RECTIFY TV series *MOD EDIT: If you are not watching this show YOU ARE DUMB. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Honestly... I've enjoyed the show but by the end of this season now (on season 4), I just want all of them to shut the fuck up. I think that says something about me and not the show though.

Rectify - Wiki
Rectify is an American television series created by Ray McKinnon in 2012 and is the first original series from Sundance Channel. It stars Aden Young, Adelaide Clemens, Abigail Spencer and Sean Bridgers. The series follows Daniel Holden, who is exonerated for a rape/murder charge after 19 years on Death row and returns to his hometown of Paulie, Georgia, where he must readjust to a new life. Sundance announced the series premiere will debut on April 22, 2013 at 10:00pm et/pt.

Has anyone been watching this? I caught the first two episodes and have really been enjoying it.

I'm guessing the pace may be way too slow for a lot of people, but the cast seems really solid and the writing is very good.

2cijin4.jpg

I started the first few minutes and though it looked good, I switched to Stranger Things. Am just into episode 3 and it's alright.

But now I'm interested in switching back to Rectify. I'm kind of a binger.

Well that was amazing.

One of the best shows I've ever seen

Phew. Fantastic show, great characters, I'm glad it got to end on its own terms so we could see their journey conclude.

Question is, is there anything else like this out there?

I have loved this show since the first episode aired and even though I've started multiple threads about it, I have never actually been able to talk about it. I've never really wanted to. I just want people to see it. Watching it has been deeply personal and intimate and I've never needed to discuss it.

A friend at work asked me to describe it for him, and I told him it was as if sorrow and hope were frozen together in amber.

This was a beautifully crafted story, television at it's finest, I'm glad I experienced it, and will recommend it to anyone who will listen.

so much feels, so much to talk about, but I'll save that for another time.

my girl is such a hater. we're both New Yorkers born & raised, so a while back all I made a comment about Amantha & she spit her venom shitting on her immediately like with zero hesitation. all I said was "she's Southern sexy", & she replies, "she has 24/7 poofy bedhead hair & has Don Cheadle's mouth".

haha now that's all I see when I think of Amantha. wtf man

A friend at work asked me to describe it for him, and I told him it was as if sorrow and hope were frozen together in amber.

I read this in Daniel's voice

I read this in Daniel's voice

I'm a style vampire.

I just watched the entire season and so I absorbed the way he speaks. When I was writing, if I wanted to write like someone, I'd read one of his books.

It's also called being a copycat.

I'm a style vampire.

I just watched the entire season and so I absorbed the way he speaks. When I was writing, if I wanted to write like someone, I'd read one of his books.

It's also called being a copycat.

"Great artists steal."

- Kenny Florian

There May Never Be a Show Like Rectify Again

There has never been a TV drama like Rectify, which ended its run last night, and there may never be another. It is the product of a singular sensibility — that of actor-writer Ray McKinnon, perhaps still best known as the reverend on Deadwood who presides over Will Bill’s funeral — but throughout its run, it was clear that everyone who worked on it, from cast and crew to writers and producers, were on the same page, probably one taken from the New Testament. (The moving finale ended with a shot of an adoptive father and a mother who’d been impregnated by an absentee father contemplating a newborn in a sunlit field: a modified Jesus-in-the-manger image.) In telling the story of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convicted rapist-murderer from small-town Georgia released on a technicality, the show went against nearly every trend that had been established in so-called “quality TV” since the début of The Sopranos.

It was intimate rather than overwhelming, talky and meditative instead of busy and densely packed, drily rather than raucously funny, and more horrified by violence than fascinated with it. Scenes often played out at length, often in close-up, establishing a vibe more reminiscent of a filmed play than a traditional TV series or movie — although Rectify was also, at times improbably, cinematic, conveying subtle shifts in the relationships between Daniel, his family, and his friends through silent close-ups, wide shots that placed the characters in context of architecture or nature, split-screen effects and focus shifts that conveyed barriers that prevented understanding, and glorious bursts of sunlight timed to philosophical insights and affirmations of love and respect. The show’s spine was Daniel’s story, but it also showed how his alleged crimes and their aftermath affected the lives of his sister Amantha (Abigail Spencer), his mother Janet (J. Smith Cameron), her new husband Ted (Bruce McKinnon), Daniel’s stepbrother Teddy Jr. (Clayne Crawford, Jr.), his half-brother Jared (Jake Austin Walker), and Teddy Jr.’s wife Tawney (Adelaide Clemens). Other characters got pulled into the vortex as well, including Jon Stern (Luke Kirby), a lawyer for an Innocence Project–like organization, and the two key figures in Daniel’s prosecution, the now-senator Roland Foulkes (Michael O’Neill) and Sheriff Carl Daggett (J.D. Evermore), who succumbed to his nagging conscience and let the lawyer see files that appeared to exonerate Daniel.

(click link for more)​

There May Never Be a Show Like Rectify Again

There has never been a TV drama like Rectify, which ended its run last night, and there may never be another. It is the product of a singular sensibility — that of actor-writer Ray McKinnon, perhaps still best known as the reverend on Deadwood who presides over Will Bill’s funeral — but throughout its run, it was clear that everyone who worked on it, from cast and crew to writers and producers, were on the same page, probably one taken from the New Testament. (The moving finale ended with a shot of an adoptive father and a mother who’d been impregnated by an absentee father contemplating a newborn in a sunlit field: a modified Jesus-in-the-manger image.) In telling the story of Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a convicted rapist-murderer from small-town Georgia released on a technicality, the show went against nearly every trend that had been established in so-called “quality TV” since the début of The Sopranos.

It was intimate rather than overwhelming, talky and meditative instead of busy and densely packed, drily rather than raucously funny, and more horrified by violence than fascinated with it. Scenes often played out at length, often in close-up, establishing a vibe more reminiscent of a filmed play than a traditional TV series or movie — although Rectify was also, at times improbably, cinematic, conveying subtle shifts in the relationships between Daniel, his family, and his friends through silent close-ups, wide shots that placed the characters in context of architecture or nature, split-screen effects and focus shifts that conveyed barriers that prevented understanding, and glorious bursts of sunlight timed to philosophical insights and affirmations of love and respect. The show’s spine was Daniel’s story, but it also showed how his alleged crimes and their aftermath affected the lives of his sister Amantha (Abigail Spencer), his mother Janet (J. Smith Cameron), her new husband Ted (Bruce McKinnon), Daniel’s stepbrother Teddy Jr. (Clayne Crawford, Jr.), his half-brother Jared (Jake Austin Walker), and Teddy Jr.’s wife Tawney (Adelaide Clemens). Other characters got pulled into the vortex as well, including Jon Stern (Luke Kirby), a lawyer for an Innocence Project–like organization, and the two key figures in Daniel’s prosecution, the now-senator Roland Foulkes (Michael O’Neill) and Sheriff Carl Daggett (J.D. Evermore), who succumbed to his nagging conscience and let the lawyer see files that appeared to exonerate Daniel.

(click link for more)​

Great writeup.

I've described some of my favorite shows as follows:

Oz is mushrooms on a bad trip;

The Shield is cocaine;

The Wire is heroin;

Breaking Bad is angel dust/PCP;

Better Call Saul is a vintage fine wine;

and Rectify is the best cup of tea you've ever had.

just started watching this, 3 eps in to season 1 but I really like it

kindof a slow burn of a show

Just finished season 4 and I'm pretty disappointed in it. I loved the first 3 seasons, but honestly it seems like there was no story left to tell.

The only conflict in the season is Daniel not liking his roommate, and Daniel fighting with his friend about going to therapy, both of which are resolved immediately.

And the last few episodes are painful. Every single character suddenly finds the words to say what they couldn't say for 3 seasons, everyone clears the air and makes peace with everyone else. And we still never find out who the murderer was. It was narrowed down to Chris and Trey but we never find out which one it was, if not both.

Imo the ending was a little anticlimactic. I watched this as it was on tv and I didn't even realize I was watching the last episode.

@Peteyandjia

Get this.

Sundance has another exclusive series.

Doesn't seem all that original.

David Collins fights to rebuild his shattered life, when, after spending seven years in a high-security prison, his conviction for the murder of his wife is overturned.

innocent.jpg

@Peteyandjia

Get this.

Sundance has another exclusive series.

Doesn't seem all that original.

David Collins fights to rebuild his shattered life, when, after spending seven years in a high-security prison, his conviction for the murder of his wife is overturned.

innocent.jpg

It’s like when your local grocery market tries to put out their own way shittier version of Cap’n Crunch or something

Back