Switzerland Bans Boiling Lobster Alive.

The water is 210F+ with maybe 5 times the volume of the lobster. If you do the calorimetry calculation it would take minutes to come to equilibrium without a heat source. With the stove on, it would barely change temperature.
Perfectly reasonable hypothesis.

Lobster doesn't taste as good when you kill it first. There body releases a lot of proteins that coagulate.

Just put it in the Freezer for 20 minutes before cooker and your Lobster buddy will fall asleep before he gets to enjoy the hot tub.
*Their

At one of my old jobs in a restaurant they would just rip the lobsters heads off while they were alive and put the heads into a box for later to make stock.

Some of the heads would still be moving a day later.

The water is 210F+ with maybe 5 times the volume of the lobster. If you do the calorimetry calculation it would take minutes to come to equilibrium without a heat source. With the stove on, it would barely change temperature.
Then why does the water stop boiling and take several minutes to start again?
I have until I finish this robster to do calculation.

Then why does the water stop boiling and take several minutes to start again?
I have until I finish this robster to do calculation.

It might drop to a little below boiling since it's at boiling but not much more.

Our grandchildren will all have lice and bed bugs because it will be inhumane to kill them

It also keeps it fresh, they should be moved alive for sure and then kill them right when you eat them, you have to take a dagger knife and know where to stab it to put it out humanely and drop it in the water.

you're making a lot of assumptions here but 5:1 is a big one. Boiling a live lobster in a large volume of water is certainly the most humane way to do it, but most people I doubt have such massive pots. The youtube videos I've seen are often people boiling in about the same mass of water or less.

I don't know how I feel about this. Do they get a last meal of their choice or not?

Last edited:
Our grandchildren will all have lice and bed bugs because it will be inhumane to kill them

Well if you apply the logic outlined in the OP, that if you look at the reaction to death circumstance as an indication for cruelty, then insects do react frantically. They have coded behaviors that are designed to keep them alive.

I could definitely see some people taking it all the way and applying to all living things. Just a matter of how dysfunctional they become as a result.

Ethically, I think the rule is that you now have to humanely jam a knife in their brain, and split their heads in half, before tossing them in the pot.
It's easy enough and that's what I've been doing for years

Ethically, I think the rule is that you now have to humanely jam a knife in their brain, and split their heads in half, before tossing them in the pot.
Thats how i kill my lobsrrers before putting them in wa ter.

Ramsay had a video on it.

good luck getting Asians to do this

I think lobsters are a draw in general.
They put butts in seats, for sure. Those big manly claws, bold red coloration, unflinching stoicism, A level scavenging abilities. Who doesn't appreciate lobsters?

Back