Rob Schneider Says ‘Saturday Night Live’ Overt Liberal Politics Hurt Its Comedy

I'm not his biggest fan or always agree with him, but he raises a good point. Liberal comedy used to be more natural, more relaxed, more funny. It's a bit too on the nose these days, sometimes it does seem like thinly veiled propaganda disguised as comedy. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart used to be funny, but his two minions have fairly unwatchable shows now, including his old show.

I never found Stewart funny, but then American humour generally doesn't do it for me, and when it does it's shortlived (in the case of series especially).

Rob Schneider killed comedy. I don't know.

I never found Stewart funny, but then American humour generally doesn't do it for me, and when it does it's shortlived (in the case of series especially).
I can't name any Aussie comedians off the top of my head, so fair enough. :)

I can't name any Aussie comedians off the top of my head, so fair enough. :)

I tend to appreciate British humour more, but then you get Brits like John Oliver who have a very American style of humour (explains his success in the US outstripping any success he had in the UK).
Australian comics seem to change their style when they get international success (Tim Minchin's style became more British, Jim Jeffries more American although Steve Hughes hasn't changed too much).

I tend to appreciate British humour more, but then you get Brits like John Oliver who have a very American style of humour (explains his success in the US outstripping any success he had in the UK).
Australian comics seem to change their style when they get international success (Tim Minchin's style became more British, Jim Jeffries more American although Steve Hughes hasn't changed too much).
I immensely enjoy British satire like Brass Eye. I actually thought Tim was British. Jim Jeffries is a name I've heard of, but never really watched. I think stand up doesn't translate as well, unless the two cultures are quite similar, like Canadian and American or Kiwi and Aussie.

No he was a stapler.

Adam Sandler should have Rob Schneider doing a live version of those commercials before his movies to promote a fake movie.

Well, getting comedy advice from Rob Scheisser is like getting parenting advice from Joseph Frietzl. So i´m sure they are good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103376/?ref_=nv_sr_3

Try to find the "Live in Southhampton" gig.

What do you think war room do you agree with Rob?

“The fun of ‘Saturday Night Live’ was always you never knew which way they leaned politically,” he told the Daily News. “You kind of assumed they would lean more left and liberal, but now the cat’s out of the bag they are completely against Trump, which I think makes it less interesting because you know the direction the piece is going.”

Real Rob, also found Alec Baldwin’s portrayals of President Donald Trump particularly vexing. He compared Baldwin unfavorably with Dana Carvey’s imitations of President H.W. Bush, who Schneider felt skewered with a touch of affection.

“Carvey played it respectfully,” Schneider said. “To me, the genius of Dana Carvey was Dana always had empathy for the people he played, and Alec Baldwin has nothing but a fuming, seething anger toward the person he plays.” Schneider said Baldwin is “hard to watch. Alec Baldwin is a brilliant actor… he’s not a comedian.” He added: “I don’t find his impression to be comical. Because, like I said, I know the way his politics lean and it spoils any surprise. There’s no possible surprise. He so clearly hates the man he’s playing.”

Schneider claims to be politically independent and feels today’s partisan politics is particularly ugly. “Literally, if you don’t go the party line — you’re out. There’s a real ugliness to it,” he said.

Rest of the story here
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rob-schneider-says-saturday-night-192218003.html

Rob is old school he is correct to much politics in commedy ruins it.

Jesus. The last time I watched SNL is when Schneider was a regular.

I watched the episode where Chapelle came back last year or so. It was really awful, not because of Chapelle, but the writing was so bad.

I am not a fan of Will Ferrell for the most part, but when he left it killed SNL for good. Even when he was there, it had lost a few steps... but was still able to get at least one decent sketch per week. Or one every 2 weeks at least. Now there is only like 1-2 sketches per season that are good enough to make the rounds on social media, and even those don't get much more than a slight smile.

That being said, Schneider's career is doing even worse.

I watched the episode where Chapelle came back last year or so. It was really awful, not because of Chapelle, but the writing was so bad.

I am not a fan of Will Ferrell for the most part, but when he left it killed SNL for good. Even when he was there, it had lost a few steps... but was still able to get at least one decent sketch per week. Or one every 2 weeks at least. Now there is only like 1-2 sketches per season that are good enough to make the rounds on social media, and even those don't get much more than a slight smile.

That being said, Schneider's career is doing even worse.

It's been bad for a long time. Schneider is right that impressions usually hit their mark when you have some level of respect for the person you're mocking, as opposed to just hating the person with a passion. Comedy doesn't really work well when it's based in hate, people can pick up on it and it's just not funny. Alex Baldwin's Trump was funny for a few sketches, then it was just offputting, like Trump himself.

Rob is old school he is correct to much politics in commedy ruins it.

Politics and comedy have always gone hand in hand. There's too much material in politics to ignore. In some ways, it's the most absurd aspect of our society.

It's been bad for a long time. Schneider is right that impressions usually hit their mark when you have some level of respect for the person you're mocking, as opposed to just hating the person with a passion. Comedy doesn't really work well when it's based in hate, people can pick up on it and it's just not funny. Alex Baldwin's Trump was funny for a few sketches, then it was just offputting, like Trump himself.

Politics and comedy have always gone hand in hand. There's too much material in politics to ignore. In some ways, it's the most absurd aspect of our society.

Yeah but sometimes political jabs just gets tiring like some of the jokes are being done for the sake of attacking a certain politician even though the joke is boring and lame or have been done to death.

Yeah but sometimes political jabs just gets tiring like some of the jokes are being done for the sake of attacking a certain politician even though the joke is boring and lame or have been done to death.

Bad political humor is the worst.

I agree about having respect about the person you are mocking. The respect helps one better understand the person, and not just spout partisan bullshit. The woman who does the Hillary impression's is good for that reason.

In Baldwin's case, I need to have respect for the person doing the impression. Baldwin is an alcoholic, piece of shit father. He needs to fix his own shit, before trying to make others look like bad people. Fat shaming his 11 year old daughter? Yea, he is a liberal champion guys!

Back