The 2023 Heavies' Awards: Breakthrough Fighter of the Year - WINNER: TOM ASPINALL!

All these filthy casuals who don't know who Kasanganay is...

Voted Ass Penal, the only correct answer.

For me it's not all about what you do the cage, but how you carry yourself out of it
I often think the contrary, i.e. what happens in the cage should nearly always be the sole criterion when it comes to matchmaking, fighter rating/ranking, opportunities, etc...
However I realized that, more often than I'd like to admit, facts totally unrelated to MMA (as a combat sport) make me sway towards opinions I wouldn't have had otherwise.

I think that I mostly fear and dislike the idea that celebrity and spectacle could be bigger factors than fighting skills in your chances at succeeding as a high level fighter. Probably, I may have had a knee-jerk reaction to recent tendencies and events, not to mention the WWE/UFC merger, and the overall importance of social media which I often find annoying.

But yeah, in the end, all things equal, it's true that I'll often favor a fighter I can also respect and relate to, as a man.

On topic : I'm a bit surprised that BSD isn't mentionned in that thread, maybe I'm not understanding what a breakthrough is supposed to be ? Absolutely no bias from me here <Lmaoo>
Anyway, I'll go with Tom.

DDP.

Sergei was a big win for Tom. Pavlovich is a solid dark horse in the division.

That said, Bobby Knuckles is more than a dark horse. Besides Izzy and Poatan, he is THE GUY to beat in the division (still think he handily beat Izzy in the rematch).

The Derek Brunson win was also a bigger W than Tom's win over Tybura.

Went with DDP. Most seen Aspinall has the potential to be something special. Can’t say the majority said the same about DDP.

It got to be Aspinall! A champ is a champ. Otherwise it would be DDP for sure.

Voted for DDP, because he surprised me the most, I didn't think he had it in him. Tom I could see from ages ago that he was very fast for HW and skilled, so it didn't surprise me at all. DDP had some great performances and wins over top guys

Big year for a few guys and gals. This fellow had me sitting up and paying attention. I don't think he had 1/4 of the promoting most of the other guys had but still made some waves.
diegolopes004.jpg
From the list, had to go with Aspinall coming off an injury and crushing the guy Jones didn't want to risk fighting. Aspinall's glove touch/hands on shoulders was a memorable moment as well.
https://media1.tenor.com/m/See4wGe-s-0AAAAd/tom-aspinall-sergei-pavlovich.gif
https://tenor.com/en-CA/view/tom-aspinall-sergei-pavlovich-gif-5325428220902683629

tom-aspinall-sergei-pavlovich.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's kinda wild that not too long ago, Impa was fighting at 170 lbs. That must've been torture to make that weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back