couldnt remember anything off the top of my head. I think you should look around the net for boxing instructional that is published pre-1900 or even older than that. Although i do faintly remember about an rather old boxing instructional that deal both about wrestling and boxing.

And welp, it is time for this thread to be archives and i will make a V2 for 2013 then lol.

i think in the old old days boxing actually could mean a combination of wrestling and boxing but used under the same word. i think wrestling also had the same conotation. a lot of it was bareknuckle or with leather handwraps.

So allow me to interrupt the thread to finally reply to some of the notions tossed around using my name here. Only because I do not want it confused what my actual principals of fighting are. It seems a lot of things are being lost in translation, as some of you should keep in mind you're speaking with someone in Nuke whose first language is not English, and a lot of times there are better ways to word what he's trying to say. Or, things are not being said in their right context. Contexts that were established in Nuke's older threads which it seems a few people are not bothering to read even if only to see my input/corrections. Hence, arguments are being re-hashed again and again. Arguments which Nuke himself has a VERY difficult time not entertaining. Nuke also does not have the benefit of training with me in-person. If he did, a lot of the lingering stuff he does would be addressed and repaired a lot faster. The way things are, he's always in some way going to be left on his own to figure things out. But that he wants to figure things out with regards to these methods is why he's so adamant about not abandoning them for what would seem like more convenient practices.

So here we go:

I have not, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be and advocate of fighting WITH THE HANDS DOWN. Did I state that clearly enough? Do I need to state it again? But I think many people are confused as to what "hands up" and "hands down" actually mean. Many of you seem to carry the notion that if your hands aren't glued to your face, then they're down. Which is stupid. You want to see hands down? Look up Naseem Hamed, he fought with his hands down. Here is ME, in MY stance with a guy I worked with in his:

ArtvsLu.jpg

The rear hand I keep within thumb distance of the chin, so if it needs to be brought up, it takes about a blink. Lead hand is OUT not DOWN. Get it? Out not down. There's an incredibly huge difference. And many of you have seen videos where I instruct students to keep their lead hand OUT. I have maybe two students whom I allow to keep it down, but that's primarily because they do it as a trap. And they're educated on HOW to make it a trap, and not a liability. They do not do such a thing out of ignorance.

- So how do I actually feel about hand placement? What I've said numerous times, but almost never gets acknowledged (especially when Nuke says it), is that I do not advocate the hands being up for the purpose of primary defense. Defense, as I teach it, is first maintained by controlling distance, which Nuke currently does poorly. However, no more poorly than anyone with the same level of experience. Second principal of defense is POSITIONING. Hands are a last resort, to be used when the first two fail.

- But hey, so and so had their hands up at this precise moment in time: Yes of course. As stated above hands can be used to obstruct a blow. So can elbows and shoulders. A well-timed tuck of the chin can direct a blow to a cheekbone or a forehead, harder parts that don't hurt as bad, and the tucking can brace the neck better. However, when you see a guy like a Mike McCallum with his rear hand up catching jabs with it and striking back, it might serve to really watch a few times and ask yourself if what you're seeing is what's happening.

Eddie Futch did NOT teach catching the jab (something passed down to Benton, used by Joe Frazier, Ken Norton, and McCallum most notably, the first two used it to defeat Muhammad Ali) as a means of defending oneself against the jab. In other words it wasn't meant as a BLOCK. The reason to catch the jab is to learn where your opponent is. Try it sometime. When your opponent jabs you, use your rear-hand to catch it. Get him jabbing into it. Then throw your own jab back, or whatever you want depending on how comfortable you feel. Frazier threw hooks, Mike liked to right hand over the jab with the same hand he caught the jab with. Quite a feat, but when you know where the guy is and have his timing down because you've hypnotized him into throwing his jab at your glove, you can do what you want. As for Mike's fight with Julian Jackson, he put his hands up because Julian both blitzed and hurt him. He was hurt, Julian was rushing him, at the moment he had literally no other choice. Do we cover up when we've run out of choices? For sure, any human would. That doesn't mean it's the BEST option or even should be a primary option.

Eddie Futch was a very big proponent of DEFENSE WITHOUT THE OCCUPYING THE HANDS. So am I. In this view, the hands are offensive weapons. And they ARE up, but they're not up for defense, they're up to punch the other fella. If they're not actually punching the other fella, they're up to threaten him. If you look at the above photo again, anyone who stands in front of me is going to feel like they have a gun or knife pointed at them. Same for anyone who stands in front of the guy I worked with. They're going to feel threatened. That's why our hands are up, but if you attempt to hit us we're not going to compromise that threat to block your blow. It's more optimal to make a subtle change in positioning, while maintaining control of distance if possible, enough to make you miss and then make the threat become actual damage.

- In terms of kicks: Once upon a time I used to do kicking Arts. I was actually pretty obsessed with them. So was Dadi. So is SAAMAG. No one here is entirely ignorant to kicks, not even Nuke after getting dropped by that Kyokushin guy. However his notion of using the stances or principals he prefers and taking notions from such arts as TKD, Boxing, etc., I don't understand why that thought process would be shat upon, that's the ESSENCE of what MMA is supposed to be.

Methinks sometimes you guys respond to this thread as if it's someone who is claiming to already be at the top, rather than someone starting at the bottom and wanting to go there. It's like there's this constant reminding of "hey, you're NOT at the top, you're NOT even that good!!" Really? That needs to be said to a guy who posted footage of himself getting knocked on his ass?

- Opposite-handed fighting: The photo above is not a deception. I myself AM a Southpaw. 5/6 of the people who stand right in front of me for instruction purposes are not. So why would I exclude something that's important for a Southpaw? But then, if you remember the first thing I said, why would I even say that having the hands DOWN as a general principal is optimal for ANYONE? However, if I'm fighting an orthodox guy I'm not going to glue my right hand to my forehead, because I want him threatened by it. Whether or not he is depends on if I can effectively face the center line on him, and maintain my positioning and control of distance.

However, I must say that tacking up Pernell Whitaker and Michael Nunn's fighting ability to their reflexes OR speed is a great insult to their teachers (one of whom was Georgie Benton himself). Especially considering that Pernell was still extremely difficult to hit when he was fighting younger and even faster people than he was.

I also do not agree that Floyd has problems against Southpaws because he keeps his hand down. He historically had problems with Southpaws because he often gave up his positioning against them, but that had more to do with his over all body positioning. His hand positioning was an afterthought to that. Put it like this, recently I broke down why Dawson had huge problems with Ward despite that Dawson was both bigger, and faster than Andre Ward. Take the problems I noted about Dawson (Southpaw) and reverse them, and you have the source of Floyd's historical problems against Southpaws. But Floyd's adjustment (until he fought Ortiz) was a simple, but effective one. Stop going backwards, go on the attack. He ended up beating a lot of them up by taking away the initiative their better positions gave them.

- Why would this work in MMA? Well, of course kicking range adds a lot of x-factors, and in anyone I'd ever train for fighting in MMA, that would have to be accounted for as well as being taken down. However, distance, positioning, landing punches, those 3 things are EXTREMELY relevant in EVERY facet of MMA. Even in the clinch, even on the ground. But I must also clear up something about Arni, he is not my student yet. He's Dadi's student, I only worked with him over the summer in prep for his comeback. And I will be his Boxing trainer once he comes to the UFC here in Vegas. Now that that's also cleared-up, sure he had some problems with leg kicks, just as Mike had problems with Julian Jackson. Arni is also a slow-starter AND had rust. However, what Murrie was doing was VERY effective, and had he kept Arni either too far, or too close, he'd have maybe at most lost an ugly decision, or won via whatever he could do off of the leg-kicks. But hey, that's the risk we take. It's a fight, you're going to get hit and probably hurt. Arni almost got killed in the first round against Siver, but managed the best victory of his career in that same bout. It's all on how the over all package comes together, even if we don't like some of the smaller details.

Last edited:
I'm just gonna bump this thread up every 3 hours now for people to see that.
Oh Sinister, apologize for the usage of the word "Student" in relation to Arni. I was using it in my own native language's sense rather than context-wise.

Don't worry about it. And I don't think there's a need for a lot of bumps. Pretty much everyone who reads your thread has likely seen it by now.

Make no mistake, the road you've chosen is a long and difficult one, with very few means of knowing things are correct. But as you could tell by TheBruteFist's thread, I can respect the determination shown in pursuing something that's Historically valid, despite the incredible difficulty of doing so.

Woah that clears alot shit up

Its a hard road but eventually you are gonna need a real gym when u move to australia, you cant learn from the internet forever, with most importantly, real sparring partners to push you... But the better base you can get now the better

Nice post.
At least u explain your position . Some i agree with and I some I don't.
I'll post on it later because I'll have to multi quote and I can't do that off an iPad .

I'll leave you with this , you make the mistake of assuming that my arguments on technique are against you (save maybe one or two) .They're not. Remember who's thread this is and whom we're commenting on.

sinister can you clear this up for me, do you use the shoulder roll in your system or is that something different?

what main way would you block in this stance, just an ordinary block? (I mean the typical bring your arm up)

Yes...remember that Sinister. You remember that!

KP, if you're commenting on the OP...why even bring up someone else? Leave it between you and the OP. Problem solved. And to you Sinister...I only agree with like 25% of what you say. Maaaaybe 27% but that's pushing it.

Last edited:
hey nuclear this is a long thread can you sum it up for me? Sinister said somthing about historicaly valid wondering what that was. saw your kumite thread still not sure why you did that, im interested to know. if you dont mind

* QC *
1.So here we go:the stances or principals he prefers and taking notions from such arts as TKD, Boxing, etc., I don't understand why that thought process would be shat upon, that's the ESSENCE of what MMA is supposed to be.

2. Methinks sometimes you guys respond to this thread as if it's someone who is claiming to already be at the top, rather than someone starting at the bottom and wanting to go there. It's like there's this constant reminding of "hey, you're NOT at the top, you're NOT even that good!!" Really? That needs to be said to a guy who posted footage of himself getting knocked on his ass?
*QC*

Having read & following on Sinister's textbook post.... #1012....

1. On NO. 1.,, Seriously, given your fighting style, your hand guard / defense against the KK High Round Kicks was pretty good for a 1st match.... Which Sinister states in Point NO. 2.

2. The KK guys used their experience against you in an unfair way by resorting to
excessive contact....

>>> Had they kept the level of contact reasonable.... your hand-guard defense given the level you were at in your overall training.... would probably have squared up the outcome considerably....

KarateStylist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back