So 36 yo Usman, with a short camp, coming up a weight class, is an elite win ?

Yes. Saying Usman is not an elite win is absolutely retarded

It's a much better win than Paula Costa would have been. Not even debatable

Usman isn't an elite win @ 185 because he isn't tested there. He isn't even ranked top15 at 185, so by definition Usman isn't elite there. Paulo Costa isn't an elite either. Simple, even generous, criteria for the phrase "elite win": be at least top10.

Usman isn't an elite win @ 185 because he isn't tested there. He isn't even ranked top15 at 185, so by definition Usman isn't elite there. Paulo Costa isn't an elite either. Simple, even generous, criteria for the phrase "elite win": be at least top10.
Dude no one has ragdolled usman like khamzat did that first round, have you seen usman take down defence record? Its annoying as fuck listening to people trying to down peoples wins with this silly nonsense. We get it some of you are just butt hurt khamzat won again and are desperate for him to lose.

Round 1 chimaev is a monster and usman even at MW is a very good win. Is he champion with multiple title defenses level good? Who knows. If he can’t get his opponent out in the first round, he may be in trouble against the elite at 185 who can keep it standing and exploit the holes in his stand up. The guys still getting better though, he’s 29 with 13 fights and he can give anyone at MW a hard out

He was booked against a middleweight and the middleweight pulled out. Now he's about to fight the middleweight world champion.

Wouldn't be so sure on Anderson, if Chael can take him down repeatedly then I don't see why Khamzat can't.

Chael was on roids. Terrible example

Don't get me wrong, Usman is still great. His knees are shot, but he still has the gas tank and the stand up to compensate.

Kamaru definitely is not a MW. Khamzat can't even make WW anymore, so this weight class suits him better. It's hard to get excited about his win knowing all the circomstances and the Costa pull out, and i'm still waiting for a top actual MW contender to really test him.

Until then i'm not completely sold on Khamzat. He slowed down after the first round too (yes i heard about his potential broken hand)
Idk but it shows how smart ppl like Usman are......

Dude no one has ragdolled usman like khamzat did that first round, have you seen usman take down defence record? Its annoying as fuck listening to people trying to down peoples wins with this silly nonsense. We get it some of you are just butt hurt khamzat won again and are desperate for him to lose.

Yeah I know all about Usman's fights and TDD record. The thing is all of those fights happened at 170 and not 185; and let's not pretend like Usman is in his prime anymore when he's north of 36, has two bum knees, and is coming off 2 losses, either. Really, I don't care who wins. I'm not emotionally invested in fighters... too old for that. I just have a basic definiton of "elite", which is being ranked at least top10 in the weight class. Costa and Usman fall short of the definition @ 185 in 2023. Not a debate.

Last edited:
Yes, yes it is.

Not optimal circumstances, nor enough to leap frog DDP, but absolutely an elite win.

Some with Islam's over Volk

Yeah I know all about Usman's fights and TDD record. The thing is all of those fights happened at 170 and not 185; let's not pretend like Usman is in his prime anymore when he's north of 36, has two bum knees, and is coming off 2 losses, either. Really, I don't care who wins. I'm not emotionally invested in fighters... too old for that. I just have a basic definiton of "elite", which is being ranked at least top10 in the weight class. Costa and Usman fall short of the definition @ 185 in 2023. Not a debate.
usman is massive ripped dude,
so was heavier and khamzat still mauled him?? Khamzat isnt some 185 veteran himself.

I just have a basic definiton of "elite", which is being ranked at least top10 in the weight class. Costa and Usman fall short of the definition @ 185 in 2023. Not a debate.

uhhhhhhh kind of a debate tho right?

upload_2023-10-22_22-57-43.png
upload_2023-10-22_22-57-22.png

Yes. Saying Usman is not an elite win is absolutely retarded

It's a much better win than Paula Costa would have been. Not even debatable

Costa is a better win at mw. Usman is a ww. 15 pounds is a lot.

I mean top top10 in the world, not UFC's bullshit media rankings. Costa literally hasn't had a quality win at MW since Romero in like 2019. Then since losing to Izzy, he's been schooled by Vetorri and scraped by the ghost of Rockhold with almost no cardio. So yeah, not a debate. Costa isn't a top 10 MW in the world, sorry.

https://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/middleweight/
https://www.tapology.com/rankings/current-top-ten-middleweight-mma-fighters-185-pounds

Usman had the best defensive wrestling stats in ufc history and khamzat showcased the skill disparity by shooting telegraphed shots from a mile away and still taking him down every round

Usman showed he just how elite he is by taking everything khamzat had in the first and mounting a comeback. Having said that I still wanted to see khamzat fight a legit middleweight, a bigger guy. Costa, cannonier, DDP etc.

So beating the former WW champ (and utterly dominating him in round 1) who prior to that had only lost to 2 people and been the clear cut #1 of the division until a year ago and who is always in shape and is a huge WW/could fight at MW - that's not a great win? Ok buddy. Yeah beating Usman is similar to winning a razor close decision against Cody Mckenzie.

Khamzat has proven he can beat a couple of very good, aging WWs (one on 10 days notice who had to travel halfway around the world)..and some guys like Kevin Holland. The verdict is still out on how he'd do against a proven, Top 5 MW.

Its Kamaru fucking Usman.

That guy is first ballot hall of fame and arguably the GOAT WW.

Do you honestly think thats an easier fight than vettori or costa? lol

Back