Strength in Interesting Places

On the road again

Okay, sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to the UK (Newcastle, specifically).

In terms of S&C, today is not a bad day for a break- had a surprisingly decent weights session the day before yesterday, and a good run yesterday. Tomorrow I will check out the public gym close to my parents' house, and also start scouting some routes for some nice runs in the area.

I know some really nice routes about 10km out of town in the hills, as I used to live up there when I was a kid and visited quite often. But it would need to drive out, which probably wouldn't be practical- a shame, as I would love to run around there. When I was a 9 year old kid, the school bus used to drop us at the bottom of the valley, we would run uphill for about 3 miles, some of the hills really long and brutal, to get back in time to watch our favourite cartoons. I'd like to re-trace that run- I bet it would kill me.

On the road again

Okay, sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to the UK (Newcastle, specifically).

So I was arguing with someone the other day about the British Empire and how it still influences all.
I go on to say: yea there's even this guy that posts in the weight lifting forums who's basically a white collar soldier....

british-empire.jpg

So I was arguing with someone the other day about the British Empire and how it still influences all.
I go on to say: yea there's even this guy that posts in the weight lifting forums who's basically a white collar soldier....

british-empire.jpg

Nice pic. And that's an interesting description of me...

How long you in Newcastle for Jaunty? Only visited there once, when the UFC was there, and I really liked it.

How long you in Newcastle for Jaunty? Only visited there once, when the UFC was there, and I really liked it.

I'll just be there a couple of weekends. I'm actually staying with my parents in the borders of Scotland most of the time, plus 4 nights in London.

Actually very pleased to be here, even more so as I just went to the public gym, and they have a power rack, bar, bench and plates as well as the normal stuff. So I will be able to work out properly while I was here. Actually had a decent session just now- will log later.

That's cool about the gym, and probably quite surprising I expect!

Don't know when you're in London, but if you have time / want to, let me know if you wan't to meet up. I could try and get you a guest pass for my gym if you want to workout while you're there.

Loggin'

Yesterday

Squats
20kg x5, x5
40kg x3, x3
60kg x2, x2
80kg x1
90kg x2
95kg x2
100kg x1
102.5kg x1
105kg x1
90kg x5, x5, x5

Bench
20kg x5, x5
30kg x3, x3
40kg x2, x2
52.5kg x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Row
50kg x5
60kg x3
70kg x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

50/20
10x5 lunges (20kg/15kg) & 10x5 incline DB bench (9kg) in 20 minutes

Other assistance
Superset of 5x10 tricep brodowns and bicep curls, very fast

Notes
Wanted to squat a little heavier yesterday. It was hard- maybe it is the weight loss, maybe 5x3 isn't enough stimulus. Bench was very nice, rows were heavy but satisfying. For 50/20 I normally do LTEs with lunges, but didn't have the setup I like so decided to do some incline bench. As I am still babying my shoulder a bit I used light dumbbells, which made this more like a rest between lunges than anything else. I messed up the lunges a bit by not warming up, and they made the front of my quads a bit painful. Had to reduce the weight in order to get 50 reps done. But in doing so I discovered that making my lunges a bit longer actually makes them easier, as my back leg bends less, and straightening out that was the hardest part for me. Finished with some pump.

Today

1. LISS- treadmill jog, 50 minutes.
2. Some extras- 5x10 flyes, "six back" isoholds, 3x8 front shoulder raises with 5kg

A lot of the "pump" stuff I am just getting used to the movements, and in general I am not worrying about the weights. At some point I will log this stuff more carefully.

That's cool about the gym, and probably quite surprising I expect!

Don't know when you're in London, but if you have time / want to, let me know if you wan't to meet up. I could try and get you a guest pass for my gym if you want to workout while you're there.

I probably should- as it looks now, I probably won't get into a gym that whole week. But I think it will be hard to get the time as my schedule is pretty packed.

Thanks for the offer though!

Since you are temporarily away from being a "white-collar soldier" and are in the U.K., I expect something like this from you:

MV5BNDA0NzI1MzAxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ0MTgwOA@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

50/20 using Lunges sounds disgusting. That has to be painful. Anything much over 5 reps on Lunges and I'm breathing pretty good.

Since you are temporarily away from being a "white-collar soldier" and are in the U.K., I expect something like this from you:

MV5BNDA0NzI1MzAxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQ0MTgwOA@@._V1._SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

More Joe/Gandi image-embedding woes?

50/20 using Lunges sounds disgusting. That has to be painful. Anything much over 5 reps on Lunges and I'm breathing pretty good.

It is indeed disgusting. As much like a nasty anaerobic exercise like burpees as it is like a strength exercise. But my glutes, hams and quads are already notably more swolt, so it is worth it.

I'm determined to acquire Jaunty points before I leave on my 2 year mission for my church.
Also, is this in lbs or kilos? I suspect kilos, it's the only thing that makes sense... But I had to ask :/

I'm determined to acquire Jaunty points before I leave on my 2 year mission for my church.
Also, is this in lbs or kilos? I suspect kilos, it's the only thing that makes sense... But I had to ask :/

Good luck... it is not easy to acquire JauntyPoints, but those few who do are exalted indeed.

And, yes, everything is in kilos unless it's indicated otherwise: a lot of the dumbbells in my various gyms are marked in pounds, while the plates are in kilos. And even in kilos it doesn't make much sense. For various reasons, I am lifting terribly light weights in pretty much every exercise that I do.

I am lunge- and you can, too

Deadlifts
50kg x5
70kg x5
90kg x3
110kg x3, x3, x3, x3, x3

Overhead press
Some dumbbell presses, some rotator cuff stuff with bands
20kg x5
22.5kg x3
25kg x2
30kg x1
32.5kg x5, x5, x5, x5, x5

Lat pulldowns FTW
50lbs x10
70lb x5
100lbs x8, x8, x8, x8, x8

"50/20"
8x5 lunges with 20kg dumbbells (each side)
8x5 rows with 30kg dumbbells (each side)
Total = 40 reps of each in 20 minutes (each side)

Teh pump
Girls' pushups' pyramid to 11
4x15 bicep curls and 4x10 tricep rope brodowns

Notes
- Deadlifts felt great; smooth and easy, back position felt right
- OHP was good, felt it more in the legs and trunk than arms and shoulders
- Nowhere to do chins so did some lat pulldowns, really focussing on scapular retraction and getting my elbows right down to my ribs
- For 50/20 I was planning to do front squats but the bar was in use; since lunges are hideous and awful and beat the crap out of me, I decided that I should do them again; did some rows to go with it; this was hard in most respects, including grip as the dumbbells had fatter handles than normal
- Some good pump afterwards; I've been neglecting the girls' pushups, but I mustn't- these are great for getting teh pump in the pecs, which is one of the most athletic kind of pump.

Pec pump ? Oh, jolly good good, chap. Jolly good!

Good luck

13982137_gal.jpg

I don't know who you are. I don't know why you won't give me Jaunty points. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me Jaunty points now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

13982137_gal.jpg

I don't know who you are. I don't know why you won't give me Jaunty points. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you give me Jaunty points now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

This is definitely a new approach to getting JPs. One that I am not entirely opposed to.

Back