Sony Announce Playstation Classic with 20 preinstalled games

The few that ive tried worked fine. I dont have many ps1 titles due to memory limitations.
How do the ps1 games run on it? I've tried emulating games on my PC but every game I've ever tried had either audio issues(like slight static or popping) or visual bugs/slowdown.

I don't think the library is all that bad TBH. I think ultimately what hurt it, other than the reports of how cheap and shoddily put together it was, was the fact that the games simply aren't hard to find, and people have been playing them off of emulators and the PSN for years. Why spend $100+ on a separate system to play these games that you can grab for $5 or $10 a piece on PSN?

Playstation also doesn't carry the same nostalgic weight as Nintendo, and has been sure to allow you to play all or most of it's games on each new system, whether it was BC or digital. I mean, you can still play PS1 discs on a PS3. If you have these games in one form or another, there is really no incentive to pick up the PSC. These arguments could be made for Nintendo as well, with the VC letting you download classics, but I think Nintendo platforms have a more unique feel about them, and I don't think people have kept up with the old library of games, as much as people have with the Playstation, because online and digital content for Nintendo has been kind of shit and has never been a focal point of their consoles. I think the VC is more of an afterthought for Nintendo console owners. The PSN on the other hand, seems more like a staple of the Playstation experience, where people have routinely re-upped their classic library while browsing around for other games.

For game choice, maybe you're right, but it's pretty crazy Crash Bandicoot isn't on there. That was the mascot, lead franchise game that sold consoles. There's a few other games like that but the most obvious one is Crash, and since they didn't want to shell out for such an obvious pick I can't help but assume they didn't want to shell out for Castlevania or Spyro. Maybe Playstation isn't as nostalgic as Nintendo, but if I think of a game to add to Nintendo's classics' lineups I'm not sure what game I'd take out to make up for it. If I come up with games for the Playstation I'd have to get like four deep to start thinking.

A big problem with the PSmini is market fatigue for sure. For a year and a half or so people lost it over the NES, which inspired cheap knockoffs, then the SNES launch went much smoother, then Sony's came out. It was perfectly timed to the fad wearing off.

Is PS4 backward compatible with everything? I remember PS3 only playing PS1 discs and the early ones played PS2. I never thought about the classic failing because of, uh, hoarders.

Buy USB type controllers for whatever system you want and use emulators. They’re only $15 each and don’t need to be configured first as long as it’s plugged before you start the emulator.

No apart from some PS2 games digitally and even then its a small list

This probably isn't the reason then. I think with the graphics race winding down Sony could do well by focusing on compatibility, that really would be a great draw. Multiple generations of gamers with a place to play their old libraries. That'd be better than programming 70 more shader options for eyeballs at this point.

This probably isn't the reason then. I think with the graphics race winding down Sony could do well by focusing on compatibility, that really would be a great draw. Multiple generations of gamers with a place to play their old libraries. That'd be better than programming 70 more shader options for eyeballs at this point.

There are rumors that the PS5 will be fully backwards compatible for for PS1/2/3/4.

I don't buy it, but it's being floated around on the net, and the net is right about 10% of the time with these early rumors, so you never know. Keep hope alive!

BTW, you can now buy this for $25 on Amazon and Best Buy

At that price it's pretty tempting even if I only care about a few of the games since it would probably cost me more to buy the games to play on the PS2. Talk about a colossal flop on Sony's part with this though

BTW, you can now buy this for $25 on Amazon and Best Buy

At that price it's pretty tempting even if I only care about a few of the games since it would probably cost me more to buy the games to play on the PS2. Talk about a colossal flop on Sony's part with this though

Think most people buy these now to use as emulation machines, supposedly its good for that.

at this rate it’ll be down to $9.99 by Christmas lol

Buy USB type controllers for whatever system you want and use emulators. They’re only $15 each and don’t need to be configured first as long as it’s plugged before you start the emulator.

In hindsight this is good advice.

After I bought mine I ended up modding it with Autobleem, it is an improvement over the stock emulator as far as I am aware.

In hindsight this is good advice.

After I bought mine I ended up modding it with Autobleem, it is an improvement over the stock emulator as far as I am aware.
You don't use RetroArch?

You don't use RetroArch?

I am trying to get it going right now. Any tips would be welcome??

Retroarch has been a pain in my assholes trying to get going on the Playstation Classic, along with Bleemsync.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but Autobleem is plug and play, drag and drop, just the way I like it.

Why do people buy this overpriced garbage? Thank god it tanked and is on sale now lol
Nostalgia sure is a powerful thing and a great way to part a fool and his money, it seems.

I am trying to get it going right now. Any tips would be welcome??

Retroarch has been a pain in my assholes trying to get going on the Playstation Classic, along with Bleemsync.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but Autobleem is plug and play, drag and drop, just the way I like it.
Check out r/PlaystationClassic. They have an FAQ and are quick to answer questions.

still at 39.99 in the uk

would buy for 20 if it's easy enough to mod for more games, my cheap laptop is a bit jumpy emulating less 'cartoonish' games like metal gear solid

still at 39.99 in the uk

would buy for 20 if it's easy enough to mod for more games, my cheap laptop is a bit jumpy emulating less 'cartoonish' games like metal gear solid

They were £20 on Amazon last week i think for Prime Day

The PS1 might have the best library of games ever. Not a fan of these minis except to crack em and install many games. The PS1 non dual shock controller is maybe the best controller ever too...

The PS1 non dual shock controller is maybe the best controller ever too...
The Dual Analog?

300px-PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg

Back