Shin breaks in muay thai?

If you watch Anderson training he looks lazy,he never seems to be kicking pad,bag or anything with full power.
So add age to that and poor conditioning and you get a snap.
It really is a pain when the UFC talk about what an epic Muay Thai fighter Anderson is when which world class Muay Thai fighter did he fight full Thai rules?
I think his style was more tricky kickboxing.
Conditioning is the key.

well kru toy(sityodtong) had nothing but good things to say 'bout anderson's muay thai - and this was off the record while I was in brazil a few years back. He's an mma fighter and cannot really focus on strict muay thai full time.

I doubt anderson trains like what you've seen all the time.

Wow, thanks for all the interesting replies everyone!

It seems Rutten might be right about opening the hips being important for avoiding this type of injury with a low kick.

Buakaw's hips were fully open for his kick, while Silva's were not, nor were the fighter's in the above posted video that included a leg break.

There are lots of leg break muay thai videos on youtube. Sometimes the fighter's hips seem to be open, other times not. Here's another example of the latter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LzJmTdm8XA

jesus...the shin conditioning threads have made it here also...they cant be stopped!!!

Why does turning the hips avoid injury? I thought more power = more force > injury

Shinbreaks occur in all sports with lowkicks. Thai Nak Muay are not immune and anyone claiming otherwise is full of BS (and usually nut-clinging hero wordhip).
It is rare everywhere but it happens everywhere. K-1, kyokushin, Sanda, Muay thai, Shootboxing ...and MMA. And as far as I know there is no study made about in which, if any, one it happens with the highest frequency.
Sometime shit just happens!

Wow, who said nak muays are totally immune. Who is the one nuthuggering now.
If you can't comprehend, the science of shin conditioning and being experience in full contact
fights since young age then you seriously need help.

For example I would not act butthurt like you if someone said Kyokushin has better hand conditioning.

You can't strengthen your shin bones.
The banana tree kicking method they do in Thailand may seem like it strengthens the bone but what it really does is just kill the nerves of the shin area so you won't feel checked kicks hurt you as much.

The banana tree kicking method they do in Thailand may seem like it strengthens the bone but what it really does is just kill the nerves of the shin area so you won't feel checked kicks hurt you as much.

1. nobody in thailand is kicking banana trees.

2. micro fractures to the bone actually make the bones denser.

I have a nice bunch of banana tree seeds for sale pm me for details!

Running, skipping, heavybag. Thai fighters start that stuff at the age of 10.

no...rolling pins/coke bottles on your leg is what deadens the nerve but doesnt strengthen the bone.

1000s of reps on a heavy bag is what strengthens the shin bone.

Age 10? They're already in the ring by age 10:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ebc_1385848102

admittedly it looks like the fat boy's first time. But the girl looks like she has been in there a few times before.

I really don't like that video. You can tell there is a massive gap in skill and experience. He was terrified from the beginning and predictably gets the shit kicked out of him. Then to make things worse, he became a punchline on the internet because he was fat and bad things happening to fat people is deemed funny. The kid was maybe 10. That's fucking child abuse.

Look up Wolff's Law and educate yourself.
And LOL at your belief in the banana tree method.

Just spoke to my coach and he said something about when you turn your hips fully you kick with the thicker part of the shin however if you don't turn it properly it's the thin part and makes it easer for it to snap.

Also he said maybe he was losing a lot of weight and didn't get all the nutrients required which made it break

Just spoke to my coach and he said something about when you turn your hips fully you kick with the thicker part of the shin however if you don't turn it properly it's the thin part and makes it easer for it to snap.
This, and it's also more of a full body motion rather than a whip like snap.

I seem to remember that some of Masato's lows looked like the came in at a risky upward angle. No better defense than timing though which I guess is how he got away with it.

Back