Self driving Uber car kills human.

Robot cars are already safer than human drivers almost across the board in any driving task.

The problem isn't that robot cars or human cars are dangerous. The problem is our infrastructure design is already dangerous.

Human or robot drivers aren't going to be able to be plugged into this system and cause 0 pedestrian casualties without a major redesign.
I don't disagree but I think it is a mistake to talk about 0 pedestrian casualties and robot cars in the same breath.

You only hear that said when robot cars are brought up as if that should be the goal and it should not be. Not yet anyway.

What you never hear whenever a new model vehicle that is not robot is launched (A new Ford truck) is this talk around zero deaths. It is never even mentioned.

So in my opinion the zero death goal is admirable but a mistake as it is likely unachievable for a long time, as you say until the infrastructure is all completely changed, and therefore the goal should be simply improved safety for everyone, and if robot cars are better and less accident prone and safer than normal drivers then bring them on.

Getting rain, snow, mud on the lens is still an issue they will need to solve no matter how big the lenses are.

Routine maintenance at the end of the day takes care of that, not to mention its going to take more than a little rain or bad weather to overcome the cars systems. The car could also be programmed to not function if it detects blocked cameras, there are any number of ways to get around that. I don't even see that as a problem. These cars are going to be using more and more advanced systems. Some of them already use Dragonfly and Firefly systems which incorporate lasers into the system. Check this out.

autovehicle_layout.jpg

In other words, it has a shit load of scanners and cameras and incorporates LIDAR (Light detection and Ranging) as well.

Humans still have to be aware of their surrandings even a robot can't fix stupid

She wasn't in the crosswalk. So, she was jaywalking and got struck by a car?

I have sympathy for her, I guess - but how fast was the car going? Did she not look both ways before jaywalking?
Lol @ Jaywalking police

Planes have autopilot already, but how many of you would feel comfortable being a passenger under a completely autonomous aircraft?
I would prefer it most times actually. Right now I think the best autopilots do everything but takeoff and that is mainly because they want the live pilot to taxi to the runway through the traffic. But they can fly the entire route and land.

Most accidents over the decades are pilot error so getting rid of that is huge.

On a separate note, no biker knows this. I always see bikers fly through the stop signs and lights. Jesus christ... learn the rules.
Honestly its not about learning the rules.

I drive cars and have done so since I was 16 and know there are a ton of rules car drivers choose to break at any given time. I've never met anyone who doesn't go over the speed limit from time to time to name an easy one. You accept there may be some consequences for not obeying the letter of the law and you are ok with that.

I also bike a ton, having a place downtown Toronto and the same applies. You will choose to break rule at any given time and understand there may be some consequences if you get caught.

I laugh when a sanctimonious person driving a car will wind down the window to yell at a cyclists 'that was a stop sign asshole' or something like that as they then speed off.

the problem is that most road laws are made solely for cars and just lazily applied to cyclists when they should not be. When I am riding my bike down a quiet side street to avoid the main road and its broken up with Stop signs every 20 feet to try and make sure cars don't fly down these residential streets there is no reason a bike should have to stop at every sign if there is full visibility at every stop. The stop sign should be a Yield for a cyclist as you approach much slower, can see the entire intersection and stopping adds nothing to the safety of the situation. But forcing a cyclist to stop and start and stop and start is very impractical and can triple the work you are doing on a ride as it limits coasting. If you are out solely for exercise you might not mind that but if you are just trying to get from A to B you likely will.

Last edited:
my understanding is bikes are the hardest thing for these cars to comprehends
Pretty much bikes are the hardest thing for anyone walking or driving to understand. They fly up on to the sidewalk if the road is crowded or stalled, run red lights, head the wrong way down the street. Absolutely no rules apply in the cyclists mind. The electric bike and pack mentality only make it worse.

Good for the car, I've had urges to run down those damn jaywalkers/bikers for years.

It's not bad news at all for them. A single death won't stand in the way of Uber and the 'powers that be' making money from this self driving craze.

Precisely. The potential to install advanced AI has too much profit on its horizon to halt its inevitable implementation into everything. Corporations love it.

Pretty much bikes are the hardest thing for anyone walking or driving to understand. They fly up on to the sidewalk if the road is crowded or stalled, run red lights, head the wrong way down the street. Absolutely no rules apply in the cyclists mind. The electric bike and pack mentality only make it worse.

The woman in this case was walking her bike across the street, though I do understand your irritation with bicyclists as a general stereotype.

It's funny to me how everyone flips out about this. Had it of been a person that ran down another, no one cares. Hell 50 people could get run down in a week by other people and no one would care. I still trust these cars way more than your average person that is distracted by their phone, massive center screen, passengers, etc. These ubers are everywhere in Pittsburgh, I'm not worried at all.

Humans killing humans is normal.

Robots killing humans is some next level shit.

My brother in-law has killed a cyclist, I have hit about 10 of them and some of the accidents have been brutal. It's tragic anytime a life is lost, but the cyclist should have been more cautious IMO.

Every accident I have had with a cyclist has been their fault, and the cyclist not following street signs or traffic law. The cyclists ignore traffic signals and signs because the police will not ticket them, however they are don't realize they are sharing the road with vehicles weighing tons and traveling at high rates of speed.

My brother in-law has killed a cyclist, I have hit about 10 of them and some of the accidents have been brutal. It's tragic anytime a life is lost, but the cyclist should have been more cautious IMO.

Every accident I have had with a cyclist has been their fault, and the cyclist not following street signs or traffic law. The cyclists ignore traffic signals and signs because the police will not ticket them, however they are don't realize they are sharing the road with vehicles weighing tons and traveling at high rates of speed.
not even possible.

if you have hit 10 cyclists then you are like my mom as a driver who drives painfully slow and bad and never sees the wake of issues she leaves behind her as other cars have to try and deal with her and get around her on the roads. She is a horrible driver who thinks everyone else is bad as she does not see the accidents she causes behind her.

not even possible.

if you have hit 10 cyclists then you are like my mom as a driver who drives painfully slow and bad and never sees the wake of issues she leaves behind her as other cars have to try and deal with her and get around her on the roads. She is a horrible driver who thinks everyone else is bad as she does not see the accidents she causes behind her.

You could be right. The police haven't agreed with you, and unlike the cyclists who have spent significant time in the hospital I never get a scratch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back