Switzerland Bans Boiling Lobster Alive.

I hated the practice even as a kid, but I'm assuming this is a restaurant thing as how are they going to enforce it if it happens in the privacy of one's home?

Where’s the link to the study in the OP’s article that suggest crustaceans are sentient? I’m not seeing it.

Lobster doesn't taste as good when you kill it first. There body releases a lot of proteins that coagulate

Not saying this is remotely a fair comparison but just to play devil's advocate, that is the exact reasoning the scum in many Asian countries who purposely make the animals they intend to cook suffer during the process use.

They die and then the memory of the pain is erased. Oh wait, they probably have no memories because they are no smarter than a large insect. Either way, I don't think this is that harsh practice.

2 things
  1. Death may erase the memory of pain- how does that justify inhumane killing? You can apply that logic to humans as well ("you can boil him alive- he'll die and won't remember the pain").
  2. To say that a lobster is not smarter than a large insect is a guess at best. Switzerland's law is based on a scientific study- not an intuitive hunch.

I don't care. The older I have gotten the more I have come to the realization that people that are inhuman to animals are inhuman. This rule of killing them humanly is just a symbolic gesture towards being humane, which isn't a bad thing.

All this will be moot when they final the process worked out to grow meat in a lab. It is happening in my lifetime and it will change so much. Meat will be cheap and plentiful and water used and waste generated by cattle will no longer be an issue. It will happen in my lifetime.

Last edited:
2 things
  1. Death may erase the memory of pain- how does that justify inhumane killing? You can apply that logic to humans as well ("you can boil him alive- he'll die and won't remember the pain").
  2. To say that a lobster is not smarter than a large insect is a guess at best. Switzerland's law is based on a scientific study- not an intuitive hunch.

Did you read the highlights of the study? The study proved they feel a discomfort similar to pain. Insects do as well, I'm sure. That is how nature makes creatures avoid what is bad for them. So don't drop your "science" argument unless you know what you're talking about. No offense.

2 things

1. I'd be fine using the old boil him alive technique for those on death row. They are going to die anyway.

2. It's a fucking lobster, I'll prepare it anyway I like. As far as how smart they are, I don't care, it's going in my belly.

All this will be moot when they final the process worked out to grow meat in a lab. It is happening in my lifetime and it will change so much. Meat will be cheap and plentiful and water used and waste generated by cattle will no longer be an issue. It will happen in my lifetime.
I doubt that.

Ethically, I think the rule is that you now have to humanely jam a knife in their brain, and split their heads in half, before tossing them in the pot.
It’s the thought that counts

I doubt that.

There numerous articles about it. From an environment point of view, it is necessary due to the massive amount of food and necessary in addition to all the greenhouse gasses released by cattle. Water probably is the biggest issue but it will have to happen. What will happen when California runs dry? It is happening based on satellite imagery. Same in India. 12.5% of greenhouse gas emission comes from cattle. Meat is going to get really expensive at some point due to the demand for fresh water. We have it cheap here due to farmers have cheap access to water and subsidies but without those beef would be $10-12 a lb. How many can afford beef if the price rose to $20-30 lbs?

They die and then the memory of the pain is erased. Oh wait, they probably have no memories because they are no smarter than a large insect. Either way, I don't think this is that harsh practice.

I don't know if many restaurants do this, but when I was younger working at a Steakhouse it was standard practice to insert 2 long wooden skewers down the backs of live lobsters (just under the shell) before boiling them.

The skewering process was introduced to keep lobsters from curling up in the water and running the risk of cooking unevenly.

It was tough to watch, especially considering we had to do it twice to the same lobsters. After one skewer, it was surprised. But on the second skewer it visibly, clearly had enough.

Not saying this is remotely a fair comparison but just to play devil's advocate, that is the exact reasoning the scum in many Asian countries who purposely make the animals they intend to cook suffer during the process use.

Don't forget many traditional practices that keep frogs, squid, and other organisms alive during the dining process

You know life is going well when your parliament is drafting laws protecting the animal rights of lobsters

Mate I was just there and there's far left graffiti everywhere. The hammer and sickle, the Anarchist sign, slogans like 'kill cops!' on walls. They don't seem to have any fucking idea how good they have it lol.

Back