Switzerland Bans Boiling Lobster Alive.

Supposedly the most humane way to kill them is by putting a cleaver through their head.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan or anti-meat or whatever...but this was horrifying to watch for some reason

Honestly if I didnt love meat as much as I do, I'd probably go vegetarian,

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan or anti-meat or whatever...but this was horrifying to watch for some reason

Honestly if I didnt love meat as much as I do, I'd probably go vegetarian,
It's rough to watch, but the alternative is boiling alive. Pick your poison.

Where’s the link to the study in the OP’s article that suggest crustaceans are sentient? I’m not seeing it.

The "study" suggests they may feel some version of pain. *rolleyes* duhhh

There numerous articles about it. From an environment point of view, it is necessary due to the massive amount of food and necessary in addition to all the greenhouse gasses released by cattle. Water probably is the biggest issue but it will have to happen. What will happen when California runs dry? It is happening based on satellite imagery. Same in India. 12.5% of greenhouse gas emission comes from cattle. Meat is going to get really expensive at some point due to the demand for fresh water. We have it cheap here due to farmers have cheap access to water and subsidies but without those beef would be $10-12 a lb. How many can afford beef if the price rose to $20-30 lbs?
i don't mean that I doubt the meat prices will continue to rise. I mean that I doubt you will see affordable, quality meat products from from cell cultures or something like that. Tons of technical issues, tons of individual processes rather than the one "test tube meat process", consumer reluctance, etc etc etc.

Pain is pain. Get your shitty comparisons out of here.
Outside PETA crazies you will find few in humanity who agree with that.

if they did then we would be obliged to put the same effort we do into preventing human pain and death from other animals into protecting all animals.

Fact is for almost all animals (not human) pain via death via predator is a natural part of their life cycle. Even if humans stay entirely out of the process (we all go vegan) those same animals will almost certainly die via predation in a painful way. Animals are not typically dying of old age peacefully in their sleep. So man being part of that SAME cycle is really of no meaningful consequence.

i mean we can anthropomorphise animals in a way we lie to ourselves that our actions (being part of the predation cycle) matters but it is meaningless to the animals themselves. We should not pretend or lie to ourselves that we are doing it for the animals.

So many autistic :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:s.

The poor lobster <DCrying>

Just kidding enjoy wondering why you are a fucking losers

Outside PETA crazies you will find few in humanity who agree with that.

if they did then we would be obliged to put the same effort we do into preventing human pain and death from other animals into protecting all animals.

Fact is for almost all animals (not human) pain via death via predator is a natural part of their life cycle. Even if humans stay entirely out of the process (we all go vegan) those same animals will almost certainly die via predation in a painful way. Animals are not typically dying of old age peacefully in their sleep. So man being part of that SAME cycle is really of no meaningful consequence.

i mean we can anthropomorphise animals in a way we lie to ourselves that our actions (being part of the predation cycle) matters but it is meaningless to the animals themselves. We should not pretend or lie to ourselves that we are doing it for the animals.

Yes mother nature is cruel, that doesn't mean boiling something alive should be ok... We are humans, we have the ability to give it a clean death. This is what seperates us from everything else.

Mate if I was driving around and there was a barbecue place, and the food on it was someone's leg, chances are I'd give that shit a try (with some seasoning of course, I am not a monster)

Yes mother nature is cruel, that doesn't mean boiling something alive should be ok... We are humans, we have the ability to give it a clean death. This is what seperates us from everything else.
to a degree I agree. No unnecessary suffering but pain and suffering can be part of the process as as long as it is not gratuitous.

Living animal feels pain.

Hold the front page.

No but you're not eating any of those things you mentioned. Least we can do is show some sort of respect to the things we kill for food. Boiling alive is a bit much on the pain scale and we don't exactly know how long the suffering last.
What does it matter if you're eating any of those things mentioned? They are living beings. We don't think of the most humane way to kill insects, we just spray them with poison. We don't think of humane ways to get rid of mice - we smash their bodies with death contraptions. We don't *really* think of fish when we catch them, we are intentionally tricking them into jabbing a giant hook through their mouths.

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, I get that. But since we both have our own levels, would it be best to not kill anything at all? Or does it really matter at the end of the day?

I do believe a happy cow is a better steak/burger/etc. If it is stressed at the time of death, the muscles tighten and the meat will be tougher. I figure the same should apply to anything else we eat. But can you *really* judge others for not agreeing?

In protest to this pansy bullshit I'm going to start boiling my beef chicken and pork alive.

Good luck fitting a whole beef chicken in commercially available stock pot.

Fine, pass the scissors.

pjPtu.jpg

Child, look what you have done. You have killed me, an insignificant man. But in my place, there shall rise...a god...

Back