Sad that UFC fans are becoming WWE fans

well you should fight in the ufc or maybe you should get a job coaching fighters
you seem very knowledgable about fighting lmao

It’s too late for me…

I was a WWE fan first.

Same.

I feel like a lot of the UFC blowing up in the 00s came from all those ex-WWE fans from the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression era getting older and looking for something new. The whole "its like pro wrestling but real" selling point. Dudes fighting in a "cage", big characters like Tito, PPVs being named shit like "Payback" and "Vendetta" etc etc and then literally Brock coming over.

Same.

I feel like a lot of the UFC blowing up in the 00s came from all those ex-WWE fans from the Attitude and Ruthless Aggression era getting older and looking for something new. The whole "its like pro wrestling but real" selling point. Dudes fighting in a "cage", big characters like Tito, PPVs being named shit like "Payback" and "Vendetta" etc etc and then literally Brock coming over.

Not only that, but the way they produced old Pride and K-1 shows in Japan was very similar to NJPW Wrestling shows, from press conferences, to video packages, to walkouts…

Even Pancrase’s “Shootfighting” style and rule-set was basically pro wrestling, without the predetermined winner (wrestling shoot).

Those types of fans have always existed, there are just more of them since the UFCs popularity keeps growing.

It definitely does seem to have an effect on how the UFC markets fighters though, guys who shit talk tend to get special treatment, especially if they also have a social media presence.

I get it from a marketing stand point but do wish it could just be the best/most talented fighters get pushed and promoted.

I didn't even watch the PPV. Now, before you go off calling me out, I did watch 8 hours of MMA on NYE, so I still have an interest in fighting (@Bobby Boulders + 8 others can claim a fan-reprieve based upon that night).

MMA, or cage-fighting, has definitely changed in the decades I have been watching, with the same kind of fans who, as others have mentioned, lusted over PRIDE still part of the fighting, only they're literally under the same umbrella these days. But action fighters have always gotten love, and rounds have always been stolen by 20-30 seconds of moving forward. Is normal.

I, however, do believe things have gotten stale -- the UFC reached their ultimate goal: the promotion is before the fighters, and it doesn't even matter that they can't get the marquee match-ups to happen. I mean, I'm not saying there aren't good fights upcoming, but look at the headliners outside of Volk-Topuria. Sadly, depending on your view, '23 was a better year for boxing in terms of entertainment and big fights.

New era = UFC with political agenda (like, do we really need more outlets infused with politics?), Dana with his same old script, big fights left on the table, and one big fight every month or so.

OK, we all know UFC value much more a sloppy showman than a skilled "boring" guy.

From a sport perspective, Since when being "exciting" and " throwing heat" win figths ?
Its the same to give a soccer team who made most beautiful driblles the win over the one that score more goals.

I'm ok if you think DDP won (even through I dont agree)

But I'm really disappointed to see that a lot of people are picking dricus to win because of Sean's lack of "bloodlust" , or cause he was throwing only jabs.
Jabs aren't strikes ? Did you already got hitted by a square jab in your face?

I know UFC are going further and further away from being a "sport" and becoming a "show", but as a fan of combat sports I think its really sad people judging figths picking the most exciting man to win just because of that aspect.

Marching foward throwing explosive movements aren't always the most smart and skilled thing to do, aggression means nothing if you are punching the air and the guard

I'm gonna say again, I dont mind if you think DDP won, but I dont think saying Sean is boring fighter is a plausible justification.
i'm gonna watch it again and try hard as possible not being biased
Immediate damage trumps all in scoring, including collective damage . That's not a WWE rule, it's a very valid MMA rule that has existed for 7-8 years. In terms of damage, a jab isn't exactly high on the list.

Even though I thought Strickland won, I could see why some would make the jab argument without needing to resort to "you're a WWE fan" crying.

Not sure if you'd care but if you go to youtube you can see reaction vids from Mighty Mouse, Volk, DC, Izzy, Suga Sean, and Bisping to see why they think DDP won. I get why you wouldn't care about a Sherdogger's opinion but surely those guys know a thing or two.

Sandhagen has been breaking down a lot of fights lately, too. He did a brief breakdown of this one and he also scored it for dricus.

OK, we all know UFC value much more a sloppy showman than a skilled "boring" guy.

From a sport perspective, Since when being "exciting" and " throwing heat" win figths ?
Its the same to give a soccer team who made most beautiful driblles the win over the one that score more goals.

I'm ok if you think DDP won (even through I dont agree)

But I'm really disappointed to see that a lot of people are picking dricus to win because of Sean's lack of "bloodlust" , or cause he was throwing only jabs.
Jabs aren't strikes ? Did you already got hitted by a square jab in your face?

I know UFC are going further and further away from being a "sport" and becoming a "show", but as a fan of combat sports I think its really sad people judging figths picking the most exciting man to win just because of that aspect.

Marching foward throwing explosive movements aren't always the most smart and skilled thing to do, aggression means nothing if you are punching the air and the guard

I'm gonna say again, I dont mind if you think DDP won, but I dont think saying Sean is boring fighter is a plausible justification.
i'm gonna watch it again and try hard as possible not being biased
I picked DDP to win because I thought he might just knock Sean out but I thiugh Sean win the fight (quite easily).

WWE fans are migrating to MMA, as wrestling is fake, and they are no longer children

a lot of these people hating sean strickland are triggered liberals.

they are grasping at straws to avoid realizing the failures of their world view.
Im South African and very proud of Dricus, coach Morne and team CIT, legendary effort from EFC to KSW to UFC staying the same team.

They've done very well for SA sport and growing a new chance for many disadvantaged kids to reach new heights.

I am sorry Sean lost, but I think she'll be fine.

Sorry that's all I wanted to say. Thanks.

Back