Self driving Uber car kills human.

even with such a limitation, the amount of road deaths would be dramatically reduced and the only ones dying would be the 'retards', so not a bad trade off.

Not sure if that matters. I think autonomous cars are going to have to be aircraft safe, not just better then drivers.

The average person probably is not very accurate at all

That doesn't really matter. They just need to be more accurate than AI, and you are going to have an increase in certain kinds of accidents, and it will be a vulnerability to the viability of autonomous vehicles.

It's not good as the news will pick up on this (as will apparently this forum).

I'd be interested to know the number of deaths per kilometers driven autonomously v deaths per kilometers driven traditionally. One incident is an outlier and a lot more data would be needed but this would be the way to figure out if this is a big problem or not.

Genuine question. Why are you so keen for robots to replace humans for jobs like this? If you are, that is.

Genuine question. Why are you so keen for robots to replace humans for jobs like this? If you are, that is.

I didn't mean to infer I am, and I have made an earlier thread where I think this is a genuine problem to our way of life - you can find that here. I do believe that in a capitalist society it is inevitable that the lowest marginal cost of supplying a good or service will be the one that is successful, at least when that good or service is a commodity (within an economics definition).

What my post is questioning is: Are these cars safer than humans driving them or not?

When they built these, I'm sure they never expected something like this to happen

{<huh}

I'm struggling to correlate the first part of this post with the last.

You seem to be suggesting in the fist part that accidents with self driving cars are inevitable (I agree). But then you seem to say they should be kept away from humans (robot highways) for that reason (?).

Then you acknowledge that human driven cars will also have accident but don't seem to think they should be kept away from anywhere with people.

In the end is not what solely should matter what causes the least deaths whether it is human or robot driven cars?

Robot cars are already safer than human drivers almost across the board in any driving task.

The problem isn't that robot cars or human cars are dangerous. The problem is our infrastructure design is already dangerous.

Human or robot drivers aren't going to be able to be plugged into this system and cause 0 pedestrian casualties without a major redesign.

Planes have autopilot already, but how many of you would feel comfortable being a passenger under a completely autonomous aircraft?

If self-driving vehicles kill enough people we won't have as large an unemployment problem when self-driving vehicles put millions out of work. So there is an upside.

Its unavoidable and only a matter of time before we have no need for professional drivers. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers, we just won't need them anymore. Think about it just from the truck driving companies. Real truck drivers are required by law to keep a log that details their sleep. They can only drive so many hours before they have to pull over and sleep, and they have to log it. With autonomous trucks you can be delivering freight 24 hours a day. They aren't going to pass that up.

I was actually wondering what bicycle rules are on the road like crosswalks.

Bicycle riders can get into trouble when they ride bikes as pedestrians. Most people are surprised to learn that once your feet leave the ground and push those pedals, cyclists have the same rules, rights and responsibilities as people driving cars. The California Vehicle Code views bicycles not as vehicles, but devices, and cyclists as drivers. Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle. This means when you ride your bike, you are considered a driver of a device.

Hmmm. Okay. So what does this mean about riding in the crosswalk? Well, it means that you give up your rights as a pedestrian when you ride a bike in the crosswalk. When you pedal your bike across a crosswalk you do not have the right-of-way. That's just how the law is.

https://patch.com/california/alameda/bp--is-the-crosswalk-a-safe-way-for-a-bicycle-rider-t110edb3937

Actually I am not sure the person was on a bike. the video in the link said it was a person on a bike.

https://www.abc15.com/news/arizona-...-driving-uber-car-involved-in-crash-overnight

Actually it was a bike. It shows it in the video.

On a separate note, no biker knows this. I always see bikers fly through the stop signs and lights. Jesus christ... learn the rules.

Planes have autopilot already, but how many of you would feel comfortable being a passenger under a completely autonomous aircraft?

I would perceive, correctly or not, that a traffic accident has a better survivability rate than a plane crash.

Something for futurologists to mull over: Is it possible that vehicles within a particular city limits must be autonomous only which means it is almost impossible to have an accident because they all communicate with one another. Further congestion would be massively reduced as the cars would all be in sync with one another and would map out the best possible routes to go. Traffic lights would be unnecessary and you would never be stuck at a red more than what it is necessary. Finally, car chases would be a thing of the past, just like when we look at a wild west film where they do a horse chase.

I say this is possible once all of us are dead. We like driving too much. But it sure makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Obviously they are going to be better cameras, but at the end of the day it's still going to be small cameras and those can get mud and water etc on them

They have a pretty huge bank of equipment mounted on them, its a bit more than some "small cameras."

1521478500679.jpg

On a separate note, no biker knows this. I always see bikers fly through the stop signs and lights. Jesus christ... learn the rules.

People always take offense to this but cyclists annoy the shit out of me. Roads are designed for fast moving heavy machinery. I tell my kids not to ride their bike in the road because its dangerous but cyclists will get out on a street in a 45mph zone and insist its their right to slow down traffic so they can ride their bicycle. Meanwhile 4,000 pound vehicles are whizzing by them at 40 or 50 mph.

Well, let's have the investigation completed first, before going all 'me too' on this shit.

This was bound to happen though, I mean, humans driving cars have hit and killed people for a hundred odd years. Any of you bitches driven in China before? I'll gladly take a fucking beta testing AI driver, any day.

Well, let's have the investigation completed first, before going all 'me too' on this shit.

This was bound to happen though, I mean, humans driving cars have hit and killed people for a hundred odd years. Any of you bitches driven in China before? I'll gladly take a fucking beta testing AI driver, any day.

Driving is the most dangerous daily routine that people engage in but we don't like to think of it that way. The numbers are mind blowing.

Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14. Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world's roads, on average over 1,000 a day.

Even if you just look at U.S. statistics, and depending on the year you choose, 40,000-60,000 people die in car crashes per year. That's a small city dead, every year, just in the U.S. alone but yea, get up in arms about 1 death caused by an Uber car.

They have a pretty huge bank of equipment mounted on them, its a bit more than some "small cameras."

1521478500679.jpg
Getting rain, snow, mud on the lens is still an issue they will need to solve no matter how big the lenses are.

It's funny to me how everyone flips out about this. Had it of been a person that ran down another, no one cares. Hell 50 people could get run down in a week by other people and no one would care. I still trust these cars way more than your average person that is distracted by their phone, massive center screen, passengers, etc. These ubers are everywhere in Pittsburgh, I'm not worried at all.

Back