Sharing a man moment with your dad

My dad and I will drink at family functions. Is that any better than smoking weed together? I mean, i wouldn’t like it if he and I were both high together just because we’d makes me paranoid. But is the act of doing an even more toxic and dangerous drug together really any better than smoking weed together?

I drink with my dad every few weeks whenever I go back home. I've picked up chicks, gotten drunk and gotten in trouble with him. We've also traveled, camped, gone fishing and hunting plenty of times.
Last year we hiked the Grand Teton in WY.

Good times.

Seeing my dad backtalk a cop and the cop beating the hell out of him with his flashlight. Those D cell battery flashlights. We laugh about it now cause it’s just so amusing.
You guys have a pretty odd sense of humor but I'm glad you can laugh about it now.

Had a lot of good times with my dad in my 20's. He will always be the teacher first, but that's when he started respecting me more like a friend. One particular time that will always stand out is when we took a road trip from california to utah for my cousins funeral. Of course we had to stop in some rundown town in nevada and he showed me his favorite dive bar/brothels/strip joints. Nothing like knocking back some brewskis with you're old man while watchin some titties.

sadly, i've never had a moment like that with my dad, mainly because my dad doesn't drink or smoke. have never even had a drink with him at a bar. but we've had different moments, that while aren't anything close to what you experienced, are still good moments for me. my dad and i don't share many things in common, so that's part of the hang-up.

I wouldn't say one is better than they other. If you have the time to bond over something or during something with your old man then you can't ask for too much more than that. I have a few buddies whose dad walked out on them when they were young, and even though they would never admit it, it has effected them and their outlooks on life. I am glad you've had good moments with your dad, that shit is important.

Had a lot of good times with my dad in my 20's. He will always be the teacher first, but that's when he started respecting me more like a friend. One particular time that will always stand out is when we took a road trip from california to utah for my cousins funeral. Of course we had to stop in some rundown town in nevada and he showed me his favorite dive bar/brothels/strip joints. Nothing like knocking back some brewskis with you're old man while watchin some titties.

Awesome. Never got to go out for a night out with my old man to a bar, or strip club. His partying days are long behind him, but I don't blame him. Pretty cool experience with your old man though.

I've noticed some people shitting on these types of activities with your dad, but I can tell they haven't experienced it and may be a little bitter about it. There is something special about hanging out with your dad as a friend and not a son for one of the first times. Hard to explain, but I know some people like you get it.

My dad died when I was barely 15 so I didn't have a chance to do adult things with him. He was mostly just trying to make sure I turned out a good man and not some loser. Meaning he was really tough on me but I appreciate it now.

I did try my first sip of beer with him though when I was young. It was my job to mow the lawn and he would just sit outside and have a couple beers on a nice day to make sure I didn't run my foot over or do something stupid and one time he offered me a taste of his beer. I thought it was gross which is funny considering how much beer I drink as an adult.

I really wish I could have had those father son dinners and shit that I see other people get to do. Or go to Yankee games with him and drink shitty beer and eat crap food.

Daddy left when I was two
138585851-56a871235f9b58b7d0f29e0b.jpg

Not necessarily a man moment but when i was a soph in hs i came home on friday before a game. My dad was in the driveway dicking with his bike and i could tell he had some beers or whatever earlier. So he starts telling me about how he and Mr. B were having beers earlier and they got to talking about the game, Mr B's kid was tight end for the team we were playing against (keep in mind these 2 have been friends before my folks were married, early vietnam days). So he says "me and julio have a friendly wager blah blah blah" i didnt really want to fucking hear it because i was getting my head ready. "Yeah ok dad, were gonna fucking pin our ears back" I couldn't give much thought at the time because the other team had a rb that hung 300 yards on a team (a good team actually) the week before.

So that was my moment.

My dad died when I was barely 15 so I didn't have a chance to do adult things with him. He was mostly just trying to make sure I turned out a good man and not some loser. Meaning he was really tough on me but I appreciate it now.

I did try my first sip of beer with him though when I was young. It was my job to mow the lawn and he would just sit outside and have a couple beers on a nice day to make sure I didn't run my foot over or do something stupid and one time he offered me a taste of his beer. I thought it was gross which is funny considering how much beer I drink as an adult.

I really wish I could have had those father son dinners and shit that I see other people get to do. Or go to Yankee games with him and drink shitty beer and eat crap food.

<2> That shit just aint fair, sorry to hear. Glad you got some memories with him though.
Daddy left when I was two
138585851-56a871235f9b58b7d0f29e0b.jpg
<2>Thats a shame dude. Sorry to hear.

My dad's a Clint Eastwood fan so I watched The Dead Pool and Grand Torino with him tonight. Epic scene-

I had a moment with my dad this summer when he was reflecting on things and said "I'm just happy to see that my kids are doing then I ever did" and I said "fuck that, you did more than anyone could ever ask for". He married my mom who had 2 kids, adopted us, he was happy to be able to work so that she could stay home and raise the kids, had my 2 brothers and at 58 is as hard working and blue collar as they come.

There was a day that always stands out for me. He got hurt at work when he was tightening down a high tension spring on a truck dock he was installing, The spring gave way, the wrench spun back and hit him in the face, splitting his forehead wide open and he fell off his ladder. He was bleeding all over, took off his work shirt to try and suppress the bleeping and drove himself to the hospital. When he called my mom we were just getting home from school and went to go get him. On the way down our van started to act up. I don't remember what exactly was wrong with is because I was 10-ish? but what I'll never forget is he diagnosed the problem (I believe it was a thermostat), called my grandmother(his mom) to bring the part, and with stitches in his head(and at the time a potential fractured skull) and an arm in a sling/sprained ankle from the fall, fixed it and we drove home. Then the next morning he attempted to go to work in that condition, my mom and his boss talked him out of it and he stayed home. Still though I know he doesn't think of himself in this way, but he's a total badass, and even though I do my best to follow his example I know I'll never really be what he is, and still admire the hell out of him.

Last edited:
Na. The older I get the less I like my dad sadly

Haven't seen him in over 20 years, honestly don't know if he's alive. I don't wish him any ill will, we just had different paths in life, and being a father wasn't his path.

I had a moment with my dad this summer when he was reflecting on things and said "I'm just happy to see that my kids are doing then I ever did" and I said "fuck that, you did more than anyone could ever ask for". He married my mom who had 2 kids, adopted us, he was happy to be able to work so that she could stay home and raise the kids, had my 2 brothers and at 58 is as hard working and blue collar as they come.

There was a day that always stands out for me. He got hurt at work when he was tightening down a high tension spring on a truck dock he was installing, The spring gave way, the wrench spun back and hit him in the face, splitting his forehead wide open and he fell off his ladder. He was bleeding all over, took off his work shirt to try and suppress the bleeping and drove himself to the hospital. When he called my mom we were just getting home from school and went to go get him. On the way down our van started to act up. I don't remember what exactly was wrong with is because I was 10-ish? but what I'll never forget is he diagnosed the problem (I believe it was a thermostat), called my grandmother(his mom) to bring the part, and with stitches in his head(and at the time a potential fractured skull) and an arm in a sling/sprained ankle from the fall, fixed it and we drove home. Then the next morning he attempted to go to work in that condition, my mom and his boss talked him out of it and he stayed home. Still though I know he doesn't think of himself in this way, but he's a total badass, and even though I do my best to follow his example I know I'll never really be what he is, and still admire the hell out of him.

Thats a fucking awesome story dude. Your dad sounds like an epic dad.

That is guy is Antonio Inoki and the guy he's slapping is a heavyweight Lyoto Machida (who was being trained by Inoki at that time) fresh off his promotional debut against Kengo Watanabe. It was also considered a great honor to be thusly slapped by him. So....

200.gif

Also, here's Inoki slapping the shit of literally his entire company, chicks and all. Pretty sure the black woman he pimp slaps likes it:

That was the greatest fucking video ever.

I have a pretty damn good relationship with my father. My parents took their sweet fucking time to do everything so he's a little older. I'll be 30 in May and he'll be 66 3 days later. Despite living 4.5 hours apart, we still do a lot together. We play golf together several times a year including a trip to SC for that sole reason, we hunt together, I got him into craft beer a few years back so we share a few beers often, when he's in town, he always does shit around my house that I can't, etc. During football season, we call one another after the Eagles and Penn State games to discuss everything that happened. We're very different and a lot alike at the same time if that makes sense. We have similar interests, the same sense of humor, built the same, and people say I look just like him but our personalities are quite different. I can't pinpoint any singular moment as there were a lot over the years. I'm lucky.

Back