Siblings and Families in MMA (UPDATED Sep. 22)

So I was off by one, but the numbers don't add up now. If we take out Frank and Ken we're down to 17. If we take out teams where one only competed in TUF, we're down to 15.

Funny story about Chucks brother...
I was in Vegas few years ago during the Olympia weekend, my friend is DJing at Moon nightclub. Few of us are in the DJ booth and chucks Bro happens to be there with a couple girls, asking if he can kick it in the booth (basically wanted to look important riding the strength of his name). My DJ friend tells him ok but he needs to bring girls for the rest of us also, which he does.

All seems good then he decides to go into baller mode and wants to buy us all a drink, he takes us to the bar and orders a round a shots and then his credit card DECLINED. He fumbles around looking for another card or something but then we left to go back to the booth with the girls...he never returned lol

Jon Anik last night said that Chris and his debuting brother Brian marked the *sixteenth set of brothers to compete inside the Octagon. Can you name them all? I'll get a list started:

1) Matt and Mark Hughes, behind the barn
2) Nate and Nick Diaz
3) Rogerio (little) and Rodrigo (big) Nogueira
4) Frank and Ken Shamrock (adopted but fine)
5) Anthony and Sergio Pettis
6) Jim and Dan Miller
7) Joe and Dan Lauzon
8) Matt and Nick Serra
9) Clay and Jason Guida (Jason was on TUF 8)
10) Jake and Jared Rosholt
11) Erick and Augusto Montano
12) Junior and Raphael Assuncao
13) Iuri/Yuri and Ildemar Alcantara
14) Junie and Rob Browning (Rob was on TUF 9)
15) Rashad and Lance Evans (Lance was on TUF 8)
16) Jake and Joe Ellenberger
17) Chris and Brian Camozzi
18) Yuri and Danillo Villefort

Rolles and Roger Gracie - are they brothers? How are they related?

There have been several other brother teams to compete in MMA, but not both in the UFC.

Fedor and Aleksander Emelianenko
Alistair and Valentijn Overeem
Mauricio and Murilo Rua (Murilo was only in Pride)
Chuck and Sean Liddell
Cole and Micah Miller (Micah competed in WEC but not UFC)
Khabib and Abubakar Nurmagomedov (cousins, and adopted brother)
Lyoto and Chinzo Machida (Chinzo competes in Bellator)
Caros and Ben Fodor (Phoenix Jones) are adopted brothers
BJ and Reagan Penn
Gilbert and Herbert Burns (Herbert competes in One)
Jeremy Horn and Matt Anderson are half-brothers
Anthony and Chidi Njokuani (Chidi competes in Bellator)
Patricky and Patricio Frierre
Chris and Andreas Spang (Andreas competed in Bellator)
Michael and Brad McDonald
Douglas and Dhiego Lima (Douglas competes in Bellator)
Pat and Ryan Healy (Ryan competed in Bellator and others)

Royce, Renzo and Roger Gracie are cousins
Pat and Jeff Curran are cousins
Rodrigo and Carina Damm are brother and sister. Don't know other brother-sister teams out there.
I don't know if you just have a ton of time on your hands or if you actually are a walking encyclopaedia. In any case this was interesting to me. I so badly wanted to say Cyborg and Cyborg Santos, but you are being serious.

Funny story about Chucks brother...
I was in Vegas few years ago during the Olympia weekend, my friend is DJing at Moon nightclub. Few of us are in the DJ booth and chucks Bro happens to be there with a couple girls, asking if he can kick it in the booth (basically wanted to look important riding the strength of his name). My DJ friend tells him ok but he needs to bring girls for the rest of us also, which he does.

All seems good then he decides to go into baller mode and wants to buy us all a drink, he takes us to the bar and orders a round a shots and then his credit card DECLINED. He fumbles around looking for another card or something but then we left to go back to the booth with the girls...he never returned lol
LBM55wY.gif

I don't know if you just have a ton of time on your hands or if you actually are a walking encyclopaedia.
Mostly the latter. I knew most of the list off the top of my head, and davemeddlehed filled in some gaps. Also I looked at an old thread on this from four years ago or so just to get a head start.

Royce and Ryan Gracie were brothers...I'm pretty sure

Both competed in PRIDE

Royce and Ryan Gracie were brothers...I'm pretty sure

Both competed in PRIDE
Yeah I went over the family tree and they're all over the map. Ryan was brothers with Renzo and Ralph. It's quite confusing.

Faber, Carmouche & Cyborg

blackzilians-e1430613178912.jpg

Whooops! I misunderstood the thread title meaning....

Didn't know there was a Nick Serra.. I wonder if he has that same annoying voice Matt has

Matt's only spoke on it briefly on their falling out not sure if it was bad mental health or bad business or a combination but one day Matt just changed the locks on the gym on him

Weird no one asked the questions, did any brothers fight each other?

Jon Anik last night said that Chris and his debuting brother Brian marked the *sixteenth set of brothers to compete inside the Octagon. Can you name them all? I'll get a list started:

1) Matt and Mark Hughes, behind the barn
2) Nate and Nick Diaz
3) Rogerio (little) and Rodrigo (big) Nogueira
4) Frank and Ken Shamrock (adopted but fine)
5) Anthony and Sergio Pettis
6) Jim and Dan Miller
7) Joe and Dan Lauzon
8) Matt and Nick Serra
9) Clay and Jason Guida (Jason was on TUF 8)
10) Jake and Jared Rosholt
11) Erick and Augusto Montano
12) Junior and Raphael Assuncao
13) Iuri/Yuri and Ildemar Alcantara
14) Junie and Rob Browning (Rob was on TUF 9)
15) Rashad and Lance Evans (Lance was on TUF 8)
16) Jake and Joe Ellenberger
17) Chris and Brian Camozzi
18) Yuri and Danillo Villefort

Rolles and Roger Gracie - are they brothers? How are they related?

There have been several other brother teams to compete in MMA, but not both in the UFC.

Fedor and Aleksander Emelianenko
Alistair and Valentijn Overeem
Mauricio and Murilo Rua (Murilo was only in Pride)
Chuck and Sean Liddell
Cole and Micah Miller (Micah competed in WEC but not UFC)
Khabib and Abubakar Nurmagomedov (cousins, and adopted brother)
Lyoto and Chinzo Machida (Chinzo competes in Bellator)
Caros and Ben Fodor (Phoenix Jones) are adopted brothers
BJ and Reagan Penn
Gilbert and Herbert Burns (Herbert competes in One)
Jeremy Horn and Matt Anderson are half-brothers
Anthony and Chidi Njokuani (Chidi competes in Bellator)
Patricky and Patricio Frierre
Chris and Andreas Spang (Andreas competed in Bellator)
Michael and Brad McDonald
Douglas and Dhiego Lima (Douglas competes in Bellator)
Pat and Ryan Healy (Ryan competed in Bellator and others)

Royce, Renzo and Roger Gracie are cousins
Pat and Jeff Curran are cousins
Rodrigo and Carina Damm are brother and sister. Don't know other brother-sister teams out there.
I've seen comment at Russian social media that Abdurahman Nurmagomedov is Khabib's cousin too. Also Omar Nurmagomedov called Abdulmanap (father of Khabib) "uncle" in some short interview. UFC fighter Alexey Oleynik and M-1 champion Alexander Butenko are cousins. According to another comment at social media Adlan Amagov (and his brothers) and Azamat Amagov are second cousins. Elias Garcia is cousin of Pettis brothers.

Back