Old movies

sweede

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Latley I have started to watch some older movies that has went under my radar during my life time. I have collected lesser known movies that has a good average rating score and until now I have been quite disapointed.

Some famous old movies such as the Judgment at Nuremberg 1961 and Paths of Glory 1957 has aged well in my opinion, but many other "classics" not so much.

Heaven Knows Mr Allison 1957, is time I wish I could have spent on other projects. Instead I struggled until the very end and hoped for something that never came. A marine and a nun alone on an Island is a formula that could have developed in to something more sinister than the valiant borefest that sadly was the main theme from start to finish. I was hoping for Robert Mitchum to morph in to rape mode and the japanese soldiers coming for Deborah Kerrs rescue. Is it me or the time that is now that has lost track with our humanity? 5/10

heavenknowsmrallison-06.jpg

The Haunting 1963
, has been louded as one of the most scary movies ever created. If I can recall my childhood, I think I saw it when I was a child. But it wasn´t scary enough to be a permanent resident in my memory bank. And sadly it wasn´t scary at all when I saw it yesterday. This is an example of older movies praised for no aparent reason. While Heaven Knows Mr Allison fucked with my moral compass, this one was in my humble opinion just a pure snorefest. I was not preparing for blood and gore, I was preparing for a psychological horror using shadows and smart camera angles with a good plot. But instead it focused to much on Julie harris neurotic meltdown(she was neurotic before she set foot on Hill House), to the degree it became annoying. 4/10

4c7b8ad9170ca973a5ad20538e3ada1b.jpg

So what say you Mayberry. What movies that stood the test of time would belong to your lists?

Future or maybe not list.

The Train 1964

MV5BMjkxMzMzODM1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTYxNDY3NA@@._V1_.jpg

In the heat of the Night 1967

In-the-Heat-of-the-Night-Film-768x539-c-default.jpg

The Battle of Algiers 1966

image-w856.jpg

The Innocents 1961

theinnocents5.jpg

Attachments

• 4c7b8ad9170ca973a5ad20538e3ada1b.jpg
    4c7b8ad9170ca973a5ad20538e3ada1b.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I like older movies myself I'm 50 so older movies to me are early 70s and older.
Some of my favorites.
waituntildark.jpg

Annex-Douglas-Kirk-Spartacus_NRFPT_07.jpg

MV5BMTg5ODY4NDcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU3OTEyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

From+Here+to+Eternity+Poster.jpg

th

king-kong-1933.jpg

My dad was in this movie at the very beginning as a crewman

81eUIQzRGwL._SY445_.jpg

Seconds
Fail Safe

A couple of classic horror movies that stand the test of time imo.

Repulsion (1965)
Repulsion_%281965_film_poster%29.jpg
repulsion.jpg

Eyes Without A Face (1960)
p10378_p_v8_aa.jpg

ewaf3.jpg

I actually liked the original mr and mrs smith, a rare hitchcock comedy, and was excited when they were going to remake it but then it was totally different, the only thing they kept was the title

3aef5a7c8145b61dec1a3e8ee51cfba2--robert-montgomery-carole-lombard.jpg

My dad was in this movie at the very beginning as a crewman

81eUIQzRGwL._SY445_.jpg

Cool story as the man in your avatar. Love him and he should have won Oscars for Nobody´s Fool 1994 and the Verdict 1982. My favorite movies of his.

MPW-44025.jpg 1982-verdict.jpg

A couple of classic horror movies that stand the test of time imo.

Repulsion (1965)
Repulsion_%281965_film_poster%29.jpg
repulsion.jpg

Eyes Without A Face (1960)
p10378_p_v8_aa.jpg

ewaf3.jpg

I have the restored and remastered version of Repulsion. Great movie! The second one I have to find. Thanks!

Both great movies! Is it the matador scene in the beginning of Fail Safe or am I mistaken? I remember it being so out of place but really creative.

My favorite Newman movie is 'Cat On a Hot Tin Roof'

I have the restored and remastered version of Repulsion. Great movie! The second one I have to find. Thanks!

All good pal. Eyes Without A Face inspired Michael Myers' appearance, and also the movie "Face Off". Way ahead of its time.

I actually liked the original mr and mrs smith, a rare hitchcock comedy, and was excited when they were going to remake it but then it was totally different, the only thing they kept was the title

3aef5a7c8145b61dec1a3e8ee51cfba2--robert-montgomery-carole-lombard.jpg

Never heard of this. Is it worth a watch?

Gotta binge on dat French cinema bro. So many classics

220px-_Bob_le_flambeur.jpg

385_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

51_CF9_FG4_NHL._SY445.jpg

du-rififi-chez-les-hommes.jpg

v1.b_Tsx_MTYx_NDIx_Njtq_Oz_E3_Nz_I5_Oz_Ey_MDA7_Nz_Iw_Ozk2_MA.jpg

I enjoyed Requim for a Heavyweight:

51VNyj-JgjL._SY445_.jpg

serling-requiem-777.jpg

I like older movies myself I'm 50 so older movies to me are early 70s and older.
Some of my favorites.
waituntildark.jpg

Annex-Douglas-Kirk-Spartacus_NRFPT_07.jpg

MV5BMTg5ODY4NDcxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTU3OTEyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

From+Here+to+Eternity+Poster.jpg

th

king-kong-1933.jpg

Yup, have seen all of them and they are all classics. Would like to have some lesser known recommendation from you. There are lots of talk about Stewart and Spencer in Serious movie discussion thread, but I never hear anything of Burt Lancaster. I really think he is very underated in here.

Never heard of this. Is it worth a watch?
only if you like old screwball comedies, its interesting because its early hitchcock too and he rarely did comedies, i cant think of any other he did. i thought it was fun and charming

only if you like old screwball comedies, its interesting because its early hitchcock too and he rarely did comedies, i cant think of any other he did. i thought it was fun and charming

Will put in on my maybe list. LOL

Back