International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V12

Status
Not open for further replies.
They werent attacked because they had already negotiated their withdrawal and left their Afghan allies high and dry. The withdrawal negotiations were ongoing in Doha. They were forced to negotiate because of what was happening politically and on the battlefield. You decided to be there in 2001 and after like 20 years struggle threw in the towel and left in disgrace.
We decided to stop wasting money on a silly occupation. You can stop trying to twist it now

Indeed. The US should have not invaded Iraq.

Choosing their spots and doing what after that? They still have not penetrated or destroyed Russian defensive positions, and they won't.
Ships and bridges in Crimea. Going after the Russian Navy? How is that going to win Ukraine this conflict? A waste of time and resources really. Ukraine needs to break those Russian fortified positions to the East and South, if they want to move the Russian Army back to their border. ...or they could assume a defensive position themselves and hold what is left of Ukraine to the West. Ukraine has chosen to go on the offensive. Big mistake! It will lose its Army in a year and hand the rest of the country over to Russia without a fight. Ukraine is not getting new recruits. All it is getting is soldiers back from training in Europe which they have now decided was a big waste of time. Yeah, Americans, British, and Germans have no idea of how to fight a war.

Again something about you makes no sense. How as a 20 year US veteran and as someone in charge of logistics can you say that with a straight face?

You have no idea what destroying ships, bridges, etc is accomplishing? Really? Jfc...

Covered this issue already remember? I guess not. Short memory or selective memory. No one does the same thing for 20 years in the Army mate. Same for the Navy and Air Force. But you would not know that now, would you?
Never in logistics. 3 years in Operations and Training, S-3. ;) Do you know anything about the rank structure and their responsibilities? How things change as you move up? Duty assignments in a 20-year period? This is where the Russian Army is failing badly.

I just hope someone has enough patience to sift through your posts and paste the one where you specifically mentioned handling logistics.

It's fine, I fully expect you to minimize your role in logistics now that it's inconvenient. But you don't even need to serve in the military to understand what starving out the enemy accomplishes. Surely a guy who loves mentioning unrelated historical wars and battles can find at least a couple siege battles to understand how attacking Russian logistics helps the overall Ukrainian mission.

It’s a pretty common misconception that the Afghan war directly led to the fall of the Soviet Union.

Here’s a really good podcast on the parallels and differences between the two wars if you’re interested. He also has other good insights to the current war.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/in-moscows-shadows/id1510124746?i=1000622392006

@Vergilius you may also be interested in this series

Thanks! I'm always looking for new podcasts on history, so will definitely check this out.

They definitely kicked you out. You and your allies fled clunging to your airplanes and you left a bunch of your equipment behind too. Not Going full Roman Empire is not out of some good will but self preservation. The other powers seeing that stuff in their part of the world are going to respond in same way to you and any states under your sphere. Its out of self preservation. That is an abyss most powers are scared of looking into. Even Mao knew this when he called the US bluff of nuclear attack on China. Regardless, the US war on terror has led to 4.5 million deaths around the world. Its about as roman empire you can realistically go in 21st century without commiting political suicide.
https://www.npr.org/2020/11/17/9359...-troops-out-of-iraq-and-afghanistan-by-spring
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...hdrawal-from-afghanistan-after-election-loss/
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/januar...mediately-knowing-he-lost-election-testimony/

Seriously? Are you making shit up ?Trump pulled us out because he was being a cry baby asshole.

Again something about you makes no sense. How as a 20 year US veteran and as someone in charge of logistics can you say that with a straight face?
Mate for the third time, Logistics and Supply are an S-4 function at Battalion level. Beans and bullets.
Operations and Training are an S-3 function at Battalion level. Training of soldiers and planning missions. I did this for 3 years. There is no school for it. On the job training (OJT). You train as an assistant and eventually become the primary officer.
I was never a logistics guy. You would not do either function for 20 years of your career in the US military.
If you don't understand, that is okay. You were never in the military or in it long enough. If it makes no sense to you, I really don't care.
Think what you want. Believe what you want. I don't care. I was also in the military with two MOSs over my career.

Surely a guy who loves mentioning unrelated historical wars and battles can find at least a couple siege battles to understand how attacking Russian logistics helps the overall Ukrainian mission.
It is not unrelated historical events. It is a lessons learned process. The US Infantry has not changed its mission since WWI. The US Artillery has not changed its mission since WWI. Related wars that I mentioned: WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq all had lessons to be learned. Strategy and Tactics have not changed all that much. Not even since the American Civil War. Civil War battles were still being studied at the US Army Infantry school at Ft. Benning, GA, in 1992 when I was there. The weapons have changed a lot. Helicopters, drones, guided munitions tanks, artillery, etc. It all revolves around soldiers on the ground. At least for the U.S. Army. Don't know much about the US Navy or the US Air Force. I was a soldier. Was I a descent soldier? My peers, NCOs and evaluations said I was a decent leader. That is all I can ask for. Did I make mistakes? Yes. Did we all make mistakes? Yes. Yes, attacking Russian logistics position is a good thing. The bigger problem for Ukraine is that its Army is shrinking by the month. There will come a point when they reach 50% and will be combat ineffective. That point in time is not too far away. Ukrainians will lose more in an offensive attack than they would in a defensive stance. They are taking some big chances on this offensive against Russian fortified positions. Lessons have not been learned and unfortunately will be repeat again. Ukraine will not regain territory lost to Russia. Don't agree with my opinion, that is quite all right. That is why we are here talking about this conflict.

Last edited:
every general worth a shit to ever lead an army: Logistics is the most important aspect of any war.
Karate forum dorks (with 20 years military "experience"): Ukraine is just wasting time and resources attacking russian logistics.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Let's keep this topic generally centered on the Russia/Ukraine war please. There's plenty of space in the War Room to discuss other conflicts.

Timestamped.

Talks about the mutilation and murder that the Russian soldiers did to civilians, then went in and raped the women and daughters after they slaughtered the civilian men.

Dude... they're basically countrymen... Why?

Same horrible war crime stories... Repeated almost infinite times through thousands and thousands of years

Dude... they're basically countrymen... Why?

Same horrible war crime stories... Repeated almost infinite times through thousands and thousands of years
truly gut-wrenching...hard to find the right words that describe it. The sexual violence that accompanies war is rarely covered in the movies or even history books. Not uncommon for men to be victims as well. Been said many times, but people really are the worst.

Can anyone provide an unbiased summary of this war so far? Much appreciated.

russian guns go boom
ukraine guns go boom
people ded
many things broken

Boom, boom, boom, boom!
I want you in my room
Let's spend the night together
From now until forever
Boom, boom, boom, boom!
I wanna go boom boom
Let's spend the night together
Together in my room