Crime Shooting at University of Nevada, Multiple Victims Suspected (Shooter Deceased)

Yeah, that's a bold move claiming that Newtown, CT and Parkland, FL are "rural" and not suburban.
Density is a much better indicator than overall population.

Yea thats more what I was thinking. Rural to me means middle of nowhere population under 30k and I as you said when I thought of all the ones I could think of it seemed like it was a suburbs thing.

I literally do not care about whatever the overall argument is supposed to be here, but wouldn't a metro Detroit city be directly next to a bunch of other cities thus making it urban? A standalone town of 75k people or less seems fairly rural to me.

That is because you are an idiot and have no idea what the fuck "Rural" means.

I live 60 miles west of Pittsburgh in a small city of 30,000 people and there isn't any farmland in sight.

I suppose I was just thinking of city by city the population numbers and not considering them all one thing. 75 k doesn't seem like a rural size town to me. Regardless of if it's alone or if it's bordered by a bunch with similar numbers. That's civilization and will have a meijar and chain restaurants and all that comes with it.

The Goon Poon has never left his parent's basement and has no idea WTF he is talking about.

Under 75K people = "Rural" <45>

Yea thats more what I was thinking. Rural to me means middle of nowhere population under 30k and I as you said when I thought of all the ones I could think of it seemed like it was a suburbs thing.
Hmm, it turns out the USCB has an actual definition.

In the United States, the Census Bureau classifies a rural area as a town with fewer than 1,000 people per 2.6 square kilometers (square mile), and surrounding areas with fewer than 500 people per 2.6 square kilometers (square mile).

I live in a city about 25 miles from Atlanta. Our population is only about 40k but density is over 4,600 per square mile.

I suppose I was just thinking of city by city the population numbers and not considering them all one thing. 75 k doesn't seem like a rural size town to me. Regardless of if it's alone or if it's bordered by a bunch with similar numbers. That's civilization and will have a meijar and chain restaurants and all that comes with it.
You are probably right, maybe it's just my perspective. I live in a city of around 200k, but I regularly hear it referred to as a "rural" area because it is about 5-6 hours from a major metropolitan area.

I live 60 miles west of Pittsburgh in a small city of 30,000 people and there isn't any farmland in sight.
The Goon Poon has never left his parent's basement and has no idea WTF he is talking about.

Under 75K people = "Rural" <45>
Settle down. Tell me your most memorable previous account so I see if I recognize who you are.

You are probably right, maybe it's just my perspective. I live in a city of around 200k, but I regularly hear it referred to as a "rural" area because it is about 5-6 hours from a major metropolitan area.

That's actually what I was thinking that it was a perspective thing. That's like 75000 more people than Ann arbor which is a decent sized city for Michigan standards. I wasn't even on topic about school shooters or wanting to make a point on it the 75 k and rural just seemed an odd expression to me.

Hmm, it turns out the USCB has an actual definition.

In the United States, the Census Bureau classifies a rural area as a town with fewer than 1,000 people per 2.6 square kilometers (square mile), and surrounding areas with fewer than 500 people per 2.6 square kilometers (square mile).

I live in a city about 25 miles from Atlanta. Our population is only about 40k but density is over 4,600 per square mile.

Yea I can picture that and I think that definition works. Tha density per mile is a good way to calculate how packed in you are.

Other than Atlanta when I came through Georgia the whole state seemed pretty rural to me. Atlanta seemed huge compared to Detroit though.

Yea I can picture that and I think that definition works. Tha density per mile is a good way to calculate how packed in you are.

Other than Atlanta when I came through Georgia the whole state seemed pretty rural to me. Atlanta seemed huge compared to Detroit though.
Most of the state outside of the metro is rural. But the Atlanta area went from 2 million in 1990 to over 6 million by 2020.

Here in Las Vegas we consider ourselves to be "rural." we don't even have out 3rd professional team playing here yet

Actually, you don't.

urbanrural_450px.png

Not saying stick head in sand I'm saying don't give it wall to wall coverage. These nut cases do this for attention. Tske away alot of the attention you tske away alot of the problem imo.

Or focus ALL attention solely on victims and none to assailant or his agenda.
What's the data that supports that?
There's plenty of better ways to get attention, and these shootings are so normalized that they really don't get that much attention beyond a weekend or so. Can you even name the names of this shooter, or any others off the top of your head?

It's also not helping the public to ignore them. Covering these stories makes people aware and keeps their guard up for future attacks. They may know what to look for in the future, or invest in protection for themselves.

A person who is willing to get a gun and mow down a bunch of innocent people didn't turn that way just because they saw someone else do it before on the news.
And you don't have to be crazy to kill someone. Some people just do not care and want to hurt people, or have specific agendas. It doesn't do us any good to pretend like they don't exist.

Maybe I shouldn't write this as to jinx it but I'm surprised there aren't mass shootings at sports events something like at football game that would for sure get a lot of attention.

Most major sporting events have pretty heavy security.

stop reporting killings, will stop them?

This may be the most intelligent solution on an issue Ive ever seen .

This is deep thinking!
In a way he's right. Like I said, how such things are reported can make a difference, as it has with suicide. Changing the way they are reported upon has reduced copycat occurrences.

Probably has a lot to do with doctors wanting to make money off drugs that either don't work, or the patients don't take. We had a lot less of these mass shooting when doctors were still performing Lobotomy's which btw, are still legal in the US.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Former professor was the shooter. Would not have expected that

Three people were killed in a shooting at the Las Vegas campus of the University of Nevada (UNLV) on Wednesday morning.

The gunman, described as a white former college professor in his 60s, was killed in a shootout with police.

Former professor was the shooter. Would not have expected that

Three people were killed in a shooting at the Las Vegas campus of the University of Nevada (UNLV) on Wednesday morning.

The gunman, described as a white former college professor in his 60s, was killed in a shootout with police.
Latest this morning is that he was turned down for a job there. Those he killed weren’t students possibly faculty.

Sounds like this is more of a workplace violence situation than any kind of terrorism, or traditional school mass shooting than anything else

Looks like the stuff my parents were hearing about it being related to the Middle East situation was more hysteria than anything too

CNN saying motive may have been that he was denied a job there. He was a career professor but not at that college. He’d recently applied at UNLV but did not get the job

Back