Ridiculous stoppage (PFL Europe 1 Doumbe vs Baki Aftermath **MERGED**)

Agreed...in a perfect world. But the one world we have is absolutely not perfect. Thats why sometimes you got to get through unfair shit. That being said we are talking about a 3 millimeters splinter, he was not on the verge to be amputated

He doesn't have to be on the verge of amputation. Both him and his opponent asked the ref to look at his foot and when he was asked to continue he did, then when his opponent asked the ref to look at his foot the ref just ended the fight, you're acting like Doumbe was asked to continue and refused or asked if he could continue and said no, neither of these things happened. Goddard didn't assess the situation, he just made a rash decision.

He doesn't have to be on the verge of amputation. Both him and his opponent asked the ref to look at his foot and when he was asked to continue he did, then when his opponent asked the ref to look at his foot the ref just ended the fight, you're acting like Doumbe was asked to continue and refused or asked if he could continue and said no, neither of these things happened. Goddard didn't assess the situation, he just made a rash decision.
Man let me enjoy the moment !

He’d just taken a 10 minute beating by a 22 year old phenom. Can’t expect him rattle off perfect English.

Doumbe won round 2 and was looking to have the momentum in the 3rd. Neither looked too effective, Baki looked like a guy who got good hitting pads and bags but hasn't many hours sparring and he did surprisingly nothing with his takedowns and showed bad top control vs a kickboxer.

Baki is still super young and talented, no doubt. Doumbes grappling looked way better than expected but he didn't seem comfortable opening up. Weird ass fight.

If Ellenberger getting his foot stuck in the mat/cage and finished there by Masvidal not get overturned, this probably won't.

If there was a flaming spear that flew in from the audience and stuck in his foot -- sure, things might be different.

But some debris reportedly stuck in Duombe's foot -- and him trying to call his own timeout was not helpful to his cause.

If there ended up being nothing visible in his foot then call it off.

It's not that fucking hard.

That shit was visible on camera!
How the he'll was there a foreign object in the cage?!

If there ended up being nothing visible in his foot then call it off.

It's not that fucking hard.

That shit was visible on camera!
How the he'll was there a foreign object in the cage?!

Refs I think are taught to never rewind their decisions. It was super bizarre, the ref didn't even inquire what the issue was, clearly there was a language barrier. Nothing was even happening in the fight when it came up too. Goddard found out Doumbe stepped on a small piece of debris after the fact too, a retroactive ruling would have been nice.

Saddest part was they were 1 round a piece going into the 3rd and momentum felt on Doumbes side. A rematch would be fine but also...ehh.

You know like me that nobody in France would know to say "splinter" to explain the issue, especially in the heat of a fight. Goddard only assumed, he was hurt and the fight was over. When i say quitting, i just mean that he did not tough up and keep fighting after the 1st warning.
Mistake from him imo
How did he not keep fighting? He was in fighting position and was not retreating... just like Baki.
With that reasonning, he could just has well have called it a TKO for Doumbe because Baki stopped fighting AfTER his warning.

I understand that on the moment, Goddard could not know what was going on, but the way he stopped the fight was ridiculous.

Refs I think are taught to never rewind their decisions. It was super bizarre, the ref didn't even inquire what the issue was, clearly there was a language barrier. Nothing was even happening in the fight when it came up too. Goddard found out Doumbe stepped on a small piece of debris after the fact too, a retroactive ruling would have been nice.

Saddest part was they were 1 round a piece going into the 3rd and momentum felt on Doumbes side. A rematch would be fine but also...ehh.

Yeah, I mean just apply some common sense. Sheesh

Idk man. I've had toe injuries from front kicks that had me walking awkward for weeks from sparring and I've barely felt those during the rounds. I've had stuff get caught under my feet too and I find it distracting to a degree that can't really be ignored. I'm sure the adrenaline level is hardly comparable, but I can definitely imagine that this is something that is so difficult to ignore that it takes up a significant portion of ones attention span therefore significantly worsening the ability to actually fight.
Jon Jones finished a fight with his toe almost ripped off. People are built different

Jup, I wouldn’t mind a rematch

Fighters shouldn't have to fight through foregin objects in their bodies, that's on the promotion for not making sure the cage surface was clean. What you were talking about is totally different and if he had sustained an injury in the course of fighting i'm sure he would have continued.

No one should lose by TKO cause they have glass in their foot, that's idiotic.
Everyone here loves to hate refs and disguise the situation. "English isn't Dumbe's first language. They had a translator in there for him." Ignoring the fact that Dumbe has done full english interviews with no translations. Do we know what Dumbe said to him? No we don't. What we do know if Goddard warned him you can't timeout. Whether it's right or not at that point he knew enough that likely if he did that again the fight is over and he did it anyway because clearly he didn't want to fight through it. It is what it is. We can say Goddard should have stopped to have the doctor look at it but the reality is after that warning he should have realized doing that would create this outcome. Same crap when someone gets eye poked that is missed and the ref tells them they didn't see it or they think it's a punch then you just stop fighting.

Jup, I wouldn’t mind a rematch

Good way for fighters to milk the promotion for the same fight. The whole thing was embarrassing to watch, especially Doumbé attempting to speak English. Not the best way to promote himself into the UFC.

Goddard has just become to authoritarian and unpredictable the past couple years. On times can let a fighter go close to seeing death and call it out just before and angel takes his soul and other times he acts like a temperamental toddler and waves off a fight because he doesn't want to assess the situation. He's to blame for this shit.

Sometimes I wonder does the referees think of the public who paid 100€/$ to come see an event before spoiling them out of a fight ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back