**official mundials thread**

I don't know about that, it seems to me like all these guys are so close, and if Xande can beat Roger than *any* of these guys can also, on a good day, beat Roger.

Buchecha did an amazing comeback, probably the most amazing comeback.

but wtf was Leo thinking? just pull guard he would get the fight.

and if Braulio is right, Roger can beat em all.

He tried to pull guard, but buchecha was too fast going for the double. Then he tried to stand back up and defend but it was too late. Then he tried to hold but buchecha kept going and jumped to the mount.

the only way Xande beat Roger was by avoiding the ground at all costs, he used his better takedowns at that time to win, that would never happen again now

Lets be realistic here guys. Roger hasn't competed in two years now. You think he can just throw on a gi and beat everyone?

You saw the difference it made in Xande's game since he started competing more again. Of course it effects you.

I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Roger and Marcelo competed this year and neither won. The game is advancing and growing too quickly to be able to take a year off and still compete at the highest level.

I think Rodolfo could beat Roger if any of them could. Simply because of his style. I also believe that Rodolfo would beat Buchecha most times when they grapple.

Lets be realistic here guys. Roger hasn't competed in two years now. You think he can just throw on a gi and beat everyone?

You saw the difference it made in Xande's game since he started competing more again. Of course it effects you.

I wouldn't have been at all surprised if Roger and Marcelo competed this year and neither won. The game is advancing and growing too quickly to be able to take a year off and still compete at the highest level.

I don't know. There's likely no game Roger hasn't seen or played against. As of RIGHT NOW I still believe Roger would crush Rodolfo and Buchecha's guards if he gets on top. Doesn't matter though. Buchecha is the man right now. Simple as that.

MG has beaten every contender in MW (Claudio Calasans, Lucas Letie, Victor Estima) already, the thing MG stands out compares to others is his ability to remain on top, he beat both Calasans and Leties by sweeping them and remain on top, i doubt it has changes yet. Not to mention people are anticipating Roger's return is mainly the younger generation in the heavier weights, and how Roger can impose his game on these young fellows.

Braulio is a very skillful grappler and he knows old school and modern moves very well, if Braulio said Roger made him look silly that is a huge statement on how Roger would perform against newer generations.

Roger is still training in the gi, nothing has changed, he only did 1-2 competitions a year so you can't even say he would be competition rusty since it never affected him before

I want to believe that. You won't find a bigger Roger fan than me (ok, well after TrumpetDan) but with each passing year, the sport develops more and more quickly.

You're probably right about Marcelo. Calasans didn't look that great this year and Otavio, though he fought awesomely, I don't think has the game to beat Marcelo.

I think Rodolfo with a good game plan can beat Roger. Maybe its just been too long since I've watched Roger compete :)

I'd consider Roger to be the favorite against anyone tonight.

But that shouldn't take away from the great bjj we saw. Wasn't sold on the 5050 positions when they first became popular a few years back, but there was a shitload of technique tonight.

Compares to Buchecha and Rodolfo, i give Rodoflo a much better chance to beat Roger due to his size(short and stocky), stand up and his pressure on top.

Buchecha's game is too movement based, Roger would shut it down like PDP did .

btw, gosh i hate Yuri Simoes game, always wanna pull 50/50 to win on point (like he did to Lovato), glad Xande passed his guard.

Last edited:
Rodolfo got swept once or twice this weekend, also I think his guard would have nothing for Roger's passing

I don't know. There's likely no game Roger hasn't seen or played against. As of RIGHT NOW I still believe Roger would crush Rodolfo and Buchecha's guards if he gets on top. Doesn't matter though. Buchecha is the man right now. Simple as that.

I think Rodolfo could "Xande" Roger. I would not be hugely surprised if he were to do that. I mean, i would be like "oh shit, Roger actually lost" but it wouldnt cause my head to explode or anything.

I love the new guys but...

Roger would beat them passing or from guard, at will.

Nothing I saw today comes close to his dominance from a few years ago.

Buchecha looked like he was the next big star this past weekend.

I think Rodolfo could "Xande" Roger. I would not be hugely surprised if he were to do that. I mean, i would be like "oh shit, Roger actually lost" but it wouldnt cause my head to explode or anything.

That I agree with. I believe Rodolfo best chance against Roger is too force Roger into a Judo like match, which Roger will do at times. I just don't believe there's anything on the ground Rodolfo or Buchecha could bring Roger hasn't seen especially Roger on top. Roger destroys guards and maintains it. Guys do recover against Rodolfo. But till it happens, who knows.

MG has beaten every contender in MW (Claudio Calasans, Lucas Letie, Victor Estima) already, the thing MG stands out compares to others is his ability to remain on top, he beat both Calasans and Leties by sweeping them and remain on top, i doubt it has changes yet.

MG won the matches you referenced decisively however I noticed that after he scored he played it safe until time ran out. That's part of the reason why he stayed on top. The other is that's he Marcelo Garcia, lol.

But its possible that if he tried those same tactics today with the with the ref that Calasans/Souza had, that he would also be warned/penalized for passivity. So I think the claim that he would still win today can be debated.

MG won the matches you referenced decisively however I noticed that after he scored he played it safe until time ran out. That's part of the reason why he stayed on top. The other is that's he Marcelo Garcia, lol.

But its possible that if he tried those same tactics today with the with the ref that Calasans/Souza had, that he would also be warned/penalized for passivity. So I think the claim that he would still win today can be debated.

Marcelo explained why Leite had better success against him when I was there. It was a private discussion so I'll keep it private but if you ever go to his school, ask him. It has nothing to do with new school techniques.

This worlds imo is better than last years, in general a lot more unpredictability and exciting in most division.

I personally wouldn't thought Otavio would be the champ, i honestly thought Kron or Clark would beat him before QF, i thought Claudio and Lucas Leite would beat him decisively but Otavio's performance was awesome.

Then the heavyweight fights was awesome, Buchecha brings it every fight! Xande vs Rodolfo was amazing!! The comeback of Romulo was inspiriting! (i bet Galvao regretted he jump the barricade now).

BTW, sucks to be Caio when he loses by ref decision then being mock "cry baby cry" by the Alliance crowd LOL, he should hire more lobbyist!

Back