Paddy Pimblett: Tony Ferguson training with Goggins is "f*cking stupid"

Paddy isn't wrong. Tony's cardio is elite and always has been. The only time I've questioned his mental toughness was against Nate -- where he looked bad even by the standards of his current skid -- but in his next fight against Bobby he looked considerably better in that regard.

Unless there is something in Tony's mental game inside the gym that I'm not privy to, I don't know what him training his two best attributes to an even higher degree does for him at this point of his career. Especially since a lot of those workouts looked rough as hell for a guy his age, with a busted knee, and a fight camp coming up. At best I think you get severely diminished returns or a limited placebo effect, at worst it'll be actively detrimental.

Stylistically this is still Paddy's fight to lose. Unless he tries to stand and strike with Tony for 15 minutes he holds most of the cards IMO.

Last edited:
It's true, but I'd still love to see Cucuy pull one last rabbit outta the hat and grab a W.
I think we'd all love that. What gives me some hope is that, despite his losing streak, it was still mostly against really good opponents. I don't mean to insult Paddy of course, he might become very good someday, who knows. But he's still not there yet (compared to the top of the division obviously, not to my ass on the couch :p)

Tony's biggest problem is the lack of an effective offense these days especially since his speed and athleticism took a dive due to his mileage and the knee surgery. He is still tough but now it is only reflected in his ability to take a beating.

While a lot of posters made fun of Conor training with Ido, in my view it was worthwhile. Conor has been very quick on his feet. His punches and kicks were lighting quick and he had a really good balance. But this is not the case with Tony and Goggins. Cardio and endurance is not something Tony has ever been lacking.

Tony would have been better off finding a coach that can understand his style of fighting and improve it. Unorthodox training is probably the key but, imo, he went in the wrong direction.

man, I never rooted for Tony, but holy shit, Lets Fucking Go Boogy Man

What is Tony going to do without fighting? He cannot work with people as a coach or such.

He can take a low paying physical job that does not require much skill.

Or he might turn to alcohol and stop taking his medication. It had already happened once when he tried to kidnap his son from his wife. He has also recently got into a dui related accident.
I know, it sucks but I am a fan and have been since the earliest part of his UFC career. Seeing a personal hero like Ali fade in his final years, I can't help but think Tony is cut from the same cloth, too tough for his own good and it will break my heart to see him fade away in a similar fashion

I wanna hear him say that straight to Tony’s face, while Goggins is there watching. Hopefully at the pre-fight presser

let's face it, this does seem to be working as a good promo tool to give people hope that Tony's gotta shot - "Mentally improved Tony! He can power through anything now!"

Can't imagine anyone but the most oblivious pseudo-fan thinking Goggins helping will have any tangible effect. It's just a slimy veneer for the casuals

Tony is the same guy who still cut weight for a fight that was cancelled. He doesn’t have a mental problem and Paddy is right, injuries and age caught up to him.

Tony is the same guy who still cut weight for a fight that was cancelled. He doesn’t have a mental problem and Paddy is right, injuries and age caught up to him.

He doesn’t have a mental problem?

Your first sentence literally proves that tony is mentally ill.

Paddy ending Tony's career and Colby winning the belt will end 2023 is the most comically amazing way everm

Just a big name win for Paddy.

Sad to see Tony like this.

Tony just doesn't have the reflexes anymore.

Back