Robert Whittaker Is an absolute Monster

lol So ignore someone's steroid use just because they were on it their whole career. Like that somehow absolves it being an advantage for him against Rockhold or something.

And Bisping would never go 1-1 against Anderson? Well, he's currently 1-0 against him since he beat him two years ago. What the fuck, buddy?

The rest of your arguments are laughable. Whittaker is not a blown up WW, and just because he lost to Thompson and not Jacare or Romero doesn't automatically make them easier fights or easier opponents. It just means he fought better fights against them than he did against Thompson. How can somebody have such a novice outlook about MMA? It's like you've been watching the sport for only a week or something.
I expect such arguments from casuals

not people who've been watching MMA for almost a decade.

It's a little odd

Bro, just stop. You just don't know what you're talking about.
end of story.

I've been a fan since early pride and I'm also a martial artist. I do not fall for "UFC hype"

this is the strongest middleweight has ever been. The game has evolved. Maybe you just lack the fight IQ to to see It.

Take off the rose coloured glasses and open your eyes.
I agree with this. MW has some monsters right now. I think it's pointless to compare eras to eras because of so many differences but we have an awesome MW top 5 or top 10 today.

My fav champ since GSP. Nothing better than a respectable, humble martial artist as champ.

You don't discount them. You take them In the context where they matter.

Bringing up losses from 4 years ago when a fighter Is 23 years old, still green and at a fraction of their full potential as If It holds any relevance to their current skillset Is just ridiculous. Which Is exactly what you tried to do. Based on that, saying "you don't have a clue" would be fairly accurate.

Or rather, maybe you lack the ability for critical thought.

Alright, got it! Only a fighters prime counts towards their career retrospect and we discount other fights because they were green and 23.

As for him being an absolute monster...

thyy.gif

He's a really good fighter, but he's not an absolute monster.
\

For realz.

Because as we all know, a fighter can never be better than he was 4 years ago.

It's one of the Sherdog commandments.

Hes really really good. But I don't think hes unbeatable. Hes not the highest level striker ever, and not near the highest level grappler. Hes not really a master at any one thing(although he has clean crisp boxing)

I could see GSP wrestlefucking him. Could also see a 185lb Wonderboy decision him. You can definitely improve your striking but not to the point of catching up to the skill of WB in only 4 years.

I would love to see Woodley try to move up and get the shit beat out of him by Bobbert.

lol So ignore someone's steroid use just because they were on it their whole career. Like that somehow absolves it being an advantage for him against Rockhold or something.

And Bisping would never go 1-1 against Anderson? Well, he's currently 1-0 against him since he beat him two years ago. What the fuck, buddy?

The rest of your arguments are laughable. Whittaker is not a blown up WW, and just because he lost to Thompson and not Jacare or Romero doesn't automatically make them easier fights or easier opponents. It just means he fought better fights against them than he did against Thompson. How can somebody have such a novice outlook about MMA? It's like you've been watching the sport for only a week or something.
It is easy believe the UFC hype. I am sure that in 2-3 years, most of the top 5 is gone, And you will praise someone new as the greatest top 5 of all time. The younger fans always see it that way.

You know, the only way to see how guys from a different era would match up, is to compare fights, similar opponents And styles. How is your hardcore way of doing it? Listening to Rogan?

I am sure you understand Whittaker was getting nowhere at WW. 2-1 in his last 3 would have taken years to get a titlefight. He might even have been cut with one more loss. At mw he saw the oportunity with all the best guys getting old (Anderson, Vitor, Hendo), And the division was at its weakest in a very long time.

It is easy believe the UFC hype. I am sure that in 2-3 years, most of the top 5 is gone, And you will praise someone new as the greatest top 5 of all time. The younger fans always see it that way.

You know, the only way to see how guys from a different era would match up, is to compare fights, similar opponents And styles. How is your hardcore way of doing it? Listening to Rogan?

I am sure you understand Whittaker was getting nowhere at WW. 2-1 in his last 3 would have taken years to get a titlefight. He might even have been cut with one more loss. At mw he saw the oportunity with all the best guys getting old (Anderson, Vitor, Hendo), And the division was at its weakest in a very long time.
Whittaker was 23 years old, green as hell and even said that most of his camp was spent focused on cutting weight as opposed to Improving his skills. His body is a better fit for middleweight which is why he moved up. He has Improved leaps and bounds since that loss to Wonderboy 4 years ago. If you have the eye, watching his progression through his fights Is fascinating.

What are your thoughts on Yoel Romero? Olympic silver medalist, was one of the best wrestlers on the planet, beat Cael Sanderson twice, brutal flying knee knockout over weidman, brutal knockout over rockhold. overrated?

I think it would be hard to look at Yoel romero objectively and not think this is one of the scariest middleweights we have ever seen in MMA thus far. It has nothing to do with hype.

So It sort of baffles me that you think guys like Chael / Okami would decision him or others In the top 5 7/10 times.

I don't know what your experience level Is, if you have any marital arts training yourself, how long you've actually been watching mma and how Intensely of a fan you've been, but your analysis seems very lazy and quite honestly your logic Is very questionable..

MMA is a baby sport, every division has evolved In It's own way over the years. This is the most well rounded and versatile we've ever seen fighters In every single weight class and It continues to evolve.

Last edited:

take a look at the list of opponents that Anderson fought throughout his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

You really think that the MW division during Anderson's reign was superior to the current MW division?

Whittaker, Yoel, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Brunson, Gastelum, Mousasi ?

I'm an old fan too my friend, but I think you need to take off the rose coloured glasses and see the modern era of MMA for what It is.

It's a little weird I slept on this guy during his early come up. After watching some of his earlier fights, Some of his techniques are just straight up masterful. He's a savage, seems like a special fighter.

Even though he's the champ, I'm almost thinking he's a little underrated at this point. He's fucking ridiculously good. There's a reason why GSP dodged a fight with him.

If you are going to insinuate that gsp faked ass aids to dodge him, might as well add that Bobby faked stomach herpes to dodge Rockhold.

take a look at the list of opponents that Anderson fought throughout his career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

You really think that the MW division during Anderson's reign was superior to the current MW division?

Whittaker, Yoel, Weidman, Rockhold, Jacare, Brunson, Gastelum, Mousasi ?

I'm an old fan too my friend, but I think you need to take off the rose coloured glasses and see the modern era of MMA for what It is.
This is just What is said about GSPs opponents, Fedors opponents And BJs opponents, And the same will be said about Whittakers opponents in 10 years. Suddenly they Are no longer great wins, because the newer fans never heard of them..

Mma hasn’t evolved that much since GSP And Andersons time. That is just a dream. We have even more examples today of great standup fighters with good tdd And limited groundgame in the top 10, And guys like Maia, Jacare, Khabibwith great groundgame And limited standup.

BJ came into mma as one of the best grapplers in the world, with great boxing And tdd. A perfect well rounded fighter. I don’t see todays guys having evolved past that. But marketing has evolved, And it is easy to be persuated.

This is just What is said about GSPs opponents, Fedors opponents And BJs opponents, And the same will be said about Whittakers opponents in 10 years. Suddenly they Are no longer great wins, because the newer fans never heard of them..

Mma hasn’t evolved that much since GSP And Andersons time. That is just a dream. We have even more examples today of great standup fighters with good tdd And limited groundgame in the top 10, And guys like Maia, Jacare, Khabibwith great groundgame And limited standup.

BJ came into mma as one of the best grapplers in the world, with great boxing And tdd. A perfect well rounded fighter. I don’t see todays guys having evolved past that. But marketing has evolved, And it is easy to be persuated.
answer the question to the best of your ability / analysis Instead of speaking generalities

You aren't giving any Indication that you have any sort of technical knowledge to be speaking with such certainty on anything you've said thus far.

If you are going to insinuate that gsp faked ass aids to dodge him, might as well add that Bobby faked stomach herpes to dodge Rockhold.
idk what the reason was and I don't care.

but It's clear he wanted none of that work.

BJ Is a freak and he's a rare exception. A prime BJ would be competitive even In the modern era, possibly even be a champion.

He's also not a middleweight.

I don't think that fighters of old aren't solid fighters, just that MMA is a young sport and the game has evolved quite rapidly over the years and continues to do so.

Anyways, It seems like you're dodging the actual points being made and speaking In circles.

you have some very strong blinders on dude and It seems like you're not actually listening to anything people are saying.. You just keep speaking in circles and rehashing the same points you've already made.

When this thread started I thought that Whittaker was a great fighter, but I'll admit I didn't see anything that special about him. After chatting with a couple guys in here and doing some more research it's clear to me that he is one of the best all around fighters we have in the sport today. Virtually zero weaknesses while excelling at some of the detailed minutiae that some fans may not recognize or find boring to watch. At his relatively young age I expect him to have one of the all time great careers in MMA. Not every sherdogger will agree, but don't worry about the haters @MescalineDreams , you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

When this thread started I thought that Whittaker was a great fighter, but I'll admit I didn't see anything that special about him. After chatting with a couple guys in here and doing some more research it's clear to me that he is one of the best all around fighters we have in the sport today. Virtually zero weaknesses while excelling at some of the detailed minutiae that some fans may not recognize or find boring to watch. At his relatively young age I expect him to have one of the all time great careers in MMA. Not every sherdogger will agree, but don't worry about the haters @MescalineDreams , you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.
true true

Appreciate It bro.

No worries though, I enjoy a good argument.. lol

BJ Is a freak and he's a rare exception. A prime BJ would be competitive even In the modern era, possibly even be a champion.

He's also not a middleweight.

I don't think that fighters of old aren't solid fighters, just that MMA is a young sport and the game has evolved quite rapidly over the years and continues to do so.

Anyways, It seems like you're dodging the actual points being made and speaking In circles.
What points am I dodging? That because Romero looks impressive in the current division, it means that it is a better top 5 than before? Or that Whittaker and Gastelum would be champs at ww too?

I really don't see you making any points at all, except what Rogan and Dana said. Just rants and posting 3 posts at the same time over and over. I am the only one making arguments here, and posting examples of why I believe mw is weaker at the moment.

Seems like you are hung up on the current top guys being the greatest ever, because you like a few of them, and can not look at it objectively. I like Whittaker, Jacare, Luke, Bisping much more than I ever liked Anderson or Vitor or Hendo or Okami or Franklin, but I still don't give them skills they don't have, and neither should you. Think for yourself - Rogan is not objective in anythng he says, you know. He is paid by the UFC.

The top 5 in every division are great fighters and tough fights for anyone, but at the moment mw is weaker than in many years. That is also why the wws move up to challenge, and even have great success. It would not have happened in 2006-2009 when Anderson was at his best. Bisping KOing Anderson during these years is also unrealistic.

Sure, BJ was a special fighter, and would probably be champ today, but so was Anderson, Franklin, Hendo, Vitor. I really don't see the top 5 guys in any division at the moment beating them in their prime.

Last edited:
Hopefully. It was such an anti-climactic way he got the belt, totally nixed his momentum, still feel bad for him for that as he totally deserving of a triumphant championship status and a great win on home soil - but he seems to handle it well. The GSP fight would have been great but alas...

True, the GSP fight would have launched him. Whittaker needs a big spotlight win. He's really, really, really good, but he still needs his 'big' moment.

Back