Sean O'Malley Believes He’ll Get to a Point Where He’s 'Bigger Than the Belt'

Deluded... UFC has been pushing him for a while now and a journeyman got a bigger pop.. No Charisma/No Mic skills he is trying to stand out by looking like a clown.

UFC will point to numbers if this card draws well but the reality is that it was a stacked card and that fight in terms of interest was in the middle of the pack.

It's not a crazy thing to say, I think even guys like Dustin, Max, Gaethje, Nate are all bigger than the belt, because they are literally fighting for a made up belt just for them, and you can make a main event with any of these guys and have champs fight as their co-main. The only issue for O'Malley is that he might not have the dance partners at 135.

Deluded... UFC has been pushing him for a while now and a journeyman got a bigger pop.. No Charisma/No Mic skills he is trying to stand out by looking like a clown.

UFC will point to numbers if this card draws well but the reality is that it was a stacked card and that fight in terms of interest was in the middle of the pack.

A journeyman got a bigger pop because of how much they hate him.

Marcos Maidana got a bigger pop than Mayweather and it was because of Mayweather.

Chito got a pop because it was O’Malley.

It's not a crazy thing to say, I think even guys like Dustin, Max, Gaethje, Nate are all bigger than the belt, because they are literally fighting for a made up belt just for them, and you can make a main event with any of these guys and have champs fight as their co-main. The only issue for O'Malley is that he might not have the dance partners at 135.

You left out the only man that has fought in multiple main events at PPVs without a belt.

McGregor. The man who is obviously bigger than the belt, as champions call him out.

You left out the only man that has fought in multiple main events at PPVs without a belt.

McGregor. The man who is obviously bigger than the belt, as champions call him out.
I left him out on purpose, because my point was that you don't need to be McGregor to be bigger than the belt, if I had said 'Conor', then people would just say 'well O'Malley will never be that big'

Not many can reach that status. Nate Diaz did. He never won a belt but was certainly bigger than the belt. Not sure O'Malley will have that appeal. He's on his way. All superstars need their haters and Sean has those, lol.

Conor, Nate, and Jorge come to mind.

Sean does indeed have the polarizing personality and business sense...but I think the challenge for him is that he probably still needs a couple more wins to really enter that sphere of popularity, drawing power, etc. and he is also doing so at a lower weight class where traditionally no one has been able to break though. DJ had the skills and title defenses...he couldn't do it. Cejudo had the accolades and a unique personality...he couldn't do it either.

There is a path to getting there, IMHO. Sean has to get by Merab, at least...but perhaps even needs another defense (or impress, win or lose, in fight with Ilia...another brutally tough task) in order to be at the point where holding a title is no longer tied to his success. I hope he can do it...I think he is a breath of fresh air for the sport and who doesn't enjoy his fights?

He has no charisma and terrible on the mic. So cringy watching him at the presser. If he didn't look like a douche, no one would mention him. I take nothing away from his skills tho, he's a very good fighter.

Fight against Merab and Sandhagen and we'll see if your skill comes close to matching your ego afterwards...

He murder KO'd Aljo and just beat the absolute shit out of Chito for 5 rounds with complete impunity.

Whatever you think of O'Malley, we are past the point of determining if he's skilled.

Styles make fights, Merab and Sandhagen will both be fun. In a competitive division with roster depth there shouldn't be a single guy that can beat literally every other ranked opponent on every night. Merab is world class, Sean is world class.

Personally I like what Sean is saying - these guys get paid peanuts and the UFC is keeping 86% of the money as promoter. They should all be trying to build their own brand and get some of that money back.

attachment-031024-Suga-Sean-UFC-299-Trump-.jpg

There was one thing missing from Sean O'Malley’s lopsided victory over Marlon Vera in the UFC 299 main event.

“Something about not getting the finish doesn’t sit right with me,” O’Malley said at Saturday’s post-fight press conference. “It was just like, ‘f—k.’ But I also haven’t watched it. Once I watch it back, I think I’ll get a little bit more excited. I aways want to get that finish.”

To be fair, nobody has finished Vera in 33 professional fights. Still, there was plenty to like about O’Malley’s performance outside of that, as he avenged a previous loss to “Chito” with a striking masterclass over 25 dominant minutes.

“I knew I was better than this guy for three and a half years,” O’Malley said. “I knew the first fight was a fluke. I proved that, and it felt good.”

At the conclusion of the event, UFC CEO Dana White praised O’Malley, calling the Arizona native the biggest star in bantamweight history. Meanwhile, O’Malley himself was impressed with the energy inside the Kaseya Center in Miami on Saturday night, with dueling fan bases going head-to-head during the main event — and even during the pre-fight press conference.

“It’s incredible. So weird to be me right now,” he said. “Being able to stand there and listen to that and perform for the people. If it wasn’t for the fans, if it wasn’t for the media to cover this sport, I wouldn’t be in this position. It’s really, really cool.”

As for his own star power, O’Malley is confident he’s on the right track.

“I think I’m creeping up there. I’m getting up there,” he said. “At the end of the day, the UFC doesn’t need anyone. They’re gonna find stars, they’re gonna put on crazy fights regardless. But I think I’m working my way up to one of the biggest names in the sport.”

O’Malley hasn’t been shy about his desire to face recently-crowned featherweight champion Ilia Topuria. That doesn’t mean he’ll reject a title defense at 135 pounds against top contender Merab Dvalishvili, however. It just means he’s on the hunt for the biggest fight possible.

“Moving up to [featherweight], that’s champ vs. champ automatically is huge,” he said. “He [Topuria] just knocked out Alexander Volkanovski, that’s massive. It’s just an exciting fight. I’m here for massive fights. That’s what I want to be a part of. If that’s it, sweet. If Merab’s it, sweet. I like having options.”

O’Malley can already see a day when fighting for a belt is secondary. That’s what true stardom can do in this sport.

“We’ll go with the flow. If it happens, I feel like I could move up to [145],” he said. “I’m gonna get to a point to where I don’t even need the belt, I’m bigger than the belt. I’m the main event at 140, 142.5 just for f—ing fun. I’m getting to that point.

Didnt like O'Malley before Saturday, Don't like him after Saturday, Never will like him.

Hope Merab destroys him.

A journeyman got a bigger pop because of how much they hate him.

Marcos Maidana got a bigger pop than Mayweather and it was because of Mayweather.

Chito got a pop because it was O’Malley.

You are proving my point.. Has tried to make him a star but people dislike him.. Mayweather was just a couple if years from being charged with DV and had a bad rep.. Conor would walkout to a huge pop from fans regardless of who he was fighting.

Bottom line as many others have said.. Sean does not have the Charisma to become a mega star.

Merab won't achieve a level of stardom which "transcends" the belt/sport yet he's a lot more entertaining in front of a camera & microphone than Sean is. Same goes for many other guys in other weight classes. Whether he likes it or not I think Sean will be remembered for his skill & performances in the cage rather than his mainstream celebrity.

Last edited:
DDP just captured the belt via a split decision and he's already bigger than the UFC

Back