STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

If you have seen STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
My 2 cents.

Broom kid is meant to mean hope.. not set up the next Rian trilogy. In fact there is no way anyone is bypassing Rey / Kylo and the new characters... nope, no new movies that time skips them if they make the trilogy with Rian it's in the past, Broom Kid could be something like 20 or 30 years down the line if hey ever wanna push with that one.

Realistically their movie focus in regards to a timeline and progress should be ep 10 / 11 / 12 and this means using Rey.

Rian can go in the past with his new trilogy if they ever decide to pull the trigger on that, or just put it on ice for a few years till the bad press goes down a little.

Then you have those Game of Thrones creators that also are planning some movie and again I don't think they can go in the future with them so they do go backwards in time but so much back that it will feel new we won't have any heavy connections from the 'newer' movies. The trick is go back but make it feel new while don't stepping on any Rey and co. future plans.

The Leia scene.. yea okay it looks goofy visually but I have no problem that she can use a bit of force in space to drag herself to safety, I was sure that is her exit when I first saw the movie and then bam surprise. On another hand is that we got to see Leia and Luke interact a little bit so that's a plus.. no idea how they will take her out now between movies or if they have some extra footage ready for us to surprise us.

All I'm saying is not that big of a deal, okay some like the scene and some don't but does it really matter ? think about it whats so gamebreaking about it, they wanted to show us a twist and so they did is anyone really surprise she can use a bit of force ? is it the goofy looking stance ? or the fact she is in space or what. A fantasy movie with a few seconds of space action if you will, make a meme and a joke and move on for crying out loud. :D

The Leia scene.. yea okay it looks goofy visually but I have no problem that she can use a bit of force in space to drag herself to safety, I was sure that is her exit when I first saw the movie and then bam surprise. On another hand is that we got to see Leia and Luke interact a little bit so that's a plus.. no idea how they will take her out now between movies or if they have some extra footage ready for us to surprise us.

I don't I can describe it as anything other than a "ghoulish" decision to employ a fake-out death scene of Leia immediately after Carrie Fisher actually died.

I don't think it was ideal. I liked the projection battle with Kylo and that whole sequence in general...until Luke died. All of the benefit of that sequence had been achieved, and he would still have been around for a better death, having been properly built up to in the next film.

With lessons potentially learned and real questions asked: is nonviolent resistance actually a possible path to victory against an evil empire? Did Kylo learn any moral lessons from that encounter to employ in the next one against Luke? Etc.

The force projection fight was one of the only things I would keep from The Last Jedi. It was legitimately well done.

But by simply not killing Jake S. for the f*** of it right afterward, there could have been something rewarding down the road like...

...or...

...or...

...instead of...

I+have+that+now+starts+in+crap+places+_9f783b9be4d4c9d85e7d7bf532899753.gif

I wasn't ready to see Luke go and it was shocking when it happened. In retrospect they got implied to us that this move is very taxing and high level.

Snoke (that potentially was even stronger then Luke) manage to connect 2 people but what Luke did is was manage to connect himself to EVERYONE he appeared to everyone looking at him it was what Snoke did times 1000. Remember Kylo dropped that little info that "this would have killed you Rey" if she tried to do the force connect thing.

Can it be a combination of exhaustion from the act and also that he was at peace and ready to move on ?

It's a hard day at the office for any Star Wars fan seeing Luke go, that alone is triggering so many around here and then they put it how he was presented and that he 'didn't deliver the action' cause they instantly skip on this illusion projection thing they aren't on board with it and that's it the rest is just nitpicks around their main problem and they instantly put the TLJ in the trash can when in reality looking at it objectively this could be one of the best Star Wars films we got, it sure is dark and grim and maybe that's to much for someone going into Star Wars expecting their light action and feel good moments.

Small things amuse small minds.

That leia poppins shit sucked.

Still, it was done before carrie died, so their "fake out" was accidental.

I wasn't ready to see Luke go and it was shocking when it happened. In retrospect they got implied to us that this move is very taxing and high level.

Snoke (that potentially was even stronger then Luke) manage to connect 2 people but what Luke did is was manage to connect himself to EVERYONE he appeared to everyone looking at him it was what Snoke did times 1000. Remember Kylo dropped that little info that "this would have killed you Rey" if she tried to do the force connect thing.

Can it be a combination of exhaustion from the act and also that he was at peace and ready to move on ?

It's a hard day at the office for any Star Wars fan seeing Luke go, that alone is triggering so many around here and then they put it how he was presented and that he 'didn't deliver the action' cause they instantly skip on this illusion projection thing they aren't on board with it and that's it the rest is just nitpicks around their main problem and they instantly put the TLJ in the trash can when in reality looking at it objectively this could be one of the best Star Wars films we got, it sure is dark and grim and maybe that's to much for someone going into Star Wars expecting their light action and feel good moments.

I think something that significant should be written to resonate directly on an emotional level in the moment, and on the first viewing, and not require going back through the film to intellectualize it as more taxing than what Snoke did after the movie is over.

Some things lend themselves well to realization later on - but these tend to be factual, logical or intellectual aspects of the plot. I think if a key emotional moment relies on later pondering after the fact, it is a failure in writing.

That's funny coming from the guy with over 100 posts in this thread.
You're definitely trolling me. I was very clear in my half a dozen & counting explanations that I have been avoiding it in the last couple of weeks since I gave the thread back. This is what you do... you alter reality with troll words to try & confuse reality. The fact is that I have been avoiding just like I said.
No I remember you in there before the release trying to dictate the flow of the discussion like you are known to do. I don't recall it being very effective. Then you went into full on denial mode once it was apparent the movie was a flop.
More reality bending. It is just as I said. I went on a specific mission to bash the haters who were swarming this thread. I wanted to make it just as uncomfortable for them to be here as it was for me to listen to their constant cackling. It was very effective & you yourself went full defensive many time... in fact you've done it today & I wasn't even trying.

I was never in denial about the movie's sales. I had a theory that it would bounce back & I told you all about it. You're being dramatic with this bull sh*t your saying here.
I twist everything yet you're the one claiming there are no more than a handful of people who dislike the movie.
I have mentioned many times in here that this particular part of my posting is me giving the trolls a taste of their own medicine. Yes, I do indulge in trolling the trolls with that particular statement. & I will continue to do so. You can either sit back & enjoy the show or continue to act like you are calling me out on something that I'm un-aware of, but you're only exposing yourself because I'm pretty sure I've told you personally this stuff before. It's a bit silly to throw it back on me like you're exposing me lol...

It's not that I have a superior understanding of movies compared to most people, it's that you have an inferior understanding of them compared to most people.

Nice... see how I recognize when you're trolling me. How silly would it be of me to take you seriously.

It's bullsh*t like this that makes me troll you. Don't you see? If you & your people didn't say bullsh*t like this, then I wouldn't feel the need to troll you by declaring that there's only 3 of you here who don't like TLJ.

Strange I have to spell all this out to a master troll such as yourself.
In other words "just turn your brain off and enjoy the movie."
I feel you're not trolling me here... & that you actually don't know the difference.

I have entered this comunity of movie critics here in the last year & a half or so. It really surprised me about the problems many of you point out. In fact I noticed myself several times watching a movie & instead of being taken in by the movie... & having a legit experience... I found myself thinking about it like a critic. It was a very profound moment. I'm sorry if you don't understand the difference. Perhaps you are too far gone. I think the majority of the people who frequent these posts are so into the process of movie making & who did it & how they did it, that they have lost something along the way of just taking in a story & experiencing it. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.

I'm not saying there's any right or wrong way to watch a movie.... because it's all for entertainment & if doing a RedLetterMedia style viewing is what entertains you then there's nothing wrong with that. What I am saying is that there's a whole other way of enjoying a movie that you're missing when you just take it in without being critical or cynical or anything. You just give yourself to the movie.

I don't I can describe it as anything other than a "ghoulish" decision to employ a fake-out death scene of Leia immediately after Carrie Fisher actually died.

I think they finished the filming and the plan was set in stone at that point.

Don't know what to say would you have cut it all out after real life happened with her ? like let the Luke and Leia moment on the cutting room floor ? all her scenes axed or just honor or and her last work and present it all. I don't know what the right call is and I don't know what extra material they have and how they will wrap it up in 9.. maybe we do see a recast of her role who knows.

2 general statement saying you disagree with me but no specific reasoning.

I tried to make this reply as generic as possible... how'd I do?
because I'm not getting into a debate with you in this. you have keen e-cardio and it's essentially a battle of attrition with you and @Mariah Larry, wearing down people who disagree with your opinions of the movie. I know you know what a false equivalence is and since I quoted your posts in both instances where you compared thanos to snoke, my statement should suffice. nothing personal but I stopped reading most of these threads you two regularly participate in because of the pages and pages of mostly two individuals who seem to be unwilling to accept that many people didnt like the movie and the direction the universe seem to be taking. this is the last I post on the matter so I concede that you have more time to argue/debate about it.

inb4 Mariahs gif response

Last edited:
You guys spinning the lousiness that is in this movie is like a friend justifying fucking someone horrible.

But but but shes artistic and has a good personality.

A turd is a turd.

Or is it terd?

"Not that bad" is a fair description. But it's the same way I'd describe something like Lethal Weapon 3 or Predators.

I liked Predators, I thought Adrien Brody was great. I didn't like Lethal Weapon 3 because there was too much comedy.

These aren't films I would recommend to anyone, but I liked them.

I think something that significant should be written to resonate directly on an emotional level in the moment, and on the first viewing, and not require going back through the film to intellectualize it as more taxing than what Snoke did after the movie is over.

Some things lend themselves well to realization later on - but these tend to be factual, logical or intellectual aspects of the plot. I think if a key emotional moment relies on later pondering after the fact, it is a failure in writing.

I think movies can be complicated, I think art in general isn't black or white it can take more views and more opinions and different angles to finally get it all.

Rian Johnson for all his problems isn't a hack.. I think he is judged to harshly and people are way to emotional on him and many are in full on mob mentality.

I think they finished the filming and the plan was set in stone at that point.

Don't know what to say would you have cut it all out after real life happened with her ? like let the Luke and Leia moment on the cutting room floor ? all her scenes axed or just honor or and her last work and present it all. I don't know what the right call is and I don't know what extra material they have and how they will wrap it up in 9.. maybe we do see a recast of her role who knows.

Yeah, I'd have probably ditched the Luke / Leia stuff. And I would have never written in the significance of the dice. I'd have added some stuff to build up and add more significance to the moment of Leia's being blasted into space, and perhaps moved it to later on in the movie (as far as would be allowed). The way the film seemed indifferent to the passage of time in the relative storylines, this wouldn't have been difficult. It almost played like they moved Leia's "death" scene to earlier in the plot.

Her death could have been a motivator for Luke and it would have added more gravity to his decision to use nonviolence against Kylo.

Yeah, I'd have probably ditched the Luke / Leia stuff. And I would have never written in the significance of the dice. I'd have added some stuff to build up and add more significance to the moment of Leia's being blasted into space, and perhaps moved it to later on in the movie (as far ahead as would be allowed). The way the film seemed indifferent to the passage of time in the relative storylines, this wouldn't have been difficult. It almost played like they moved Leia's "death" scene to earlier in the plot.

Her death could have been a motivator for Luke and it would have added more gravity to his decision to use nonviolence against Kylo.

People are already upset they didn't get a Luke and Han moment if we take away the Luke and Leia moment forget about it. :D

I think movies can be complicated, I think art in general isn't black or white it can take more views and more opinions and different angles to finally get it all.

Rian Johnson for all his problems isn't a hack.. I think he is judged to harshly and people are way to emotional on him and many are in full on mob mentality.

There have been many characters in film that I didn't want to die, but whose death scenes I am very glad I got to experience. The list is enormous, actually.

Luke's death scene isn't on the list though.

There have been many characters in film that I didn't want to die, but whose death scenes I am very glad I got to experience. The list is enormous, actually.

Luke's death scene isn't on the list though.

I never would want to lose any characters that I like so much and are iconic but sometimes it needs to happen what can you do, I do accept the way it happened it could have been much much worse so I'll take it and move on.

because I'm not getting into a debate with you in this. you have keen e-cardio and it's essentially a battle of attrition with you and @Mariah Larry, wearing down people who disagree with your opinions of the movie. I know you know what a false equivalence is and since I quoted your posts in both instances where you compared thanos to snoke, my statement should suffice. nothing personal but I stopped reading most of these threads you two regularly participate in because of the pages and pages of mostly two individuals who seem to be unwilling to accept that many people didnt like the movie and the direction the universe seem to be taking. this is the last I post on the matter so I concede that you have more time to argue/debate about it.
inb4 Mariahs gif response
Why is it me? Don't look now but the same 3 people are on the other side of it quoting me right back yeah? It's not like I'm hunting them. Actually I just made a simple post today & they started tagging me. I've been answering quotes TO ME all day.

You have me figured wrong. I'm not trying to convince anyone. I'm just giving my point of view & anyone can take it or leave it. It may seem like I have that agenda when someone says something & I counter it... but I'm not looking for them to do anything.

It would be nice if they'd acknowledge it when I make a good point they hadn't thought of... but that seems to be beyond the capacity of most of the resistance here. I do actually listen to the things other people say & adjust my opinion as I see fit. I acknowledge it when they make a good counter point. So when you say that I'm "unwilling to accept that other people don't like the movie" you're missing the point of what I'm doing. I'm just discussing the movie.

Funny thing is that I haven't been in these threads in weeks & everyone's going on as if I'm here all the time.

I digress that I have resorted to a bit of primitive trolling with the one thing I say where I'm making it out like there's only a dozen or so people who don't like TLJ... but on the real... the resistance is so over the top trolling that you gotta give me that little bit. Most of what I say is from the heart & real.

I've seen the movie 6 times.

If you don't understand what your gripe is well enough to describe it then I certainly don't have time to try & decipher your hidden code here. As I recall the situation... you said that because they indicated that there's more than one dreadnaught... that makes all the information I posted about how the First order has 30 more Star Destroyers bunk... because that one dreadnaught indicates that the first order had one more ship than we saw on screen.

I'll give you partial credit for that... since they did indicate they had "MORE" military... but I gave you specifics... & I gave you 30 more ships to your one. That's a significant difference. VERY SIGNIFICANT. Each Star Destroyer has 70,000 people on it & 144 tie fighters. & there's 30 of those mother f*ckerz. that's a lot more significant than the one more dreadnaught that you're talking about.

You also failed to acknowledge what I said about the New Republic's military. Until you can present me with evidence from the movie that says the New Republic has a military outside of the one that got blown up in TFA... then you have to admit that my essay had pertinent information. You cannot have a war if one side is wiped out. I showed you that the New Republic has an existing military... & that information is not presented in the movie. It's also a very common misconception among casual viewerz that the New Republic was completely disarmed.... so it seems like the New Republic is a sitting duck... but they are not. You are welcome for me providing that information to you.

You're making a grand stand against me... but I'm just being real. I told you some valid information & you're trying to discredit it for some reason. My info is valid & you're just being an ass trying say otherwise.

I’m not debunking what you put, I gave reasons it’s not nessesary.

One I gave two examples of how the audience would know there is more first order out there. So the reading material isn’t necessary, the other you didn’t comprehend and went off on another tangent.

Like I said, reread what you wrote, how I responded too it and go back and watch the movie again. Maybe then you’ll figure it out but it was plain as day to me and the way I wrote it.

I’m not debunking what you put, I gave reasons it’s not nessesary.

One I gave two examples of how the audience would know there is more first order out there. So the reading material isn’t necessary, the other you didn’t comprehend and went off on another tangent.

Like I said, reread what you wrote, how I responded too it and go back and watch the movie again. Maybe then you’ll figure it out but it was plain as day to me and the way I wrote it.
How bout you quote me this illusive clear statement you wrote. i have no idea what you're talking about. You came back saying my whole breakdown was un-necessary & obvious & you still have not answered to what I said about the New Republic's military. that is absolutely valid information. You cannot have a war if one side is wiped out.

I supplied you with the information that showed you the New Republic still has a military & you did not know that before i told you. There fore you could not know there could be a war because you previously thought the New Republic's miliary was wiped out.

So the information I posted was valid & you're just being an ass by trying to debunk it.

Yea I was going crazy when I saw it :D

I was also triggered by the lightsaber I was so confused but I loved every second of it.

In retrospect is there any way better to have Luke die ? he was at peace, saved a bunch of lives, didn't kill his own family in fact didn't kill no one and he didn't got cut down in battle or something like that he just went out looking at the suns to echo/parallel the young Luke also looking up at the suns.

C'mon man this was the way to go.. yea we can debate if it should have happened in ep 9 not 8 but this is it.

m1mv5qtvr1f01.png

It has some poetic qualities to it, but it was poorly executed.

I'm going to watch The Thing 2011 again tomorrow, I remember it being not that bad.
Saw it for the first time a few week ago. It was pretty good. Not a patch on the Carpenter remake, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Back