Should Michael Richards get another shot?

Eazy123

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Got into an hour long argument with a family member over this, which I get is dumb...but should he be snubbed by Hollywood forever over his racist rant 12 years ago?

He was in the wrong totally...but time has passed and I could see him doing a voiceover for an animated movie at the least. I always felt he had a voice for it. I feel people change and at some point deserve a second shot but it seems like this moment defined his whole career.

Thoughts? Also, aside from Mel Gibson, have any other racist actors/entertainers bounced back, made amends and made it?

We all snap sometimes, give him another shot.

His career wasn't exactly on an upward trajectory before he melted down on stage.

His career wasn't really that great when it happened.

That being said if he could write something or give a good acting audition that isnt Kramer , I don't see why society shouldn't give him another chance. Saying something stupid shouldn't be a life sentence.

His career wasn't really that great when it happened.

That being said if he could write something or give a good acting audition that isnt Kramer , I don't see why society shouldn't give him another chance. Saying something stupid shouldn't be a life sentence.
That was my argument. I get he didn't have much of a career post Seinfeld and pre racist rant but interviewers always seem to bring it up even today and it puts him off. Not all actors hit their stride early on but I feel he has potential.

Another thing to think about I think is, we are talking about people who want to be apart of the upper echelon of society i.e. famous and rich, the threshold for mistakes should be quite low.

I mean it's not like he is starving and can just get a regular Joe job like the rest of us.

Another thing to think about I think is, we are talking about people who want to be apart of the upper echelon of society i.e. famous and rich, the threshold for mistakes should be quite low.
True. I wouldn't ever consider him the upper echelon at any point... but a life sentence?

True. I wouldn't ever consider him the upper echelon at any point... but a life sentence?
I edited my post it's just a life sentence from being a big star .

Also I think at the height of Seinfeld he was getting a million and episode and everybody would recognize him. That's gotta be .001 percent type

He was a nobody before and after Seinfeld.

I honestly didn't even like him on Seinfeld, but I guess a lot of people did.

My point is, he just got a lucky break, and now that it's over, the universe has put him back where he belongs. He deserves to be able to get a career as an insurance agent without his racist remarks ruining that for him, but that's it.

According to comedians on the scene at the time when he was trying to mount a “comeback,” he was doing tons of blow, was completely withdrawn, and was terrible on stage. It didn’t seem like a one off.

I edited my post it's just a life sentence from being a big star .

Also I think at the height of Seinfeld he was getting a million and episode and everybody would recognize him. That's gotta be .001 percent type
But...big star vs giving the guy an role is a huge difference. Maybe he sucks, whatever, but to not give him a chance at all? I don't get it.

He doesn't have to be the next big thing but I say don't write the dude off completely.

If he isn't already living off dividends from Seinfeld he can get fucked for all I care.

According to comedians on the scene at the time when he was trying to mount a “comeback,” he was doing tons of blow, was completely withdrawn, and was terrible on stage. It didn’t seem like a one off.
That, I wasn't aware of. If thats the case then it's on him.

But...big star vs giving the guy an role is a huge difference. Maybe he sucks, whatever, but to not give him a chance at all? I don't get it.

He doesn't have to be the next big thing but I say don't write the dude off completely.
I mean give him a chance I guess but if someone else were even close to how good he was I'm sure they'd get the role.

Honestly it doesn't matter too much to me I can see both sides.

It's like being a surgeon or even in my trade. If you fuck up royally you might not get another job again. If I build a house and it falls apart or something I might never get hired again. Just the way she goes.

Hes not blackballed, hes just reached the end of his career
The reason he was doing stand up in the first place was because he couldnt do anything else
He was great as Kramer but after that he made a movie that failed and a tv show that failed so he tried stand up and failed at that too
If he had anything left he wouldve got another shot but hes done, just like so many other actors that were huge for a moment in time before and after him

Hes not blackballed, hes just reached the end of his career
The reason he was doing stand up in the first place was because he couldnt do anything else
He was great as Kramer but after that he made a movie that failed and a tv show that failed so he tried stand up and failed at that too
If he had anything left he wouldve got another shot but hes done, just like so many other actors that were huge for a moment in time before and after him
If that's the case then it's on him. I just wonder ifhe gets shut down because of the incident.

Yeah I don't think "the incident" has much bearing on his current career (or lack thereof).

I am ambivalent but I'm sure there are plenty of other deserving talented comedians who should be getting looks instead of this guy who already had his time.

Back