stuart cooper roy dean beef

Until we hear from both side, I'll believe the BJJ Black belt over the guy who makes movies.

Also, Cooper's "please donate" to fund his world traveling is annoying and phony to me. He makes good videos, no doubt, but he doesn't show any more integrity than anyone off the street.

Actually the guy has spent untold numbers of hours filming, editing and uploading these videos for free. Hours of amazing, inspiring, artistic work for us to get psyched on.

Completely for free.

You don't think he has more integrity than someone "off the street" for asking to be paid for the work he's been doing for free? That you have enjoyed for zero cost?

Ok.

Actually the guy has spent untold numbers of hours filming, editing and uploading these videos for free. Hours of amazing, inspiring, artistic work for us to get psyched on.

Completely for free.

You don't think he has more integrity than someone "off the street" for asking to be paid for the work he's been doing for free? That you have enjoyed for zero cost?

Ok.

So what? He makes videos, that's what videographers do if you don't know. Doesn't give him any more integrity than the next guy. "untold hours of filming" blah blah... gtfo with that crap. We all work. You think he puts out his videos for "free" because he doesn't get anything from it? You're naive.

The difference here is that he's bashing the name of a BJJ black belt that's pretty well-respected. Not staying quite about it and taking the high road and keeping it between men, like Dean is doing, but publicly bashing on internet forums without an explanation. That shows me weak character.

Again, until I hear both sides, Cooper doesn't deserve any more respect than any guy off the street.

I do a "love knot" that I learned from Reilly B...close enough for ya?

And I think it's the opposite...I think it's Cooper that's mad. Roy used them black belt pickup lines like "Say girl, tonight we working on your inverted guard retention." or "I may be a black belt in passing guard, but tonight i'm gonna ground and pound ya from within it." and Cooper was all like "Daaaaaaamn eff this dude."

I think you just wrote the script for the next stuart cooper movie!

So what? He makes videos, that's what videographers do if you don't know. Doesn't give him any more integrity than the next guy. "untold hours of filming" blah blah... gtfo with that crap. We all work. You think he puts out his videos for "free" because he doesn't get anything from it? You're naive.

The difference here is that he's bashing the name of a BJJ black belt that's pretty well-respected. Not staying quite about it and taking the high road and keeping it between men, like Dean is doing, but publicly bashing on internet forums without an explanation. That shows me weak character.

Again, until I hear both sides, Cooper doesn't deserve any more respect than any guy off the street.

I don't think he was bashing on internet forums... those quotes were taken from his youtube page after a bunch of people asked him why he took the video down.

He didn't announce he took it down. He just did it quietly.

Then people pestered him for why. If you look at the thread... he tried not to answer.

Then someone brought up their concern that "was it because Roy did something similar to Lloyd Irvin? Because if he did, it's important for us to know!"

That's when stuart replied with some of the stuff I copy and pasted....

If he made a big announcement while taking down the video, then I could see why you'd be upset... but otherwise...

Exactly. Why the F is any of this in a public forum. Juvenile.

Until we hear from both side, I'll believe the BJJ Black belt over the guy who makes movies.

Also, Cooper's "please donate" to fund his world traveling is annoying and phony to me. He makes good videos, no doubt, but he doesn't show any more integrity than anyone off the street.

You would probably tip a waiter or cab driver, why not tip a guy that spends his time, money, and effort to entertain you?

You would probably tip a waiter or cab driver, why not tip a guy that spends his time, money, and effort to entertain you?

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that the little logos you see in Stuart's films are what we call sponsors.

And sponsors pay money.

I'm not against tipping people, etc, etc.

But it is what it is.

I'm a total Roy Dean nut hugger, but honestly, this shit is great.

BJJ is like the real life Hong Kong Kung Fu styles of the Ip Man movies. I love hearing about style vs. style and lineage and masters feuding with each other and school rivalries and dojo storms and brothers and sons fighting each other for honor and women coming between them and love and betrayal. It is just great shit for a book.

Keep it up.

We need more of this and fewer threads about sexual perversity and crimes around here.

Completely for free.

Ok.

I agree. Stuart Cooper's videos are actually a pretty huge contribution to our tiny subculture. He is kind of doing for grappling what Warren Miller did for skiing. We're really lucky he exists.

Guess I'm not the only one who was getting this weird bullshit Zen vibe.

Yeah, when I watched that video, something just didn't ring true. Hard to explain...it was beautifully shot...but somehow lacked authenticity or verisimiltude. I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

Being good at strangling people and knowing which way to point a camera imply exactly the same thing about personal morality: fuck all.

Being good at strangling people and knowing which way to point a camera imply exactly the same thing about personal morality: fuck all.

That, and Cooper is a legit practitioner of the art himself. He is also one of the few people who have had the opportunity to meet and train with a large number of the high level competitors and coaches. The only others that come to mind initially are Budo Jake and Graugart.
If anyone can speak to differences in culture or attitude of a gym or instructor, it would be these guys. They have insight into the wider community of BJJ than the majority of us who barely get out of our local scene ever will have.

so a BJJ black belt is somehow morally superior to guys making movies (who also happen to be brown belts)? is there some special test you must pass before getting your black belt that guarantees you are a stand up guy?

that's the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure that the little logos you see in Stuart's films are what we call sponsors.

And sponsors pay money.

I'm not against tipping people, etc, etc.

But it is what it is.

If you watched him in Eddie Bravo Radio, you would know those pay him very little and something he just gets something in exchange for it.

I don't know why you would be against tipping a guy that spends tons of time, money end effort to inspire and entertain people.

so a BJJ black belt is somehow morally superior to guys making movies (who also happen to be brown belts)? is there some special test you must pass before getting your black belt that guarantees you are a stand up guy?

that's the dumbest thing i've heard in a while.

Depends who you get your belt under. But there should be. A black belt is a great honour that I wouldn't give to someone who I wasn't confident would represent correctly. Then again, im in no position to give anyone a black belt.
As for everyone speculating about what went on here : let them work it out.

Like mr cooper said, if it was loyd irvine stuff he'd speak out. But its not. Its interpersonal. So its probably none of your business or concern.

I am grateful to and respectful of stuart cooper for his videos, and to roy dean for his instructional material. And I'm quite comfortable leaving it at that. Leave the who done it internet detective stuff for more important stuff.

Last edited:
Depends who you get your belt under. But there should be. A black belt is a great honour that I wouldn't give to someone who I wasn't confident would represent correctly.

and how would you go about making sure they would represent it correctly?

a black belt in BJJ means that you are very good at BJJ. it has absolutely fuck all to do with morality. this whole zen warrior ninja honorable knight act some people put on is disturbing.

and how would you go about making sure they would represent it correctly?

a black belt in BJJ means that you are very good at BJJ. it has absolutely fuck all to do with morality. this whole zen warrior ninja honorable knight act some people put on is disturbing.

I would watch how the conduct themselves in my gym and in life.

A black belt actually means that I endorse you as an instructor. And to me, character is an extremely important part of such an endorsement.

To be fair, if they were a low life, i'd ask them to leave my gym long before they got their bb from me. But no person I was uncertain about the character of would ever receive a blackbelt from me. And no person I was sure of the lack of character of would ever achieve a rank above blue from me.

I know helio didnt give instructors belts to people he was unsure of the character of, and im fairly confident that his sons wouldnt either. But im am sure that there are people who would.

Please note : I speak from a position of low rank and dont mean to sound like im preaching. And I agree that the initial statement that the poster "trusts the black belt over the film maker brown belt", automatically, is retarded. But the idea a black belt has NOTHING to do with eprsonal character SHOULD also be false.

Damn, this fucking sucks. It sounds like one of them is a shitty guy. We just don't know which one. And this is really sad because both guys seem like good guys who are genuinely passionate about their craft and both appear to be very respectable and honorable men. I am a big fan of Cooper and Dean and it saddens me that one of them might be a fake ass weasel type of guy. Sounds like one of them is, and whoever it is...it will be a big let down to a lot of people.

Final note...I really hope it isn't about a girl. That would be really petty and silly...adolescent shit.

Damn, this fucking sucks. It sounds like one of them is a shitty guy. We just don't know which one. And this is really sad because both guys seem like good guys who are genuinely passionate about their craft and both appear to be very respectable and honorable men. I am a big fan of Cooper and Dean and it saddens me that one of them might be a fake ass weasel type of guy. Sounds like one of them is, and whoever it is...it will be a big let down to a lot of people.

Final note...I really hope it isn't about a girl. That would be really petty and silly...adolescent shit.

I feel the same way.

Back