Pereira's striking is just too limited.

I agree. For someone who is a double champ in MMA because of his striking, it is increnidble just how many holes are there. He is getting tagged regularly, sometimes it looks like he doesn’t know what to do when people go forward and just punch him in the face, is very average in “the booth” etc. I would also say that he was losing most of of the fights I have watched him fight. But he finda weird ways to win, mostly because he has power. If his power was down like 30%, I would see him as solid top 20 guy. Leaves a lot to be desired, but he is strong and that is a part of the game….

Context matters and he is definitely not as dominant or good as one would think considering the accolades.
Pereira not that good guys.

Read it here first.

This guy wanting to challenge OP for dumbest post of the day.

Hes the definition of a glass cannon, looks vulnerable at all times, but can end you in an instant. He surprised me with the counter punching tbh, looks like he learned that from Izzy.
You izzy fans are cute

I just don’t see that. He knocks both of them out if they stand with him. Smith has a better chance using takedowns and his ground game, but Walker is f*cked…..

Jesus Christ. A multiple time, multiple weight Glory kickboxing champ and a multiple weight UFC champ as a basically pure striker is an extremely limited striker according to this fucking guy.

laugh-smile.gif
my stepdad Terry could beat up this guy like he beats my mom

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
What? You for real?

A lot of kickboxers really miss those large gloves to block the incoming offense. You can see it in Alex as well, as he backs up in a straight line with his head up. He'll eventually pay for it again. Thing is, if you engage him standing, you risk waking up asking, "What happened?".

Despite being limited defensively due to the small gloves he surely isn't offensively, and for someone with such little experience on the ground, he's done incredibly well in MMA, as he's held belts in two weight classes and has defeated three champions. You really can't complain with the results.

Alex has always had a lower guard even in Kickboxing. It has nothing to do with the gloves.

In an interview he said he likes to fight like that because it's easier to bait his opponents and it's harder for them to see his punches coming.

Dude is a very smart fighter. Everything he does has a purpose.

There's a respected brazilian Muay Thai fighter called Cosmo Alexandre who Alex trained with at some point, and he(Cosmo) said in an interview that Poatan got mad at him because he said the way he throws his kicks is not proper. The thing is, he throws his kick like that to make it harder for his opponents to see it coming and defend against, not because he doesn't know the "right" way to do it. And guess what, it works very well for him.

Last edited:
Pereira not that good guys.

Read it here first.

This guy wanting to challenge OP for dumbest post of the day.

I am okay with that. But I think you deserve the most insecure post of the day. Pereira won tonight but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to talk about holes in his game. Belittling anyone who is willing to do so by merely repeating Pereira's accomplishments makes you sound insecure.

We just witnessed Francis Ngannou losing a close match with the boxing heavyweight champion. If there's a time when merely listing someone's accomplishments is not a good argument, it's probably now.

I am okay with that. But I think you deserve the most insecure post of the day. Pereira won tonight but that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to talk about holes in his game. Belittling anyone who is willing to do so by merely repeating Pereira's accomplishments makes you sound insecure.

We just witnessed Francis Ngannou losing a close match with the boxing heavyweight champion. If there's a time when merely listing someone's accomplishments is not a good argument, it's probably now.
You didn't point out holes in his game. You questioned him as a striker.

Trying to invent stories of others being insecure doesn't make your premise any less ridiculous

You are a literal
<FookIsThatGuy>
and think that techniques, pugilistic strategies, stances/guards that you don't even understand are holes in the game of a guy that just won his fourth belt knocking people out. People aren't repeating his accomplishments out of insecurity, they're point out that historic achievements in combat sports based almost solely on striking ability is probably a clue that a guy knows how to strike and understands the "holes" in his game better than you do. Your argument is that...he gets hit? In a fist fight? The issue with the lower end of the bell curve fans like you is unless a fight looks like Silva vs Griffin, "meh, the guys striking isn't that good."

Jiri is a special one for admitting he was out. His honesty was a breath of fresh air.

On that same boat, I have to be honest and admit that I had Jiri finishing Pereira within two rounds. I thought my prediction was spot on until obviously Pereira knocked him out.

Having admitted that, I still think Pereira is a very limited striker who will have his hands full against not only the elite of the elite but against the likes of Anthony Smith or Johnny Walker. We saw in his last fight against Jan, that his striking threat diminishes significantly when he has to brawl in the phone booth. He was getting tagged in the face and it wasn't until Jan gassed out in the final minute of the second round that he was able to deliver a flurry of shots.

Pereira looking stiff tonight isn't out of character for him. He has to constantly reshuffle every time he throws. I don't know how Jamahal Hill would deal with the leg kicks but if he can take a few, I see him knocking Pereira out brutally in the first round. Let's not even mention the all-rounded sharp strikers like Rakic or Ankalaev. It's going to be a wrestling session and unlike Jan at salt lake city, they can do it all night.

I know people here like to hate Anthony Smith but he has a granite chin and quick enough hands to really tag Pereira in the phone booth. If it's prime Anthony Smith, he finishes Pereira anyway he wants and I mean that.
It’s not his striking that’s limited, it’s his grappling.
In mma, the fighter with the better grappling has the X factor of the takedown which makes the better striker with lesser grappling less likely to open up and strike freely.

Iits limitted but dubbel champ, how its posible.

You are a literal
<FookIsThatGuy>
and think that techniques, pugilistic strategies, stances/guards that you don't even understand are holes in the game of a guy that just won his fourth belt knocking people out. People aren't repeating his accomplishments out of insecurity, they're point out that historic achievements in combat sports based almost solely on striking ability is probably a clue that a guy knows how to strike and understands the "holes" in his game better than you do. Your argument is that...he gets hit? In a fist fight? The issue with the lower end of the bell curve fans like you is unless a fight looks like Silva vs Griffin, "meh, the guys striking isn't that good."

Harsh and valid words. But it takes a real slow one to make them here on this site.

Yes my argument is that he gets hit. And he sure as hell got knocked out spectacularly in his final fight at middleweight.
Problem with people like you is that you know the right words to discredit someone but you don't even know what you are arguing about

I get what you are saying. Pereira is an accomplished fighter who has solely relied on his striking and doesn't need any non-fighter to tell him what his weaknesses are.

What is your point though? You don't have an argument. All attack but no point. If we find out who you are behind that account and you are anything short of a professional fighter, you are nothing but an emotional bluff.

Harsh and valid words. But it takes a real slow one to make them here on this site.

Yes my argument is that he gets hit. And he sure as hell got knocked out spectacularly in his final fight at middleweight.
Problem with people like you is that you know the right words to discredit someone but you don't even know what you are arguing about

I get what you are saying. Pereira is an accomplished fighter who has solely relied on his striking and doesn't need any non-fighter to tell him what his weaknesses are.

What is your point though? You don't have an argument. All attack but no point. If we find out who you are behind that account and you are anything short of a professional fighter, you are nothing but an emotional bluff.

I don't think that you are capable of understanding how embarrassing this topic is for you. Just pretend that you do and let it go.

MW and LHW are weak compared to the past

That being said Walker ain't doing shit to him.

Ankalev beats him... maybe Smith if he survives long enough to get a td
damn man i remember your avatar

from back in the day

here we are still, huh

I don't think that you are capable of understanding how embarrassing this topic is for you. Just pretend that you do and let it go.
No. I am here to express my opinion.

Unlike you and a few others on this thread, I don't go around asking for poster's credentials. Because like I said in a response to Woozyfailguy, the moment we find out that you are not a professional fighter, you become the joke.

Also, this is Sherdog. The moment Pereira gets knocked out again, the same people will say he was never that good.

His biggest weakness is his reaction time, he barely roles with punches and his straight up and down stance leads him to getting hit flush. It also leads to guys rushing in on him and catches them with short shots that scramble there world. It's a double edged sword in he's very predictable and hittable with a very limited strike selection but what he does he does well and every thing has fight ending repercussions.

Back